RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum Sylenth1

Get Dune 3. Or Hive 2.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm
mschenkel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 pm I regretted to get sylenth in place of serum. As OP said: serum can do everything sylenth does in a more modern way and much more.
That sounds like they sound exactly the same.
Out of curiosity: how were you able to read that in my reply?

My point was that serum is way more versatile with mseg envelopes, arrangeable and modulabe fx, wavetables and all the UI. Never meant to disregard sylenth, it is a fine synth and my go to for bread and butter sounds but let’s be honest, it is far from being a one stop solution for sound design, specially if someone is into complex stuff.
It is a simple, lightweight and they say the best sounding oscillator and filters(like some everyday day listener actually gives a f**k when listening in contest and not thrus analyzers and stuff). But really 2 non loopable envelopes, 2 lfos and 2 Aenv aren’t enough for me most of the times.

OP never implied he needs one stop solution or that he is into complex sound design, he is into music that was made with Sylenth for entire decade, before Serum existed and before wavatables, mseg's and etc were big of a deal.

mschenkel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm
mschenkel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 pm I regretted to get sylenth in place of serum. As OP said: serum can do everything sylenth does in a more modern way and much more.
That sounds like they sound exactly the same.
Out of curiosity: how were you able to read that in my reply?

My point was that serum is way more versatile with mseg envelopes, arrangeable and modulabe fx, wavetables and all the UI. Never meant to disregard sylenth, it is a fine synth and my go to for bread and butter sounds but let’s be honest, it is far from being a one stop solution for sound design, specially if someone is into complex stuff.
It is a simple, lightweight and they say the best sounding oscillator and filters(like some everyday day listener actually gives a f**k when listening in contest and not thrus analyzers and stuff). But really 2 non loopable envelopes, 2 lfos and 2 Aenv aren’t enough for me most of the times.
Fair enough. It's just that such statements often sound to me as if you can easily replace a synth with another, but, it's often not so easy, because they simply don't sound anything like each other.

IMO, Serum and Sylenth1 sound quite different. Serum sounds more clean, "high end" (lot more going on in the higher registers), and the filters sound very different as well. They're both very nice synths in their own right.

antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm Get Dune 3. Or Hive 2.
They are both really good options!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

You won’t go “wrong” with either Sylenth or Serum. That said, you should try Hive 2, Rapid, Dune 3, and Synthmaster demos or at least research them before you make your decision. I don’t know if they have rent-to-own. There are a number of other very capable wavetable synths out there that I did not list. It can be overwhelming.

FWIW, Hive 2 is my favorite primarily wavetable AU/VST.

claudedefaren wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 pm Sigh. Glad there's a foe feature.
Me too... I don't like creepy stalkers. :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 pm OP never implied he needs one stop solution or that he is into complex sound design, he is into music that was made with Sylenth for entire decade, before Serum existed and before wavatables, mseg's and etc were big of a deal.

He/she actually did...rofl

And as as I already posted earlier:
can serum mimic sylenth’s architecture? Yes
The ohter way around? Not really

From my perspective, again my very personal opinion, it is like choosing between a 2 octaves fazioli(sylenth) or a yamaha c with all of its 88 keys. I’ll probably find myself using the standard sounding Yamaha more often despite the heavenly sound of the fazioli.

mschenkel wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 am
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 pm OP never implied he needs one stop solution or that he is into complex sound design, he is into music that was made with Sylenth for entire decade, before Serum existed and before wavatables, mseg's and etc were big of a deal.

He/she actually did...rofl
Where exactly?
kavin2134 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm i know people hate this question, between synths. but this is not one of those, i think. So i make progressive house and trance. For these genres , i wanted to buy my first vst synth. i came down to these two as i had to take the rent2own route. I am actually kinda fixed to sylenth for the ease and the quality of sound that it can produce and is perfect for this genre i believe. but serum ,many people have told is versatile for the more modern genres if i move to them, which fairly i do not want to. People argue that serum can make everything that sylenth can make. So help me guys. Is serum really good for my genres and give me that warm classic sound that im looking for (in addition to being able to make more modern things) or am i better off with going with sylenth as a first synth which is also cheaper.
He's buying his first synth, never mentions it's his last one and never mentions complex sound design, but clearly states his genre and sound preference, which both goes in Sylenth's favor.

For the genres mentioned, I'd second this:
izonin wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm When I think Progressive Trance, it's actually either Spire or Viper/Virus for me. Serum is more Future Bass. Sylenth1 is good, but more limited than Spire.

I would too, if OP wasn't clear about it, even mentions in title to please read what he have to say, he's buying rent-to-own synth, so either Sylenth or Serum...

K. Even though I'd highly recommend to wait a bit, save up, and get what you really want, instead of making quick shots, just because of the rent-to-own requirement. Up to the OP, of course.

Thank you people for all your replies. From what i can see ,serum is definitely more versatile but as "Passing bye" said, the kind of music i want to make was definitely made for a decade using sylenth1. Thats why i was considering it in the first place. Also trance is just very rare for me. so i dont think i need virus/ its emulations as much. So lets come down to this, Should i get Sylenth1 or ANA2 + Synthmaster one??

Notheorem729 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm I was going to suggest sylenth. Mainly because you seem to be more of a musician than a sound designer. Many of the features serum has are useless unless you intend to design complex sounds from the ground up.

However, you are very lucky in this specific situation. Both plugins are available on rent-to-own and both companies allow you to pause your subscription at any time and pick it back up later. Meaning that you can pick one and always switch to the other if you decide things aren't working out. You will also never lose your progress and can always finish one payment and then pick up where you left with the other. You could even decide you have extra money one month and make a payment on each

I recommend owning both for almost anyone planning to do any sort of production. You really are in the best situation possible as far as decisions go because you can literally have both without much trouble. All you need is a little patience.

Hope this helps.

One last thing... serum is great and it use to be my go-to but I own many synths these days and sylenth gets used far more than serum. Serum is great in this comparison but doesn't stand up so well against something like zebra 2 or even pigments.
thank you for the suggestions matey. im no sound designer nor i use any complex sounds. I just want the lush sound like Alesso, SHM, etc so i was looking at which sounds better. So i guess Sylenth it is then, or maybe ANA2+Synthmaster1??

Return to “Instruments”