4k monitor with cubase help blurry text

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

Got a 4k minor all setup working on a windows force 1050TI 4GB gpu.All running nicely in Windows desktop on native settings.
I'm noticing on Cubase and some other apps ie Web browsing with chrome, the text is blurry I have a duel monitor set up secondary is lower res but displays fine.
I've had a tinker with calibration, brightness, resolutions and so on.
Is there a setting or anyone had this issue that could help to resolve please.
Thabks
M

Turn HiDPI support in Edit ▸ Preferences ▸ General and check 'Enable HiDPI'

But beware that whatever your Windows scaling is set to, Cubase will stick to either 100% (things will be very small) or 200% (things will be big, like on a 1080p screen) because it sucks ass and doesn't recognize any value in between (125%, 150%, 175%) like most are using... :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DPI scaling I didn't think if that thought it would be a universal scale regardless. I'll give it a go. 200 is going to be a tad ridickubaeless I guess. Thanks.

MFXxx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 pm DPI scaling I didn't think if that thought it would be a universal scale regardless. I'll give it a go. 200 is going to be a tad ridickubaeless I guess. Thanks.
I have no idea what you just said, but yes - Windows scaling in theory should universally translate to applications GUI, including DAWs. It works flawlessly in Bitwig, Live or Studio One but Cubase will either stick to 100% or jumpt to 200%, which is ridiculous.

You can always just change Windows' resolution to something smaller than 4K and stay with 100% scaling - on a 4K screen it should be acceptable, especially if you're not sensitive to it.
Music tech enthusiast

MFXxx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 pm DPI scaling I didn't think if that thought it would be a universal scale regardless. I'll give it a go. 200 is going to be a tad ridickubaeless I guess. Thanks.
Just for clarification - if your Cubase didn't have HiDPI enabled and your Windows was set to 150% scaling, then Windows would render Cubase at 150% and STRETCH it to 150% size, which means each 1:1 pixel would be theoratically represented by 1.5:1.5 pixels, which in practice means e.g. odd pixel will be 1:1 even pixel will be 2:2 - hence the blurry image.
Music tech enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying. HIDPI is a setting within cubase and not WINDOWS. DPI scaling would likely not improve things by the sounds of things. I'll tinker later and see what happens. Appreciate to the explanation.
quote=antic604 post_id=7711775 time=1585670681 user_id=391313]
Just for clarification - if your Cubase didn't have HiDPI enabled and your Windows was set to 150% scaling, then Windows would render Cubase at 150% and STRETCH it to 150% size, which means each 1:1 pixel would be theoratically represented by 1.5:1.5 pixels, which in practice means e.g. odd pixel will be 1:1 even pixel will be 2:2 - hence the blurry image.
[/quote]

Defiantly sounds like a DPI Issue - as responded before :)

MFXxx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:21 pm Thanks for clarifying. HIDPI is a setting within cubase and not WINDOWS. DPI scaling would likely not improve things by the sounds of things. I'll tinker later and see what happens. Appreciate to the explanation.
That's incorrect.

It is Windows that has an actual DPI scaling setting:

Zrzut ekranu (26).png

Whereas the tick-box in Cubase decides if it will take it into account (ticked) or ignore it.

You're still not getting it, but fine...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast

Ah thanks. Apologies. Its more to do with dyslexia, the snapshot helped .:)

I swear by my 5K iMacs for both Windows and macOS. I can actually read the smaller text much more easily so I don't have to scale the programs as much. If you have any eye issues at all, go high-density. You'll be very glad you did.

BTW, you can right-click on executables (.exe) and under compatibility, individually adjust how the program handles or responds to high-density. You can get rid of the fuzzies that way.

Turn on clear text.

And make sure your monitor supports at least 4:2:2 chroma. Though your problem is most likely clear text not being enabled.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm Turn on clear text.

And make sure your monitor supports at least 4:2:2 chroma. Though your problem is most likely clear text not being enabled.
Hi

Yes Ive set up calibration and clear type. Ive managed to get Cubase looking nice due to the HiDPI setting mentioned with 100% scaling. Shame as this looses the workspace gained with the 4k.
To be honest we are hitting issues in Outlook. I think the monitor is going back.
The colours are washed out, too bright and the text is not behaving as it should for working. However some of the work is utilising citrix workspace, so in some instances it appears to be out of our control.
I am disapointed it is not working out as I expected.
I will need to check the 4:2:2 chroma compatibility this evening.

Find Cubase.exe (or whatever it's called these days). Right-click and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, the select Change high DPI settings. Then check Override high DPI scaling behavior. This may cure what ails you and allow you to increase Windows scaling without fuzzy text.

There's also a program out there that will override the new W10 method and use the older 8.1 method. Search "fuzzy windows text". I'm sure there's a registry hack as well.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”