I think i have too much plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Talking about FX, not synths. I don't have that many synths, I actually have an impressively small amount of synths compared to FX.

Problem is i use half of them... from all bundles, but not the whole bundles. If i bought single plugins from all vendors that i actually use, it would've been more expensive than the bundle. :roll:
Especially for some vendor that doesn't even have singles unless you buy Advanced version of everything.
Now it feels dirty and expensive despite the fact that it was cheaper.

What do you do if you have bundles that you don't use? keep em in your browsers "just in case" or hide them away? Try to use some from other bundles to replace them so you could shrink them down?
Or just accept the fact that you're a hoarder

I see myself going back to earlier bought plugins more often that I got more advanced in mixing.
Understanding what to use where and having some plugins to chose from sound wise.

I mostly don't sell plugins, because I know, the day will come (and it came) where I will be going back to the plugins.
But it really depends, why you are doing it (collecting). If it's just a hobby or just for fun, there's probably no need to keep them.
If you're thinking professionally like me, it's better to keep the stuff to be able to open old projects and maybe rediscover some forgotten gems in the collection.
For me it has to stay interesting, this can also mean going back or cycle through several plugins which got no use for a longer time, but are still good.

cool story.

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 pmcool story.
You forgot the "bro" part.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:44 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 pmcool story.
You forgot the "bro" part.
i make no assumptions.

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm accept the fact that you're a hoarder
^^ this :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:08 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm accept the fact that you're a hoarder
^^ this :hihi:
It's always depending on the point of view :)
Hoarder's might be right if the apocalypse breaks (but maybe not plugin-hoarders)

I think i have too much plugins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPW5JDZolu4

- Jay

Don't we all? Stand at the back of the line...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm Or just accept the fact that you're a hoarder
Now - in the times of the Corona-virus - everybody gathers things. Some collect toilet-paper,
some gather condomes and others accumulate plugins. What type of guy are you? :?:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm What do you do if you have bundles that you don't use? keep em in your browsers "just in case" or hide them away? Try to use some from other bundles to replace them so you could shrink them down?
Or just accept the fact that you're a hoarder
I've downloaded and bought more plugins over the years than I like to use, so I don't use them. Some I have uninstalled and archived the installers and licenses, some I still keep installed in my plugin folders, but not listed in my DAW. If I don't miss them in x time, I uninstall them. Needs and preferences change, there's no point in letting unnecessary things like plugins clutter your workflow!

(I point Live into a folder consisting of subfolders of shortcuts to the plugin .dlls, easy to organize).

No, but you probably have “too many plugins”.
(Sorry, couldn’t resist, I’ll make up for it and dislike my own comment :D ) (edit: damn, I cannot dislike my own posts :x )

Just take a more positive stance: you’re not “hoarding”, you are supporting a lot of nice and talented software developers who would otherwise have to take jobs in insurance companies if it wasn’t for people like you (and me and all of KVR)

the grammar police 'is' on the ball lol... oops 'are' lol

man i have more than a slew of plugins over the years from free for beta testing services to giveaways and contests... and THAT ain't counting the ones i bought lol i am almost embarrassed to look at the count although that includes multiples like .vst and .vst3. at least i dumped pro tools and removed all the .aax plugs but the licenses are still on my ilok. myself, i keep them installed just in case. i know what i want but there is always the chance i may use them and i prefer to overlook the ones i don't use that much if any as opposed to having to find the bloody installers and reinstall for usage.

i don't consider myself a hoarder... it just happens to pile up after years and years of mixing and product releases. things change but i rarely do lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

enroe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 am Now - in the times of the Corona-virus - everybody gathers things. Some collect toilet-paper,
some gather condomes and others accumulate plugins. What type of guy are you? :?:
if i weren't living with my gf i'd probably wipe my ass with plugins a week ago already
fese wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 pm you’re not “hoarding”, you are supporting a lot of nice and talented software developers who would otherwise have to take jobs in insurance companies if it wasn’t for people like you (and me and all of KVR)
To be honest, most of what i own is not from the big guys - sans iZotope and FabFilter I guess? Is FabFilter considered one of the big guys?
D16, u-he, Black Rooster, Voxengo, WavesFactory.
My Components folder counts 146 files, some of those are demos and some freebies. :)

First World problems

Return to “Effects”