Logic Pro X Update around the corner? (with screenshot)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...

ability to easily use multiple controllers
some basic modulation options that can directly modulate parameters

Logic is overall pretty great

I'd like to see the look of all the instruments updated and unified. And an exclusive arm function. And either update the environment or get rid of it.

Yes, I've got issues with the inconsistent/outdated look on Logic's instruments and effects, and I don't enjoy setting drums on the program. Don't like the samplers in there and I find the browsers, audio file managing, and overall workflow slow and clunky. After trying to learn and love it for a while, I returned to Live for creation and it's a relief, because it's so fast and efficient. But I enjoy other aspects from Logic too. So, I hope Apple improves the program in the future. Right now I'm using it solely for mixing.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...

This. I hate having to go to the environment in-order to assign another controller to a specific channel.

If we are going to have to do that at least give the environment some love.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...

This. I hate having to go to the environment in-order to assign another controller to a specific channel.

I consider the environment off limits... too complicated and user-unfriendly for me to think about. They would have to give it a whole lot of love for that to be a viable option for me.

I would much rather simply be able to select a controller right on the track... like I do in say Bitwig.

apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:31 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm Logic doesn't beat Reaper, but it's maybe 10-20% of a difference, it's not enough to change DAWs or anything, IMO 40% is though, so Live is getting the boot for Bitwig around here.
Right but you don't have actual numbers at the moment so I'll take this with a grain of salt. My observation says otherwise. On every machine I've tried Logic handily beats Reaper.

I have yet to see any actual number from anyone making the claim that Reaper is the bets performing DAW.

I haven't updated Reaper so I don't know if a later version made changes to performance, but since at least 10.4.6, Logic has consistently been the top performing DAW in my setup. It's not even a contest.
I'm in quarantine capital Seattle, so I bothered to do another test. :)
Suffice to say Reaper wins again, but not by much... I'm starting a separate thread for this, because it's interesting to me. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=542406&p=7713306#p7713306

Figured a great VSTi to use would be the free Reaktor 6 Blocks

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm oddly enough Bitwig does really well, even beating the others with Diva track counts.
I think it has to do with your particular configuration combo, can't really put my hand on anything particular, but it has to do with Xeons and how Diva performs in Bitwig, it's no secret that both firms are close and it's no secret that U He knows how to code equally good for macOS, as I recall you couldn't repeat those numbers on machine with i series Intel processor and did you managed with any other synths from other vendors?
I'm going to redo that test, because the latest versions of the DAWs I did using Reaktor Blocks paints the same picture they always did before, Bitwig and Live are huge CPU pigs compared to Logic, DP and Reaper etc. It could very well be that Bitwig and U-He are using some new code tricks that NI and other DAWs haven't caught on to, that kinda makes sense to me, and they are tightly integrated, U-He presets show up in Bitwigs native preset browser etc.

Last edited by v1o on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 am Than it's just the unnecessary bloat, what difference does it make if you don't see any purpose in that workflow, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Just bolting on clip launching isn't necessarily going to be of much benefit. Big(t)wig and Ableton were designed from the ground up for clip based sequencing and launching. Cakewalk and Digital Performer are examples of traditional DAWS that added clip launchers with mixed success. It's like when DAW's try adding DJ'ing features, you're still much better off using dedicated software like Traktor or Serato.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

apoclypse wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 am

The Environment needs a major redesign to bring it up to 2020 standards.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:28 am
Passing Bye wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 am Than it's just the unnecessary bloat, what difference does it make if you don't see any purpose in that workflow, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Just bolting on clip launching isn't necessarily going to be of much benefit. Big(t)wig and Ableton were designed from the ground up for clip based sequencing and launching. Cakewalk and Digital Performer are examples of traditional DAWS that added clip launchers with mixed success. It's like when DAW's try adding DJ'ing features, you're still much better off using dedicated software like Traktor or Serato.
Beg to differ, some things about DP make it a great DAW for getting Clippings.

Chunks can be essentially used as a playlist of full songs for a set as it stands, backing tracks and lighting etc. A massive amount of the biggest names out there use DP already for this purpose, Madonna, Roger Waters, etc. etc. Adding in Clips to this is pretty much a no brainer, since Live had made big head roads into the folly and background music for theatre productions etc. It also oddly adds in object oriented MIDI to DP at the same time.
Really the only downside is MOTU have no professional relationship with Akai, Novation etc. to get the haptic response from Launchpad, APC 40's etc. and there's no one writing scripts for the Push 2 etc. like Moss does for Reaper and Bitwig, so MOTU is SOL that way. Hopefully they proceed to go down this path, and don't just leave it as it is.

If Apple does the work and Logic comes out firing on all cylinders with Clips and haptic response LED wise etc. with Launchpad etc. then Logic can take massive market share IMO. The decent CPU hit, included instruments and Clips would be hard to beat, along with MPE and Articulation sets for orchestral libraries. It just depends on how well they integrate it, the Logic team has either been on point or just haphazard since I can remember.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:21 pm All threads about other DAWs eventually get round to discussion of Bitwig or Reaper.

It’s kind of like Godwin’s law where eventually Nazis or Hitler will get a mention, but here it’s Bitwig and Reaper.
A bit daring comparison but in essence you're quite right.
Think these specific two DAW crowds invest more time in evangelization than in making music with their holy grails.

Calenberger wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 amThink these specific two DAW crowds invest more time in evangelization than in making music with their holy grails.
LOL. That's very true - I've been using Bitwig for 3 years, but haven't finished a single tune. Yet, I've had the time of my life exploring, learning and using it, which I think is more important? :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 am
Calenberger wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 amThink these specific two DAW crowds invest more time in evangelization than in making music with their holy grails.
LOL. That's very true - I've been using Bitwig for 3 years, but haven't finished a single tune. Yet, I've had the time of my life exploring, learning and using it, which I think is more important? :shrug:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Some people just try to simply dismiss the opponents, by lack of better arguments.

What's even funny, I never said Logic is a bad DAW, and I was a champion of it, back in the old days, but no more since it joined the dark side of the force. Apple is evil. :x
Fernando (FMR)

Evil is sexy :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”