Drambo (modular groovebox and more)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sure, but probably won’t be until at least tomorrow

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 am Please posts your impressions when you get the chance... :tu:
Well, i like all the little gems there like that the sampler even can record CV/modulations or using the rotation of my phone as source.
And it is indeed quite usable even on my phone. Maybe the first usable modular on my iPhone.
It also sounds good to me while cpu usage is small.
No problems to run tons of OSC.
Once i got the workflow it is also maybe the fastest workflow of any modular i used yet to make really fast complex set-ups. Other modulars sucks here for me.
A lot interesting modules.
I‘m happy with it.
I also would buy that for mac if i could.
Just my 2 cents but i like it.

One thing I found out last night is that you can record parameter changes per sequencer step, which is really cool.

Multi channel, so you can set up multiple modular builds in parallel.

I have been playing with this for the last 2 hours.

This is the best iOS app I have used. I have most of the good iOS music apps including Gadget, BM3, Rider and Cubase.

I am also a big Elektron User, I have (or have had) most of their boxes....this software is better in many ways. It’s a proper modular environment with an amazing amount of modules that sound as good as VST modules where it counts (filters etc) and the sequencer has P locks, the sampler octotrack like flexibility (they even use the same terminology). This is the Live child of Eurorack and Elektron...two of my favourite things :tu:

If this was PC program for 100s of bucks I would still be raving about it....it’s iOS for 20 bucks, amazing 10/10. This and Half life ALEX for Vive. Ade my week ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm I have been playing with this for the last 2 hours.

This is the best iOS app I have used. I have most of the good iOS music apps including Gadget, BM3, Rider and Cubase.

I am also a big Elektron User, I have (or have had) most of their boxes....this software is better in many ways. It’s a proper modular environment with an amazing amount of modules that sound as good as VST modules where it counts (filters etc) and the sequencer has P locks, the sampler octotrack like flexibility (they even use the same terminology). This is the Live child of Eurorack and Elektron...two of my favourite things :tu:

If this was PC program for 100s of bucks I would still be raving about it....it’s iOS for 20 bucks, amazing 10/10. This and Half life ALEX for Vive. Ade my week ;-)
Nice... I just bought it, but will not be back in the US right away to try it on my iPad Pro...

I do wish it could do feedbacks

Also to mention it is very usable and looks great on my iPhone - same version works on phones and pads....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

List of available modules....

XY pad
Reverb
Reset time
MIDI to CV
Scale
CV glide
Frequency shifter
Transient detector
Half rectify
Maximum
AN kick
MIDI monitor
Recorder
Mixer
Flexi sampler
Poly to mono
X-Fader
Decimator
Env AD mod
Audio input
S&H
Exp
Shift time
Retrigger
L/R to stereo
MIDI output
Integrator
MIDI CC
Pulse divider
Noise
Env AD
LFO
Add
Quantize
Phaser
Bend time
Freq to CV
Pitch (oct,semi,fine)
MIDI delay
MIDI humanizer
Pan
Env Flex
AND
Gyroscope
Reverse time
Multiply
MIDI to Poly
Shaper
Shot sampler
Filter
Compressor
Peaking EQ
Pitch
Amp env ADSR
Cosinus
Delay rack
Gate+velocity sequencer
Offset
Graphic shaper
Layers
OR
Voice selector
Pitch shifter
Scale time
Clip
Full rectify
Gate inverter
Sampler
MIDI CC generator
Amp
Number
Clock generator
Env ADSR
Slew limiter
CV quantizer
Procesor rack
Impulse
Instrument rack
Oscillator
Oscillator: Supersaw
Graphic env
CV to freq
Envelope follower
LFO (stereo)
MIDI key pressure modulator
Oscillator (semi)
Bit redux
Negate
Amp env AD
Sqrt
Stereo to mono
Delay FX
Adder
XOR
Minimum
Subtract
CV sequencer
Amp env AHD
Counter
Audio out
Sinus
AMP env AD mod
Function
Stochastic gate gen
Comb filter
Section
1/x
Random
Log
Divide
Pitch (overtone)
Knob
Oscilloscope
Stereo width
Delay
Layer mixer
Modal resonator
Trigger button
FM operator
Mono to stereo
Chorus
Stereo to L/R
Text box
Voice number

