Is Echoboy still your top 3 ? I am thinking to buy Objeq delay ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have lots of high quality delays to choose from but I still reach for Echoboy first 99% of the time.
Nothing beats quickly setting up the delay pattern I want and then cycling through the various emulation modes until I get the sound I want.
It's just a great balance of simplicity and depth.

There are lots of great delays for special purposes or very unique sounds but if I had to choose just one all arounder, or a first delay (aside from stock delays which are very good in most DAW's), I would choose Echoboy for sure.
Last edited by Local Man on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

this one for me https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... teReplies/

but objeq delay is also good, as are stock delays. I have not tried the valhalla delay but sold echoboy - just did not use it. I have sandman pro but dont really use it much either. I should as it has powerful features, and in writing this I am thinking sandman pro hosted within Late Replies might be worth a go

Creative delay is a bit confusing here. I´m not sure if you really know what you expect from a delay plugin. Echoboy can be extremely creative if you know what you want and how to achieve it for your music. Tantra, Tekturon and Replica XT as other people already mentioned are monsters in terms of creativity. I have Objeq Delay and like it for its versatile sound design capabilities but it can´t replace Valhalla Delay or Echoboy, no way.
Last edited by enCiphered on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

EchoBoy is still good, sure, but there's a lot of fancy new plugins on the market now that weren't there when Echoboy was in its prime and considered the Best. Now we have the amazing Valhalla Delay, the swiss-army knife Replika-XT (which has some very useful features missing from echoboy, like ducking, the ability to pan the dry signal, and more) and the incredible Sandman Pro, which makes all-powerful modulation of delay settings a breeze. EchoBoy feels almost 'simple' by comparison. But it sounds good, and it's easy to use, so yeah, it still has a place. But honestly I use those other three a lot more: Valhalla for Vintage / retro, Replika-XT for when I need specific tricks (like a Resonant filter in the feedback loop, this is rarely found, in fact I think Replika-XT is the only delay I own or know of with a *resonant* filter inside the feedback loop!) and sandman when I want to get deep into crazy-IDM modulations / sound-design.

mholloway wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am Replika-XT for when I need specific tricks (like a Resonant filter in the feedback loop, this is rarely found, in fact I think Replika-XT is the only delay I own or know of with a *resonant* filter inside the feedback loop!)
Late Replies has two feedback loops that can host up to 4 vst's in each - and you can automate the vst paramters as wel!!! - not surprisingly it can be a bit daunting and takes a while to learn.
Another good delay is the Rob Papen one - we live in an age of miracles :)

Is Echoboy still your top 3 ?
Yes. As much as I love Valhalla Delay, Replika XT, etc., they just can't replace Echoboy.

Kinh wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 am use your stock delay instead
Meh. It depends on one's DAW. In my case...I'll stick with Echoboy. :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09 am
Is Echoboy still your top 3 ?
Yes. As much as I love Valhalla Delay, Replika XT, etc., they just can't replace Echoboy.
Yeah - I absolutely agree. Echoboy is just my number one choice for delays. It's so easy to create exactly what you want.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

statue wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:19 pm EchoBoy is still my favorite plugin of all time.
It's right up there for me too. :tu:

((()))
Last edited by Russell Grand on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am EchoBoy is still good, sure, but there's a lot of fancy new plugins on the market now that weren't there when Echoboy was in its prime and considered the Best. Now we have the amazing Valhalla Delay, the swiss-army knife Replika-XT (which has some very useful features missing from echoboy, like ducking, the ability to pan the dry signal, and more) and the incredible Sandman Pro, which makes all-powerful modulation of delay settings a breeze. EchoBoy feels almost 'simple' by comparison. But it sounds good, and it's easy to use, so yeah, it still has a place. But honestly I use those other three a lot more: Valhalla for Vintage / retro, Replika-XT for when I need specific tricks (like a Resonant filter in the feedback loop, this is rarely found, in fact I think Replika-XT is the only delay I own or know of with a *resonant* filter inside the feedback loop!) and sandman when I want to get deep into crazy-IDM modulations / sound-design.
Ooo I'd completely forgotten about Sandman Pro! Thanks for the reminder. 8)

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 am Late Replies has two feedback loops that can host up to 4 vst's in each - and you can automate the vst paramters as wel!!! - not surprisingly it can be a bit daunting and takes a while to learn.
Another good delay is the Rob Papen one - we live in an age of miracles :)
If your DAW supports audio feedback loops, you can put any effects you want inside the feedback path of a delay by just routing the wet output through your effects and back into the delay input.

And yes, Objeq Delay is great, my only complaint being that you can't control the object resonance frequency with a MIDI note, which seems like one of the most obvious things you'd want to do with it.

Valhalla Delay is great.

Echoboy <-> Valhalla Delay

hmmm - love my EchoBoy but whenever I feel like a "creative" delay, I'm reaching for EchoBode

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Effects”