Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Just built a new system based around an i9 9900K processor. I hadn't used Phase Plant much on my older i7 4790 as the CPU seemed quite high. On the new system, the Blue Messiah Pad preset causes audio crackling after playing two four note chords in quick succession. I've probably picked a system-draining preset randomly as others don't seem to have any really negative effects on the CPU, but could anyone else confirm similar results with that preset? Does Phase Plant have any options along the lines of Diva's multicore option?

andrew71 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm Blue Messiah Pad
Oof, yea that one is heavy!
Seems to have a big 'attack' on the cpu..
Im running an OC'd 5820, and yea, pumping chords of that pad crushes it for a second at the start.
ImageImageImageImage

You can probably clean up the preset and reduce CPU use considerably. A lot of PP presets contain tonnes of kruft they don't need. What I like about PP is that I can make really simple, lightweight patches that use bugger-all CPU.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

andrew71 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm On the new system, the Blue Messiah Pad preset causes audio crackling after playing two four note chords in quick succession.
I think Blue Messiah is one of the most monstrous patches in there! Something like 14 generators and 16 modulators... just the top four generators I can see have unison of 7, 7, 7, and 5... that's a lot of voices.

It's playing a full minor or major chord (depending on the second macro) on one note though so you probably don't need to play more than one note at a time to get a useable pad from it. :-D

Thanks for the replies. I managed to randomly pick a monster. The system handles everything else I’ve thrown at it very well.

Phase Plant - Getting started with Wavetables

Learn the basics of how to create your own wavetables in Phase Plant as Cameron guides you through the editor. Morph, sweep, and add movement with the nifty keyframe concept. Or import samples as a basis for your wavetables.

"Premieres" at 9pm CET tonight [Edit to include the date! 20th March 2020]. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtrMe3h9l94

Heads up!

Kilohearts latest half-price sale is on Flanger, Pitch Shifter, Frequency Shifter, and Haas.
These are all VST/AU/AAX effects plugins that also work as "Snapins" in their modular hosts, Phase Plant, Multipass and Snap Heap (which is free!).

Flanger is $14.50 and the others are just $9.50 until April 7th.

More info on the site: https://kilohearts.com/

Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer for. When you import your own wavetables/samples are they embedded into the preset when you save it?

EDIT: It appears as though the wavetables/samples are embedded, which is great :tu:

I'm just wrapping my head around Phase Plant, can't seem to figure a few things out. Is there a way to add a random trigger to something like pan? Can do it with velocity, but can figure out a way to do it just on a constant random, that's triggered by a gate. Also, granular engine on this thing would be unreal..

dunohearno wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 pm I'm just wrapping my head around Phase Plant, can't seem to figure a few things out. Is there a way to add a random trigger to something like pan? Can do it with velocity, but can figure out a way to do it just on a constant random, that's triggered by a gate. Also, granular engine on this thing would be unreal..
Yep it's easy peasy. Just added it to the patch I had open.

Add a Stereo effect, random LFO and drag the orange + to the Pan knob.

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/is-pp-test
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:00 pm
dunohearno wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 pm I'm just wrapping my head around Phase Plant, can't seem to figure a few things out. Is there a way to add a random trigger to something like pan? Can do it with velocity, but can figure out a way to do it just on a constant random, that's triggered by a gate. Also, granular engine on this thing would be unreal..
Yep it's easy peasy. Just added it to the patch I had open.

Add a Stereo effect, random LFO and drag the orange + to the Pan knob.

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/is-pp-test

I mean like on each voice, so when a new voice gets triggered, the gate of that triggers the next step of the random generator. So the first note stays at one position in the stereo field, and the new note is played in a different position. If you link velocity to the pan on the vca, it does what I'm trying to do, but I can't figure out how to fire it randomly, rather than relying on velocity :/

dunohearno wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:21 pm I mean like on each voice, so when a new voice gets triggered, the gate of that triggers the next step of the random generator. So the first note stays at one position in the stereo field, and the new note is played in a different position. If you link velocity to the pan on the vca, it does what I'm trying to do, but I can't figure out how to fire it randomly, rather than relying on velocity :/
Ah, gotcha. A random LFO instead of velocity doesn't work? Will have a play later tonight.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yeah, it does the same as the stereo fx, treats all the voices as a whole rather than independently, so they all kind of shift with the lfo. Tried patching the random to the velocity, but does the same. Cant figure it out!

One more thing I'm wondering if someone could help with - is there a way of clicking on the little modulation amount dials and it taking you to whatever is the source of that modulation is? Seems a bit confusing without a matrix telling you what's going where.

dunohearno wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm One more thing I'm wondering if someone could help with - is there a way of clicking on the little modulation amount dials and it taking you to whatever is the source of that modulation is? Seems a bit confusing without a matrix telling you what's going where.
If you hover on a modulation, both ingoing and out going, the source/destination is highlighted

Return to “Instruments”