Bandcamp Search Question

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed a year or 2/3 maybe 4 ago bandcamp did a change to their searches..sort of in a way that it is now very difficult to blindly or semi-blindy search for older music from the 90's to mid 2000's.

Typing Industrial or electronic for example would yield hundreds of pages which you could then find of interest by checking the release dates of said searched music on the search page itself except with now hundreds of pages available to search thus allowing you to really find something from such a date if you had the time and patience for it. You can now only search for about 6 pages before the results end and you can't search any further (unless you know the exact name or EP that you are searching for).

In the older search you could search well beyond the 6th page into the hundreds possibly thousands of pages basically the whole database of the typed word/words you were searching for.
A full deep search which was possible to do and managed to find some great and fairly unique music this way however since they made some changes/updates to the tag search it is no longer possible to do this.

Is there any way to still do a full database search or am i stuck with that tag search and limited pages search where you can only search by newness and popular? Bandcamp used to be truly amazing when they allowed this but it just doesn't seem doable anymore unless i'm missing something.

Thanks for any help.

it's the natural process of popsourcing monetisation. initially, "the people" are what there is to offer, win/win. once you have participation, monetisation begins with selectivity.

i guess this monet guy must have been really something.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I agree there's so much wonderful stuff that so very few get to experience because it's not popular. It isn't being monetized.

We can't fix it.

I had a cassette of some weird stuff I'd recorded off a college radio station and I cannot remember what it was. It was one of my favorite things to listen to when I was a kid. Problem was - just as the song was ending, ran out of tape... and I never knew who the artist was.

And then the tape got all twisted and chewed up. And now it's gone.

I've noticed the same thing and I think it's a problem. What I do now is search Bandcamp on Google using the advanced search and limiting my results to the Bandcamp.com domain. It works way better than searching directly on Bandcamp. Thank you Google!

Yeah google search seems to be the best way to go about it now, even though it still leaves alot to be desired. It's sad when that is the better option than Bandcamp's own search.

I mean i get they want to promote the "new" bands/artists and the new hotness but i can't imagine the full database access have actually have hurt them in the past, all the older/less popular stuff is still in their database so hiding it doesn't really do anything, it's still there just hidden for those who don't know the specific album/EP/song/artist. In this case more options is infact better. Ah well it is what it is

I'll try the specific domain seach seems like the best approach for now, thanks for tip.

Codestation wrote: I had a cassette of some weird stuff I'd recorded off a college radio station and I cannot remember what it was. It was one of my favorite things to listen to when I was a kid. Problem was - just as the song was ending, ran out of tape... and I never knew who the artist was.
That was me, I was hoping you had heard it.

good one

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
if it helps, i just made a site that you can use to search for band names as indicated by their subdomain url. i know this topic is old but i am not going to create a new topic about this since this one has pretty good search ranking for some keywords. :lol:
:phones: http://bandcampmusicsearch.com (http://bandcampmusicsearch.com)
let me know what you think

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”