Looking for a distortion unit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trash 2 (usually) and Kombinat, plus Guitar Rig (not what OP asked for) and for saturation i often overdrive certain PSP fx or use Tubesaturator Vintage.
Overall Trash 2 fits the description of “swiss army knife” of distortion plug ins.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Wow. Some great suggestions to look into

Big thanks.

Will start.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Another recommendation for Trash2 here. Love that plugin.

Ohmcide is the all round distortion king tbh, but not in the price range you want, and tbh hasn't had an update in god knows how long. (it works, but the presets are rubbish)

There are lots of little plugins for distortion you can pick up cheap, check out Audio Assaults site, they do a lot of sales and some of their units (Not the guitar ones) are quite capable of messing up a signal.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

My goto is Klanghelm SDRR but this is more the low to mid grade saturation.
My weapon for messing up and totally alienating sound is UA Dent.
New kid on the block I really like is Waves' Bezerk.
Well and Cubase's Distroyer and Quadrafuzz 2 have their places here.

Also lets not overlook the filters and the power of Cytomic The Drop. It is a badass plugin

Two I like are soundtoys decapitator, especially on hairless drums and kilohearts distortion, always forget about it until I load up multipass.

Distortion is one of the effects that you can get as many as you want for free.
Plus, there are too many different distortion flavors and types that one plugin can't cover.
So I don't see why you would buy a distortion plugin unless there is something very unique that you can't get for free.

@roman.1
Punisher by Denise Audio from Plugin Boutique looks like it may do the job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlW2KmwAbw
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Ohmicide is a great plugin, but is crying out for a full makeover (Which OhmForce seem to think is going to happen...at some point)

Dent 2, from Unfiltered Audio (via PluginAlliance) is also a great plugin

SDRR 2 - Cheap, but top-quality saturator (Not a full-fat distortion contender, though).

Trash 2 - Great unit. What makes this so special, apart from the flexible design-your-own distortion, is the amount of other ways it allows for sculpting of sound, without having to go hunting for other plugins. Great convolution goodness, including amps, speakers, grot-boxes etc. Really decent filtering options, solid dynamics and a cool delay. A one-stop-shop for sonic destruction

D16 Decimort 2 - BitCrush/Sample-reduction. A great compliment to other distortion units.

Sonic Charge Permut8 - Another one I'd suggest. Like above, it leans more towards bit/sample reduction and circuit-bent madness, and would be good as a compliment to any others on this list (Not that it's not a great fx unit in it's own right)

Also a Trash 2 fan, you can (or have been able to) pick it up for no brainer money, I believe it is now unsupported/no longer being developed- may bother some people?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:05 pm Also a Trash 2 fan, you can (or have been able to) pick it up for no brainer money, I believe it is now unsupported/no longer being developed- may bother some people?
Not officially, no.
It's just neglected.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:05 pm Also a Trash 2 fan, you can (or have been able to) pick it up for no brainer money, I believe it is now unsupported/no longer being developed- may bother some people?
Not developed, but still being supported. I think it could do with a face-lift, and a few minor changes, but I think it's a pretty complete product. If they just keep on maintaining it for new OS', I'd have no complaints :shrug:

Yeh the GUI isn't too small, even in 4K which is good, but I'm not a fan of the pretend metal grey.

Another suggestion- Excalibur- has a nice distortion and a ton of other fx and is currently at a no brainer price of £9.46p ! (demo to see if it is what you need, certainly not as distortion centric as TRASH!)

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/5226-Excalibur
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Tantrum from Creative Intent looks nice too, though it costs $49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_Lxv1hG7I

I had never heard of Tantrum but it loos and sounds realy, realy good- will be giving that a demo myself, I like the 'warm' sounds!

Return to “Effects”