Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Coder would be more interesting with CV inputs to use it as variables in javascript. I hope Ben will implement this.

Gribs wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 am I would work with what you have for a while. Replicate a three-oscillator synth voice (plus noise) like that in a Mini-Moog. Then go crazy making patches using that as your base. Mess with linear and exponential FM of oscillator frequency and filter cutoff frequency using LFO’s, envelopes, and audio rate signals from the same or different oscillators. Use sample and hold on noise and other signals as both a modulation source and an audio source. Get into randomness, sequencing, and logic operations. Eventually you will start to want something else and you will have a better idea what to add.
Thanks for the helpful reply. I guess the consensus so far is that I already have a great basis to do most of the interesting stuff and should stick to it for as long as I can. My problem is that I know it's going to cost a lot of money in the long run if I should catch on. So buying modules outside of sale times won't happen. And waiting 8 months for BF would probably kill my momentum and end my journey with VM. So I need at least some of the no brainer bundles already available installed on my system, if I should reach that point in two or three months. Or is the core bundle the only "no brainer" bundle out there and all the rest is pretty specialized material?

Maybe I'm asking for better sounddemos and explanations from CA and the other developers? As it stands now, VM and its environment feels a little bit like an elitist eldorado talking about cryptic technical things. Most of new users start during sale times and are only able to decide on the next steps/modules/bundles after they gained the necessary knowledge, when the sale has already ended. Am I the only one who sees a problem in this situation?

I'm missing something like a general orientation for somebody new to this. Because as it stands right now, most new VM users will just tinker around with VM a little bit and then go on. And some others may be disappionted that they have invested so much money over time. So is there a path to happiness and fulfillment (and maybe even productivity) in modular synthesis at all? ;)

Maybe a ranking of your favourite modules/bundles would be helpful? And what kind of projects you are doing (or planning to do) with VM? It sounds like everybodys list would be completely different :)

spherem wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:04 pm
Gribs wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 am I would work with what you have for a while. Replicate a three-oscillator synth voice (plus noise) like that in a Mini-Moog. Then go crazy making patches using that as your base. Mess with linear and exponential FM of oscillator frequency and filter cutoff frequency using LFO’s, envelopes, and audio rate signals from the same or different oscillators. Use sample and hold on noise and other signals as both a modulation source and an audio source. Get into randomness, sequencing, and logic operations. Eventually you will start to want something else and you will have a better idea what to add.
Thanks for the helpful reply. I guess the consensus so far is that I already have a great basis to do most of the interesting stuff and should stick to it for as long as I can. My problem is that I know it's going to cost a lot of money in the long run if I should catch on. So buying modules outside of sale times won't happen. And waiting 8 months for BF would probably kill my momentum and end my journey with VM. So I need at least some of the no brainer bundles already available installed on my system, if I should reach that point in two or three months. Or is the core bundle the only "no brainer" bundle out there and all the rest is pretty specialized material?
Cherry Audio’s own “Year One Collection” has quite a few extras like a couple of sequencers, a sampler module, a vocoder module, a resonator module, some alternate filters and oscillators, a stereo delay, and other stuff. I would say that if you are going to add one more thing during a sale, that would be the one to pick. If you want to get into rhythm sequencing then Misfit Audio’s Electro drums pack might useful, too.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

BeeDog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:14 am
inkwarp wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 am how nice of you to list ALL the modules you are selling.
A link to a webpage would have sufficed?
We wouldn't want anyone to think this is exploiting the pandemic...
How is this ”exploiting the pandemic”, exactly? No one’s holding a gun to your head forcing you to read the post or buy anything. Developers gotta eat too, and producing music is a good form of escapism in these isolationist times, hence it’s probably interesting for many on this enthusiast forum.
Because it's using the pandemic as an excuse to push its products. It's called opportunism. The core is free anyway ( I got mine on the on a computer music disc or somesuch) All the modules are extra. If You try half the presets they are greyed out or make no sound because you have to purchase a module. So it's blatant schilling.
Music isn't 'escapism' for me.
Nobody's forcing me to read the thread?
If somebody claims something is 'free' then you could call that bait. I am always interested in new software. Having been lured here I find a little dishonest to use the pandemic to try and gain monetarily from it. Most people who make music do so in ' isolation', pandemic or not). Perhaps it's not so for you as it's just a hobby, you are 'an enthusiast'. This guy posts a huge list of links to all the modules so clearly trying to make money from the current situation is clearly the intent. It's shameless to do so in the current circumstance.
imo.

That’s a bit harsh conclusion to the sale and free modules. Apparently, they should have either
have done no sale
or have given everything for free.

