your go to A/B Plugin ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Metric AB is the successor to Sample Magic AB.

PA is having a $40 flash sale on Metric AB. might have to pick it up at that price.

vallaton wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am PA is having a $40 flash sale on Metric AB. might have to pick it up at that price.
With survey voucher, Metric AB can be had for $15. I don't have any A/B plugin nor felt the need for one. Even at $15 I can't justify for myself. :neutral:

PA is killing it with these flash sales. Wait and watch game! :borg:

I might be misinterpreting the question... trying to A/B your own track, meaning, before/after processing or comparing your track against other references?

For the former...

MeterPlugs Perception: https://www.meterplugs.com/perception

Absolutely invaluable. Some will complain about the price (they run occasional sales), but it's more than worth it in my workflow. Why? With others (tried many) you don't get clean and accurate (glitch free) transition from A to B. Doesn't matter what plugins you throw at it (particularly evident for me when using external DSP plugins) when you go to compare it correctly calculates the level and latency differences. Others attempt this, but when I tried them they'd often click, pop or glitch and it makes critical listening much more difficult.

For the latter...

Metric AB. It's great to use for referencing other tracks. It also has much of the functionality of Perception, but I found for before/after processing reference that Perception is more streamlined and efficient. YMMV. Overall, Metric AB is a solid product and you can't beat it especially when it's on sale.

FWIW, I use both within mastering projects (my typical use case), but Perception is used much more. At this point I can't imagine working without it.

For those questioning why to use one at all and "just use your DAW" I think you're missing a critical component. These plugins accurately match level differences between the material. If something is louder, you generally think it's "better", so it's very important to carefully match levels. Can you do this manually? Sure, but it's a huge waste of time IMO when you can automate that. I don't want to spend time manually matching levels after every EQ, compressor or processing change on one track let alone many other reference tracks. YMMV.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm With others (tried many) you don't get clean and accurate (glitch free) transition from A to B. Doesn't matter what plugins you throw at it (particularly evident for me when using external DSP plugins) when you go to compare it correctly calculates the level and latency differences. Others attempt this, but when I tried them they'd often click, pop or glitch and it makes critical listening much more difficult.
MCompare does that. use it when demoing plugins and comparing different FX chains, no pops, no level changes.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:23 pm MCompare does that. use it when demoing plugins and comparing different FX chains, no pops, no level changes.
Good to know!

MetricAB - no discussion about this for me!

MetricAB or HOFA Blindtest

Too fast, too slow
I don't know
Last edited by ReverendLove on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metric AB and MCompare. While I use MCompare for testing FX chains with even loudness, Metric AB has much better tools for analysing reference against bus tracks. MCompare has a blind test. Really different tools, but they complement each other perfectly.,Both deliver very good accuracy in loudness and sample matching.

Didn't even know Mcompare did this for A/B plugin chains nor meterplugs Perception, both seem great I guess I'll pick up whichever goes on sale first

Fleer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 am Metric AB is the successor to Sample Magic AB.
explain
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

g.i.y.f.
MetricAB is the spiritual successor to Sample Magic’s Magic AB plug-in, which was released a few years back, and has been designed by producer Marc Adamo under the name ADPTR Audio in conjunction with Plugin Alliance.
https://www.musictech.net/reviews/plug- ... -metricab/

yw.

Reference (by mastering the mix).
I've also used Magic A/B... but the plugin could not read many MP3s, was unstable and therefore I cannot recommend it.

Oh, so its two different companies but the same dev team like Sonalksis and DMG?
schmerzschlag wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 am g.i.y.f.
MetricAB is the spiritual successor to Sample Magic’s Magic AB plug-in, which was released a few years back, and has been designed by producer Marc Adamo under the name ADPTR Audio in conjunction with Plugin Alliance.
https://www.musictech.net/reviews/plug- ... -metricab/

yw.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”