Real-Time Remote Collaboration Vol.2

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mabian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 am Doesn't it have a latency of one measure?

Thanks,
Mario
one interval, to be precise (can be multiple measures, depending on how you set it up).

any realtime collaboration will have latency - that's just a physical fact. however, usually latency from things like Skype or Discord, will not be a multiple of a musical interval, so you'll be throwing everyone off tempo. NINJAM increases it to a multiple of interval, so that you're late, but still in tempo.

that said, i believe the remote recording mode will compensate for that at mixing stage (i.e. when you open the clipsort.log in REAPER, you should get everything timed correctly - the latency is only when you're monitoring in realtime).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Thanks for the explanation.

I understand and concur on all of this from the perspective of playing live (or near live) together.
But if I just need to share the sound of my DAW to work on mixing/mastering/production (no need to have musicians playing in perfect sync over the net), while a ReaNINJAM interval is still too much, 50ms (for example) can be considered more than acceptable in my opinion.
Hoping this question is not a thread hijacking, what's the best service around that has an optimal mix (in the scenario I mentioned) of cost, quality, and latency?

- Mario

mabian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:05 am Hello,

which of the solutions mentioned above is able to transmit audio at good quality? Skype, for example, is unusable if you want to collaborate for something like sound tweaking or mastering, because the frequency spectrum is quite limited, more or less like a phone line (unless I missing something).
Which are the best as far as quality and latency are concerned?
Thanks,
Mario
Give AnyDesk a try. The audio gets delayed half a second, so it's not good for realtime jamming, but the qualitty of the sound is more than usable.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”