So after the first hours/days i really think its awesome and it really will replace all my modulars (beside P900 which still has the best sound for analog tones).
When i think there is something missing i find a way after some minutes in Drambo.
I will use my iPhone now mainly as instrument to record Drambo into Logic (i still do not like to use iOS DAWs to complete a track).
The only thing Drambo could need are better FX. I love the phaser and chorus. The delay is so O.K. but the reverb is terrible, sorry. Its usable for really small rooms and not bad for drums but that´s it.
So as FX processor something like Reaktor might be sound much better but it still kills all the fun out of my life while using it :)
I would give Drambo now 9/10 and i know it will get even more amazing modules and functions.
Oh i hope Beepstreet ports this one to the mac app store at least since it should be not too hard (sorry if that is not the case) with the latest iOS and macOS versions and since you now can sell iOS, iPadOS and macOS versions as bundle (at least that is what i heard).
I could imagine this as the best midi FX and p-locks sequencer plug-in i would like to have in my Logic sessions. Plus you still can create some nice unique FX and the general sound of this is still awesome for the low cpu usage. Where it is important it sounds really great, oscillators, filters, snappy and very fast envelopes.
I would easy pay 100-150 for a mac version. Dear Beepstreet, please consider it ;)
If not, still an awesome tool i can use on iPhones and iPads.

Can't seem to find where to assign controllers - I want to use my Seaboard block to control the synths and Lightpad block on the drums

Cinebient wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 am I would easy pay 100-150 for a mac version. Dear Beepstreet, please consider it ;)

I asked for a PC version first :P

Seriously, this isn't just the best iOS music app, it could be one of the very best music apps period, so lets hope they find a way to go cross platform.

Sure, I could suggest a few improvements (song mode could use its own page for a better visual overview of song structure, unless I haven't come across this yet), but for the complexity of the thing it is incredibly well thought out, I was fully up and running making tracks before I had to RTM at all.

Anyway, great job and currently my iPAD is now being used in my studio again for duties other than a touch controller! :party:

SLiC wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:07 am
Cinebient wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 am I would easy pay 100-150 for a mac version. Dear Beepstreet, please consider it ;)

I asked for a PC version first :P

Seriously, this isn't just the best iOS music app, it could be one of the very best music apps period, so lets hope they find a way to go cross platform.

Sure, I could suggest a few improvements (song mode could use its own page for a better visual overview of song structure, unless I haven't come across this yet), but for the complexity of the thing it is incredibly well thought out, I was fully up and running making tracks before I had to RTM at all.

Anyway, great job and currently my iPAD is now being used in my studio again for duties other than a touch controller! :party:
I doubt a windows version (and even a mac store version) is coming anytime soon or ever, just my wishful thinking, since piracy kills it mainly off from what i hear from some independent iOS developers. IOS seems a much better market for some developers anyway and why should they go trough the hassle when they make more money on iOS.
This seems to be one of the major things why we see not many other unique iOS apps ported. So i have to live with using both platforms right now but if iOS and iPads evolves more i might do the complete switch in a not too far future.
I already would do it if there would be a Logic for iPads (and my beloved P900 as iOS port which might be possible again in a far future).
As limited as iOS and app store might be it seems the most secure place for plug-ins without needing a copy protection or setting up your own sale system etc.
Which might be not too hard for bigger companies or developers which already have this but not worth the hassle for independent developers which actually makes the most interesting tools these days for me. All these big companies does "commercial proof" things while i see more interesting tools in a lot of these little iOS apps where often you cannot find any plug-in doing the same.
Then even Fabfilter and other famous brands porting their things to iOS for much much less and so i ask me if not iOS is already the better platform as customer. At least lfor people like me which never ever use a desktop but prefer to be mobile and my biggest set-up is a laptop with a midi controller (but i even do not need this often and with iPad apps you also have the best midi controllers in your hand.
But if Drambo would get AUv3 hosting and a piano roll in the future it would be a full DAW for me :D
For real, i would miss all my sample libraries and some very unique FX on my mac but otherwise i see more innovative things happen on iOS.
So this is a v1 and i think we will see many great updates for Drambo.
It is not the end of all apps for sure but indeed i agree that it is one of the best music tools ever created for me as well.
Before a windows or mac port we might see an U-he iOS synth before :hihi:

You are probably right (unfortunately) not much starts on iOS and then goes full Windows 10 support ( a few, such as http://audulus.com/ which I have on both)

SLiC wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 am You are probably right (unfortunately) not much starts on iOS and then goes full Windows 10 support ( a few, such as http://audulus.com/ which I have on both)
I also own Audulus on iOS and mac but its not the kind of modular i like to use.
Maybe a reason i do not like Reaktor. It really sounds awesome and i would say in most parts it beats Drambo for the pure sound of it and can do also 1000 things more but Drambo has just the flow going and is not such a cpu hog :wink:

Audulus was well ahead of the game when it came out, but a more Reactor like low level type environment, steeper learning curve. Drambo is definitely its own thing, perhaps more like blocks or VCV but the easy snap together cable free interface is a joy and something new to me for a modular type environment.

SLiC wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 pm Audulus was well ahead of the game when it came out, but a more Reactor like low level type environment, steeper learning curve. Drambo is definitely its own thing, perhaps more like blocks or VCV but the easy snap together cable free interface is a joy and something new to me for a modular type environment.
This!!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”