Is Android Dead?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seemed like for a while there Android was starting to pick up speed in terms of audio apps, hardware etc and then it just seems to have died in it's tracks. I know a lot of devs were reluctant to begin with because of the vast variety of hardware, but, as I said, things were starting to ramp up and then just stopped. Anyone know why?
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

there are a shit load of android music apps, but nothing I would even think twice about to make music with.... same with ios

the frustration of doing music on a phone or pad would be ridiculous

I've got a computer, with EVERYTHING i need on it, so i use that

Nice click bait topic title. :P

chk071 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:32 pm Nice click bait topic title. :P
Blow me. I was being serious. No need to be a sarcastic @sshole. As it happens, I use my Galaxy Tab
as a remote to control mixes in Presonus Studio One. They provided a fine app for that. Roland also released an excellent 'droid version of their stompbox tuner. It also is useful as a tab songbook. Korg's droid Kaoscilator is also a lot of fun. I also own IK's IK Multimedia iRig UA. Hardware interface and software. It's no Amplitube but it makes a fine little portable practice rig. All I really want or need in addition is a simple DAW JUST for live recording. Like Presonus Capture or Steinberg Cubasis. There are a few for droid just none that suit me.
Last edited by CapnLockheed on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:26 pm there are a shit load of android music apps, but nothing I would even think twice about to make music with.... same with ios

the frustration of doing music on a phone or pad would be ridiculous

I've got a computer, with EVERYTHING i need on it, so i use that
DUH....I have half a dozen audio computers. That wasn't my question. I'm not a 15 year old with an iPhone that thinks I'm now a producer. When I started recording we used TAPE and edited it with a friggin' razor blade. Thanks for the snarky response.

CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pm

DUH....I have half a dozen audio computers. That wasn't my question.
wasn't my answer
CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pm I'm not a 15 year old with an iPhone that thinks I'm now a producer.
neither am i
CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pmWhen I started recording we used TAPE and edited it with a friggin' razor blade.
same here

CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pm Thanks for the snarky response.
touchy much?

if you can't be arsed to read between the lines, I'll explain in simple language so it easy for you

no demand, they are not serious tools

no demand = no money

CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 pm I'm not a 15 year old with an iPhone that thinks I'm now a producer.
No. You are "Capn Lockheed".

:roll:

chk071 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 pm
No. You are "Capn Lockheed".

:roll:
are you saying your real name is "chk071"?
are you an "android"?

Now you mention it, Caustic3 is still in the app stores, but the website singlecellsoftware.com seems to be reposessed. A shame...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 pm Now you mention it, Caustic3 is still in the app stores, but the website singlecellsoftware.com seems to be reposessed. A shame...
def the best app, but way too fiddly on a small screen

luckily, they do a free version for PC :hihi:

I think it's a legit question. As an outsider, it seems like iOS was built with audio processing in mind. They've got AU, Audiobus, decent MIDI support, low-ish latency. I vaguely remember reading about how Google were working to close the gap and I don't know that's happened.

For all the things I don't like about Apple, and there are a LOT, they do seem to grasp the importance of things like MIDI, and integrating hardware for audio professionals, and having a music friendly OS, at least compared to Microsoft and Google. Where Apple sucks is when they decide to outright break things just because it's been a few years since the last time they broke everything. Not to mention the cost of the hardware.

I'm a Windows guy when it comes to PC's/laptops, prefer Android for some things iOS for either (both have weaknesses the other doesn't), but the music software apps on iOS are much better than on Android overall (in terms of quantity, and interoprability).

As far as I can make out, new major releases of Android exist to make people buy new hardware and little else. There seems to be less and less actually useful in the release each time.

It’s not dead, it’s just resting...

Forgotten wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 pm It’s not dead, it just smells funny...
Ftfy
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Pretty much, they can't compete with ios, and that sucks. It's Apples game,Android simply can't compete unfortunately.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”