Waves - What can we do?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kidslow wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm Does anyone know how often Waves updates their "sales" prices? Is that weekly on Mondays like I believe?

I participated in the recent sale (buy 2, get 1 free) ... and at the time of the sale there was a third one that I wanted as my +1 available at the price of my other purchases (i.e. $29.99). They didn't dole out the free code for purchases made through resellers until today. Today, the one that I had my eyes on has been repriced. :dog:
As a follow-up if anyone is curious, since I have observed repricing by Waves for the past month very closely, and have loosely observed it for the past 6-12 months. :ud: They reprice somewhat randomly, but every repricing is driven by a sale. Nothing gets repriced without a sale. Whether or not a given plugin gets repriced for a sale appears to be driven by an algorithm of some sort. Sometimes the price stays the same.

Waves runs all sorts of combinations of sales, and they have years of data about what works in what permutation. It's imperfect, but pricing seems to be data driven. It does seem to be observably true that any given single plugin will make it on to the $29.99 rack eventually.

:arrow: It is possible to game the system. You can purchase pairs of plugins from a reseller and hold the codes until Waves runs a buy-2 get-1 free sale and redeem then. I read about this elsewhere and tried. I was able to acquire three for $40ish. It depends what you're looking for and how it is priced, and the third was not exactly what I wanted (per my previous comment) but turned out to be an acceptable alternative for my needs. YMMV

deleted\
Last edited by krabbencutter on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

krabbencutter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:12 pm Just want to leave some stats for your entertainment:

- B360 & Tract were the only single plugins that were never discounted within the last 100 days
Leaving those two aside,
- out of 186 single plugins MDMX was the only plugin, that has actually been offered at MSRP at least once within the last 100 days
- the average Waves plugin is worth $49
- the average Waves plugin is usually discounted by 60%

See you again in 99 days. <3
i don't doubt and it makes perfect sense, but where did you get your data?

Ploki wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm
krabbencutter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:12 pm Just want to leave some stats for your entertainment:

- B360 & Tract were the only single plugins that were never discounted within the last 100 days
Leaving those two aside,
- out of 186 single plugins MDMX was the only plugin, that has actually been offered at MSRP at least once within the last 100 days

I think somebody is working from home and has a little free time.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Leaving those two aside,

I think somebody is working from home and has a little free time.
...and they’re not using that time for wanking...???

N/M
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Leaving those two aside,

See you again in 99 days.
Black Friday is an informal name for the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, which is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. The day after Thanksgiving has been regarded as the beginning of the United States Christmas shopping season since 1952, although the term "Black Friday" did not become widely used until more recent decades.

The only numbers you need to crunch are Friday November 27th 2020 and 50% OFF everywhere!

new account, same old threads? i see a pattern

krabbencutter wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:53 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:36 pm But that’s where you’re going wrong. The consumer determines the value, the seller determines the price.
Whatever. Then let's call it price and you're right and I hope you're happy now. That still has nothing to do with my actual complaint about Waves.

They discount their plugins on such a constant level, that I call their listed PRICES bullsh*t and completely superficial. Because when a product has had a discounted PRICE for over 50% of the time, since its release (in case of TG Mastering Chain that was October 2018), the MSRP (P = PRICE) seems completely arbitrary and unjustified to me.
Just chiming in a bit: it doesn't matter where the hq of Waves is. Faking sales is called market disturbance in Sweden. It is illegal, and quite heavily fined. Thus, they should not be able to sell their stuff in Sweden. I guess it's the,same in many countries.

But a bigger question is whether it is okay for the industry as a whole to work this way.

2getheraudio, kind as they seem to be, are interesting in this perspective. The set a price, then say Pay what you want, but at least ten bucks. So: are their products in effect worth ten bucks? Marketing law is not black and white. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

So anyone gonna join me in protest in front of Waves headquarters? It's time we should get serious and do something about it.
No signature here!

Another fun day with Waves. Picked my time carefully (a weekend, 2 weeks into lockdown) to deal with the crap I knew would come. Added the free distortion and last year's Sibilance from Waves Central, being careful not to touch anything else. Installed them, and as a bonus it removed all my 32 bit v9 versions which I need for Adobe Audition.

Downloaded the offline v9 installer, installed that with an error message I had to uninstall the other version of Waves Central (which? The one named Waves Central L or regular one? Did both just in case). Installed it again with the same error message. Ran it anyway, it couldn't find any plugins. After Googling, found I had to point the offline directory within the plugin not to where it was looking, but to where you downloaded the extracted zip file. You have to point it at the folder named INSTALLER, it won't work on anything else in the heierachy above or below. Then have to manually trawl their entire library for the products I actually own, and install them.

All round, probably about 45 minutes to install 2 new products and then fix everything it then broke. I've had worse I suppose. Anyone know of any way of avoiding all this crap next time I want to add something? There used to be a magic checkbox you had to tick to avoid it wrecking your system, that seems to have gone now and it wrecks it regardless.

On the plus side, Sibilance is really good. Didn't so much get on with Bezerk, Heavyocity Punish is the one for me.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

So it's mostly user error and incompetence then? I have many Waves plugins, most of then now on V11 and couple of them still on V9. Had absolutely no issues or difficulty installing them when I recently did a complete system reinstall.
No signature here!

Yep. Got loads of Waves plugins. Love em. So simple to install and activate.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 pm So it's mostly user error and incompetence then? I have many Waves plugins, most of then now on V11 and couple of them still on V9. Had absolutely no issues or difficulty installing them when I recently did a complete system reinstall.
You’re quite right of course. Myself and other experienced professionals are all incompetent.

But if you’d enlighten this particular imbecile, how was I to have stopped it uninstalling my 32 bit versions? I appreciate it must be exceptionally tiresome to help, but in these challenging times we all have to do our bit, perhaps.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:11 pm
robotmonkey wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 pm So it's mostly user error and incompetence then? I have many Waves plugins, most of then now on V11 and couple of them still on V9. Had absolutely no issues or difficulty installing them when I recently did a complete system reinstall.
You’re quite right of course. Myself and other experienced professionals are all incompetent.

But if you’d enlighten this particular imbecile, how was I to have stopped it uninstalling my 32 bit versions? I appreciate it must be exceptionally tiresome to help, but in these challenging times we all have to do our bit, perhaps.
Now, granted, Waves should make it even clearer in Central that updating plugins with Central will uninstall older versions.

But if people would only spend couple of minutes reading the release notes and install instructions... I know, it's a crazy idea.

https://www.waves.com/support/update-to-latest-version
No signature here!

Return to “Effects”