(A joke promoting taking it easy)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Hi there,
inkwarp wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 am If You try half the presets they are greyed out or make no sound because you have to purchase a module.
This simply isn't true. Nucleus is 100% free, and all of the presets that come with our free Nucleus package (over 130) are 100% compatible with Nucleus and do not require the purchase of anything else at all.

If you downloaded additional preset packages from our store, then they would likely require additional modules, which is probably what you did. Either that, or you tried a demo of one of the other module packages, which would have installed the presets for that package. In either case, you can easily delete any presets you don't want to keep.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your criticism. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. We're all working from home, concerned about our families, and we're trying to do everything we can to help each other out. In the last 3 weeks, we've given out over 35,000 free copies of Nucleus, and we couldn't be prouder to have helped out our fellow musicians. In addition, our partners have cut their prices significantly to help people that want to purchase modules, and we're very proud of them as well. Inkwarp, I hope you're doing what you can to help those around you.

All the best,
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Last edited by cherryDan on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVR friends,

Here's the first of our new tutorials designed to inspire you to explore new sounds with modular synthesis. These tutorials are built around our free Voltage Modular Nucleus package, but these same concepts apply to any modular synthesizer. We're going to put out a lot more of these videos, all designed to get you thinking of new ways to use modular synthesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF3Q75n79ds

If there are any subjects you'd like us to explore in this new tutorial series, let us know. There's a massive world of sound available once you start dreaming up clever ways to patch modules.

Stay safe, everyone.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Too bad you guys don't have this on steam, you might sell a ton of them there. They take a cut,
but the customer pool is in excess of 14 mil. Seems like it might do well there, also many products
contain their own distribution and shop system. Only the client needs to be made available through
steam. *shrugs

cherryDan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 amIf there are any subjects you'd like us to explore in this new tutorial series, let us know.
I'd appreciate a tutorial on setting up VM as a multi-effect in a DAW. Specifically, controlling delay, reverb, saturation, filters and other effect parameters with an envelope follower, tempo synced LFOs, sequencers, and midi inputs such as modwheel and aftertouch. I basically want something like PSP's N2O all within a single instance of VM. Is that possible?

Thanks!

evo2slo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:24 am I'd appreciate a tutorial on setting up VM as a multi-effect in a DAW. Specifically, controlling delay, reverb, saturation, filters and other effect parameters with an envelope follower, tempo synced LFOs, sequencers, and midi inputs such as modwheel and aftertouch. I basically want something like PSP's N2O all within a single instance of VM. Is that possible?
That's an excellent suggestion. Our free Nucleus package doesn't contain an envelope follower or a tempo-synced LFO, but all of this and a whole lot more is available with the modules in our Core package. We'll add this to our tutorial list. Thanks!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Are there any other pitch-to-CV modules in the store other than the ESP-20? I've hunted around, but maybe there would be a different name for it?
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

inkwarp wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 am
Because it's using the pandemic as an excuse to push its products. It's called opportunism.
Man there always seems to be at least one turd in the punch bowl around here. :dog:

Given how many people are out of work around the world right now not to mention stuck in our homes I see absolutely no problem with pushing these products at all (I don't think that's what Cherry Audio is doing but regardless). Make some stuff free or give some huge discounts. Its a way to keep interest up and/or money coming in for those companies who are probably hurting right now like everyone else. Sheesh.

Keep up the good work Dan.

jasonekratz wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 pm
inkwarp wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 am
Because it's using the pandemic as an excuse to push its products. It's called opportunism.
Man there always seems to be at least one turd in the punch bowl around here. :dog:
Ai think they forgot the D at beginning of their username :scared:

jasonekratz wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 pm Make some stuff free or give some huge discounts. Its a way to keep interest up and/or money coming in for those companies who are probably hurting right now like everyone else. Sheesh.
Besides that, this strategy is not new for VM. Now I found the time to purchase the PSP bundle and use it as a modular effect. Great bang for the buck. Synth work will come later.

This is good stuff, and discounts have always been around. Also, free Nucleus is very usable. I am quite happy with the situation as it is. As far as VM and software are concerned.

Gribs wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 pm Cherry Audio’s own “Year One Collection” has quite a few extras like a couple of sequencers, a sampler module, a vocoder module, a resonator module, some alternate filters and oscillators, a stereo delay, and other stuff. I would say that if you are going to add one more thing during a sale, that would be the one to pick. If you want to get into rhythm sequencing then Misfit Audio’s Electro drums pack might useful, too.
The Year One Collection at the current selling point is a massive road block for me. And this is already the 50% sale price. If this would be the logical next choice, and maybe even necessary to really utilize MRB Bundle and others, then I will just concentrate on learning the basics of synthesis this year with Core and PSP and maybe come back another time for real modular synthetic dreams.

Return to “Instruments”