Unisum Mastering Compressor from Tone Projects

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unisum Mastering Compressor

199 dollars for a compressor. Yeah ok. I have several great free compressor plugins. But good luck anyway.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I've been super broke, used to rely solely on cracked softwares, then bought countless, useless expensive plugins as well after getting rid of all the warez on my former HDs.
I also happen to teach music production & composition to mostly young fellows who are on tight budget, and keep on telling them than there's no correlation between the price of a plugin and its sonic value. / quality. Indeed, a couple of free / inexpensive compressors sound absolutely amazing and better than super expensive options. For instance, TDR Kotlenikov GE is still one of the finest compressors in the market, and it remains very affordable.
Now I can't think of any compressor sounding that good with that much flexibility for that little money : Unisum's seriously impressive.
Now, wether you need it or not is a whole different question. I can tell I'm going to use it a lot (and I own several top options as well).
My $.02 YMMV yada yada yada
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Very true about no correlation between price/quality and Kotelnikov is a supreme example. Well said.

But for Tone Projects, offering their first commercial plugin at this price without first establishing their name and reputation (Basslane aside), leaves them open to valid criticism IMO, especially in this very uncertain economic climate.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm But for Tone Projects, offering their first commercial plugin at this price without first establishing their name and reputation (Basslane aside), leaves them open to valid criticism IMO, especially in this very uncertain economic climate.
It's not their first commercial plugin actually. They released Compadre (a beefy sounding compressor) and Sonitex STX-1260 (a supreme lo-fi plugin) a long time ago. To my view they're VST masters.
I can't wait to try Unisum ! :hyper:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Unisum is now available!
There is more info and a free trial here: Unisum Mastering Compressor from Tone Projects

Cheers,
Rune

Priced out of many peoples range in this current climate.
Good luck to you, but I fear you’re charging a $100 too much.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:47 pm Priced out of many peoples range in this current climate.
Good luck to you, but I fear you’re charging a $100 too much.
i agree , too expensive for me because coronavirus ,i haven't too much money for buy plugins :(

Must agree...too pricey in this corona times.

For those that can afford it and have purchased, here are 35 additional presets that didn't make the cut for final release. Some are a bit "out there".

GOOGLE DRIVE LINK (.zip package)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

This is really a great compressor. And it's cheaper than similar less tweakable ones like Vertigo VSC-3. Pricewise it's not for everyone. But really if you're doing this not professionally or hobby wise a compressor like Klanghelm DC8C or Kotelnikov will allow to get very good results.
Money wise think of it, the developer (Rune) is going through the same Corona crisis as everyone, so he also has to pay bills and for sure spend a lot of time developing and refining this. I think it's not overpriced, but still on the more premium side. It's a very clean mastering comp. Probably comparable with DMG Compassion (which is the same price level). Compassion though is a bit dated and Unisum is much better in usability and has different features /sound possibilites (Anyway, probably Compassion 2 will also be a thing at some day).

All in all I'm happy that something like this is possible in software today and will fit right it in. No need to buy hardware anymore. Thanks Rune.
And thanks bManic

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Rune L-H wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am Intro Price: $149 (reg. price $199)
You're having a laugh :shock:
It's worth every penny. Incredible comp.

I plan to to do the deep listening with this it is a very clean flexible compressor with no mojo at -1DB gain reduct.. he mojo button make less stereo image slightly whilst giving a slight bass bump to the ear. Mojo did not work for the track I tested on making the bass less defin and like a ringy. The track I test it on had a slightly big hi hat. I tried on the SC emphasis at 9k and I heard most a bass increase. not consider this remedi and would use other tool.

It is not an instabuy at intro price. continue to test it on different track and deeper into the spezial setting.
There are many of multi band correct tools, some ease and some very complicate. The complex of the tool has small relation to the ability of tool to make correct result I ignore to the beta tester... even if I have heard they have done the respect work, some case I dont even respect work did. and always to make decision on tool which I hear myself and the end result of tool with remedy audio problem.It sound it not like DMG Compassion it far more transparent clear, Kotelnikov GE like but less pillow sounding.have more to listen to find any secret.

This is not multiband compression though. It's only in the detector.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

shit, this thing works EXTREMELY well.
It feels like a Presswerk/Pro-C2 crossover. Like, both thrown into a single compressor, but on steroids!
I thought Presswerk was tweaker's compressor, but this is next level.
It's pretty much as clean as Pro-C2, has more modes and the modes are EDITABLE.

HYGGE also feels like a pretty peculiar form of coloration, it does some weird things to the stereo correlation (pleasant things) and adds nice harmonics. Feels like PA's TMT, but done RIGHT.
Also, Holger made some presets <3

I wasn't expecting such a top-notch product from someone who hasn't been in the game for quite a while.

It's expensive tho, and I already have 11 compressors. I need to sleep on this, and hopefully sell some shit before intro offer runs out.

quick feedback on the actual interface:
Pros:
- its good, responsive, logical, clear!
Cons:
- an additional modifier (right click) to reset is unnecessary, since vast majority of plugs and hosts uses Alt+click anyway, instead, you could make rightclick+drag a "temporary unlink" drag, so you don't have to move to link/unlink every time you want to do a miniscule adjustment. (i think this one shouldn't be too hard to implement). It's an extreme time saver too, because you diminish amount of mouse movements and clicks you need to do.
- LINK/UNLINK behaviour: in my opinon, when you relink parameters, they should stay in their relative position. Having them jump back together seems rather counterintuitive. i.e.: i do m/s, adjust threshold separately, then i have to jump back and forth to adjust the both together in the same relationship i've just carefully set. Big no-no imo.

Also, i'm kind of torn on the "parallel channel" view.
PressWerk has this solved by having an "overlay" but only one set of controls, and you switch whether you're editing CH1 or CH2, which has it's own set of caveats... But I gue

Return to “Effects”