Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2855 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Anybody else unable to run the new version on windows 7? I got ovox to run so then I updated my whole Diamond bundle too and now it's just not showing up in hosts (vst 2 and vst 3). also the standalone crashed on start.
I am aware it is not officially supported. Just figured I'd ask.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 pm

Considering buying either Antares Autotune EFX+ or Waves Ovox. How do they compare? Out of curiosity does Waves Ovox have autotune capabilities too? If not, it’s not a big deal I own Waves Tune RT, but curious.

Ploki
KVRAF
2266 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:54 am

MissOptimyst wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 pm
Considering buying either Antares Autotune EFX+ or Waves Ovox. How do they compare? Out of curiosity does Waves Ovox have autotune capabilities too? If not, it’s not a big deal I own Waves Tune RT, but curious.
I demoed EFX+ for a while cause i was interested in it.
it's a completely different type of FX.
Ovox is kinda like VocalSynth, and Autotune EFX+ is Autotune plus some presets from their AVOX suite.
In the end, I decided against EFX+, because the limited parameters you're given with for actual FX are just too limited for my taste. You don't get dumbed down FX, you get "preset" effects with an X/Y pad. Mean a Vocoder FX is predefined to whatever it is and an X/Y pad to mod it.

It's not without its use and it sounds good, but its different to Ovox.
I don't have Ovox either because logic doesn't support plugin MIDI out, and everything else i found Vocal Synth sufficient for.
In short, Ovox is more synthy/vocodey
Autotune EFX is more pitchy/formantey

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Ploki wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:54 am
I demoed EFX+ for a while cause i was interested in it.
it's a completely different type of FX.
Ovox is kinda like VocalSynth, and Autotune EFX+ is Autotune plus some presets from their AVOX suite.
In the end, I decided against EFX+, because the limited parameters you're given with for actual FX are just too limited for my taste. You don't get dumbed down FX, you get "preset" effects with an X/Y pad. Mean a Vocoder FX is predefined to whatever it is and an X/Y pad to mod it.

It's not without its use and it sounds good, but its different to Ovox.
I don't have Ovox either because logic doesn't support plugin MIDI out, and everything else i found Vocal Synth sufficient for.
In short, Ovox is more synthy/vocodey
Autotune EFX is more pitchy/formantey
Thanks for the breakdown! I have Logic Pro does not having midi out mean it won’t work in there?

Ploki
KVRAF
2266 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 am

MissOptimyst wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm


Thanks for the breakdown! I have Logic Pro does not having midi out mean it won’t work in there?
audio to midi note out won't work :) everything else works.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
28279 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:18 am

Logic is not very pro.
Hi-de-Hi!

Ploki
KVRAF
2266 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 am

Aloysius wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:18 am
Logic is not very pro.
neh, it's just old plugin architecture.

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am

Is there anything really different between Izotope VocalSynth 2 and Waves Ovox? Or is it more a preference thing?

Ploki
KVRAF
2266 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 am

MissOptimyst wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am
Is there anything really different between Izotope VocalSynth 2 and Waves Ovox? Or is it more a preference thing?
Ovox has LFOs and ARPs (all which can be done externally with Vocalsynth) and also has MIDI output on supported plugin/host combos.

On the other hand, VocalSynth has a few more processing modes.
Down to preference, and probably down to which manufacturer you already shop with

Scoox
KVRist
237 posts since 8 May, 2008

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Aloysius wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxML5kRE ... =emb_title


OVox Vocal ReSynthesis — VST MIDI Out Tutorial
The way I work I tend to lay down the chords first and then loop a chord progression, hit record and sing along to it for as long as needed until something cool comes out. In other words I don't build chords from a monophonic vocal track, but the other way around.

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Ploki wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 am
Ovox has LFOs and ARPs (all which can be done externally with Vocalsynth) and also has MIDI output on supported plugin/host combos.

On the other hand, VocalSynth has a few more processing modes.
Down to preference, and probably down to which manufacturer you already shop with
Thanks for the info! I have Waves plugins currently, but I may pick up an Izotope bundle before their sale ends. After comparing prices though I think I would probably go with Ovox!

mouse clicker
Banned
9 posts since 27 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 am

Ploki wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 am
On the other hand, VocalSynth has a few more processing modes.
Down to preference, and probably down to which manufacturer you already shop with
https://youtu.be/wbSXhB-5ZS4

https://youtu.be/Lj50qWDJxyk

https://youtu.be/KJurXQA2OhU

https://youtu.be/DxML5kRESlU

Demo Waves Products

Ploki
KVRAF
2266 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:03 am

mouse clicker wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 am

Demo Waves Products
What's your point

mouse clicker
Banned
9 posts since 27 Mar, 2020

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:03 am
mouse clicker wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 am

Demo Waves Products
What's your point
That an opinion is just an opinion, and a demo is worth more then a 1000 words.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1877 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Re: Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:44 am

Ploki wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:38 pm
Aloysius wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxML5kRE ... =emb_title


OVox Vocal ReSynthesis — VST MIDI Out Tutorial
NOW THIS - this is something VocalSynth DOESN'T do!
Too bad AU/Logic has no midi out. :(
Yeah, I’m feeling it there too.

Although, concerning the Ovox vs VocalSynth I do see a lot of overlap, but there are differences as well. I don’t think it’s either/or, I think they can compliment each other quite nicely. Providing you have room in the budget for it.

Return to “Effects”