Alternatives to Geist 2 in 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Killadrum from United Audio Artists
Sequencer, synths, samplers.
It does use the free Reaktor Player.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=541102

Steve Bolivar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:21 pm Killadrum from United Audio Artists
It's not out though, is it?

Steve Bolivar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:21 pm Killadrum from United Audio Artists
Thanks for the suggestion... Shame it's not out.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Melda MDrummer can probably do it all and more... shame it's so convoluted to use that I spend more time trying to figure out how to do things in it than actually do them. Still, if you're willing to invest the time in learning it, there's a pretty impressive feature set. I still poke around at it from time to time, but for the moment XO and Punch 2 are the ones I'm generally working with...

Xfer records nerve is very good and has separate outs and a really good sequencer

Guys and what about Maschine? There is one 2nd hand Mikro MKI for ca €40 few kilometers from where I live. Is it proper drum sampler or not? Thanks for opinions.

boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am Guys and what about Maschine? There is one 2nd hand Mikro MKI for ca €40 few kilometers from where I live. Is it proper drum sampler or not? Thanks for opinions.
Is that just for the controller or are they including the license for the software as well?

Polyplex from NI, Drumcomputer from SugarBytes(unique and dope stuff, especially for being ported to iPad as well) or simply Drumrack in Ableton 😻

Rob Papen's Punch2!
Using a combination of drum synthesis/samples and the built-in pattern sequencer to trigger beats already made Punch a unique drum machine and loved by many upon its first release!.

Now, by adding even more drum synthesis models, and introducing a totally new main screen which allows you to quickly create new drum kits, Punch-2 continues its legacy to be a cutting edge drum machine... but with lots of extra added punch!

Things do not stop there though, the interface and the synthesis sound options have been expanded greatly! Punch-2 now allows you to import your own REX files and samples to turn into your own loops. You can map out REX files or sample slices to individual pads and combine these creatively with the sounds & pattern sequencer found inside Punch-2! Further editing of REX files or Sliced pads is also possible, using filters, envelopes...routing into one of the 4 FX modules. And yes, you can even use granular synthesis on the REX and Slice pads!

Feature-wise there is almost too much to mention here! For instance, there is a full new ‘Master’ section with EQ, Compressor, Limiter, Stereo/mono split filter, and layout mixer.

Last but not least, Punch-2 also comes with a vast amount of included sounds, ready to groove into your music and productions!
https://youtu.be/0BEe9huc63k
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pc2000 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am
boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am Guys and what about Maschine? There is one 2nd hand Mikro MKI for ca €40 few kilometers from where I live. Is it proper drum sampler or not? Thanks for opinions.
Is that just for the controller or are they including the license for the software as well?
It contains Maschine Studio. So I think that Maschine as well... :oops:

Geist 2 is a sampling drum machine and IMO nothing comes close.

Unfortunately, as I was pissed off when FXp dropped support for some older plugs. However they've recently updated, not include it in the 'discontinued' list and Angus FX stated on here that it's part of their future. So for me anyway, my own view of Geist, research into alternatives and the reply from Angus means I've stoped my search.

It ain't perfect but there's nothing better.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

A great alternative to Geist? Ableton Live or Bitwig :tu:

I also have Live.

Maybe it can duplicate somehow all the functions of Geist (can it? who knows.)

Doesn't come close to the experience though, for me. G2 standalone takes me to different places. And in Logic it syncs loops n stuff for preview so it's even got a utility value. Sampling drum machines rock, I got HW and SW.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:16 pm I also have Live.

Maybe it can duplicate somehow all the functions of Geist (can it? who knows.)

Doesn't come close to the experience though, for me. G2 standalone takes me to different places. And in Logic it syncs loops n stuff for preview so it's even got a utility value. Sampling drum machines rock, I got HW and SW.
I didn't learn my lesson with Geist. I bought and sold the first version, and then decided that version 2 was going to be so different. It wasn't, and i sold that recently. Overall I found the program over-stuffed, messy and uninspiring.

For me, it just didn't come close to the flexibility of using a DAW, and it prioritised the parts that were least important to me i.e the pattern sequencer. I wanted it for sound-design, and the ability of easily setting up 4 x 4 pad templates/kits. But now I use a Seaboard for all my finger-drumming, instead of a Korg PadKontrol, it doesn't make much sense to lay out my samples in that manner. And previewing loops is not something I have any real interest in.

I can see that it would probably work out quite well for someone who was trying to recreate a tight, focused MPC experience on a computer, in which case having the flexibility of Live, Bitwig etc. might be too distracting. And if it does take you "to different places", then that's all that matters :tu:

^ Yes, just that. recreates a kinds HW experience and helps me focus on rhythm without distractions which I find essential.

Well, not essential, sometimes I find myself moving individual drum samples along multiple tracks in a kind of (allegedly) Burial approach too, all good, especially in LPX with its tidy arrange view. But when I want that self-contained experience, I ignore the bloat in G2 and just slam it out. Works for me :)

For actual HW and finger drumming on pads, I go for my Electribe Sampler, perfect companion for G2.

Return to “Instruments”