Toneboosters Dual VCF

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just demo the drop and notice the difference , not only between the different filters but more importantly drive , it has a tremendous impact on the behaviour of the filter/resonance ...this is totally absent in T.B. vcf
Most People go completely bonkers when they hear a filter going through a simple tanh shaper ..hey this must be filter drive ..woowzers .
The drive in the T.B vcf 24db clean filter is just a clipper , clipping the top half of the signal ... :lol:
No it's far from that .
Talmod's filter got it right , yet (certain ) people complained that the drive was too subtle ( becasue they are used to a post filter waveshaper ) , but this is how an actual analogue overdriven filter behaves
Even the filters in renoise sound better than T.B. vcf .
Rant off
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 pm Just demo the drop and notice the difference , not only between the different filters but more importantly drive , it has a tremendous impact on the behaviour of the filter/resonance ...this is totally absent in T.B. vcf
Most People go completely bonkers when they hear a filter going through a simple tanh shaper ..hey this must be filter drive ..woowzers .
The drive in the T.B vcf 24db clean filter is just a clipper , clipping the top half of the signal ... :lol:
No it's far from that .
Talmod's filter got it right , yet (certain ) people complained that the drive was too subtle ( becasue they are used to a post filter waveshaper ) , but this is how an actual analogue overdriven filter behaves
Even the filters in renoise sound better than T.B. vcf .
Rant off
I have to completely disagree. Yes the filters sound different than some other plugins out there, which is a good thing - it compliments other tools really well actually. The LFO editor is amazing, and by combining the filters with visual feedback gives a much better workflow than other tools with mostly a filter frequency and resonance knob.

Amazing plugin in its own right - thanks TB!

Well it's your right to disagree , but It is advertised as a analogue modelled filter plugin and it just doesn't sound like one , it sounds like a simple biquad filter + waveshaper

What's so amazing about the lfo editor ?
You get two lfo's yet they are slaved to the same master clock ,
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm Well it's your right to disagree , but It is advertised as a analogue modelled filter plugin and it just doesn't sound like one , it sounds like a simple biquad filter + waveshaper
I did some more testing and I think your suggestion of a biquad filter + waveshaper is not correct.

If that would be the case, the non-linearities would be level dependent, or even go away if we lower the input level. That doesn't happen actually. Seems therefore more likely there is a more intricate interaction between filter and non-linearities IMHO.

Also a simple biquad filter can't do those sharp resonances as far as I've seen them. They are usually broader, and don't move around with resonance like the filters in this plugin do (and should do if it's analog modelled). Just compare it against your stock EQ and dial in resonance / Q; behaves very different from what this TB plugin does.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 pm Just demo the drop and notice the difference , not only between the different filters but more importantly drive , it has a tremendous impact on the behaviour of the filter/resonance ...this is totally absent in T.B. vcf
Are you actually telling me I should test another (completely different) plugin in order to find out what Dual VCF is doing? :lol:

And here I was thinking test-tones and analyzers would be the way to go… :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

BerryLaCroix wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm

If that would be the case, the non-linearities would be level dependent, or even go away if we lower the input level. That doesn't happen actually. Seems therefore more likely there is a more intricate interaction between filter and non-linearities IMHO.
Well, non-linearities are actually always level-dependent by definition I think and this is certainly the case for the drive here too - as should be expected.

But as I mentioned it also highly depends on the filter-settings - type, frequency and quality all have a big quasi-chaotic (it appears quite unpreditable) influence on the drive (level and order of the produced harmonics) and I think therefor it is safe to say that the drive a) is not sitting after the filter and b) is far from being a simple waveshaper - and it does not at all sound like that either...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

1 I doubt very much that this is simply a waveshaper after the filter, just because of who developed it, but that is just guesswork.
2 I don't actually care, it sounds great.

Yes it needs some extra options in the LFO a snap button, a bezier button would be nice, so you could drag and curve between two points, and it needs some extra speed options too, that plus notch filters and I personally am in filter heaven.
But how realistic that is at these silly prices is unclear to be honest, although Jeroen does tend to give seriously good quality updates over a plugins life span, so here's hoping.

One huge bonus for me personally too is the cross platform nature of the plugin, I can use this on the go on my iPad and it is the exact same plugin I am used to on the desktop, that simply can't be done with the Drop or Zebrify or whatever else.
Duh

@bungle
Thanks for the heads-up.

I need a good quality filter - currently using Vengeance CM filter.

Need a single good swiss army knife filter

- and ToneBoosters are usually very good.

cheers
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Where the f**k does it install the .dlls to ? Not in Steinberg/vstplugins or program files/vstplugins I really hate these stupid installers that don't let you decide the install path

edit - VST2: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\ is where they are installed :evil:

19 euro is a no brainer. Sound quality is outstanding to my ears.
Does anyone know if this is introductory price?
Thanks!

Bezier can be done with mouse wheel above breakpoint
Jeroen already said new filter types are coming .
Eyeball exchanging

Annoying that the ToneBoosters installer doesn't let you choose install path (would prefer not to burden my small SSD C: drive). People absolutely roast other companies for this but I guess TB get away with it because they make good quality stuff at a reasonable price?

I also see now that their terrible "Avangate" payment portal system has been replaced with another one called "2Checkout", for which you need to sign-up a new account and password to retrieve your existing ToneBoosters invoices etc.

Sorry, I digress..

The installer certainly lets you chose the path for VST2

Really? I tried custom install and could not find it. Excuse my negative comment then.

Where you have the options what and what not to install (the tree) you need to click on the VST2 branch and then below the tree a path appears that can be edited. It works always like this for this type of installer afaik.

Return to “Effects”