VST3 folder locations

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I understand it, on Windows systems, all VST3 plug-ins have to be installed in (a sub-folder in) Prog Files\Common Files\VST3 or Prog Files(x86)\Common Files\VST3.

Is that correct?

Isn't that contrary to the Windows protection scheme and run into file access / UAC problems on Windows 7 (and Vista)?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

No, because only the binaries and other files that don't change in day to day use are supposed to be stored under Program Files (or ProgramData in case of data). Presets, settings and other user editable stuff should be stored elsewhere (e.g. in the user profile or some user defined directory).

Thanks paterpeter for the reply.

So, if they are "well-behaved" (i.e coded in accordance with Windows conventions) then they should be OK.

Can they go in sub-folders? For exampel ...\VST\Time FX\Reverbs\myownreverb.vst3 ?

I did see somewhere that organising and categorising VST3 plugins should be done in the host. But surely that depends on the host (or is it a push towards using Cubendo?)

Is there a guide to VST3? I've Googled around but did not hit on anything other than top-level blurbs.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: So, if they are "well-behaved" (i.e coded in accordance with Windows conventions) then they should be OK.
Yes, and most plugins are well-behaved in this respect. Many do NOT work well with multi user-account scenarios in Windows out of the box - which annoys me like hell - but that's a slightly different topic.
Can they go in sub-folders? For exampel ...\VST\Time FX\Reverbs\myownreverb.vst3 ?
Yes. E.g. the Melda plugins do exactly this by default.
Is there a guide to VST3? I've Googled around but did not hit on anything other than top-level blurbs.
Well, what do you want to know? And from which perspective (user or developer)? AFAIK there isn't much real benefit in VST3 vs VST2.4 - most features that are marketed as "VST 3 features" have been achieved in VST2 one way or the other.

"what do you want to know?"

Just from a user perspective - the features over and above VST2.4, how /where to install them and any constraints imposed. So that if / when I come to use them I do not have to reinstall / rearrange things. (I have no idea if / when my hosts will support VST3)
Last edited by DarkStar on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inspired by ...

I would like to delete a VST3 plugin - the recent Access Virus Ti installer now installs VST3 plugins too and now I have Studio One I decided to try them but it has installed a plugin for the Snow too and I don't need that so how do I get rid of it? I wish I had the same control over where they go as I do with normal VST plugins.

In 9 years has there been any change to where I can install VST3 plugins?
I would like to move them from my C drive. Possible?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 am In 9 years has there been any change to where I can install VST3 plugins?
Why not? The ...blahblah/commonfiles/blah.. is just a default location.
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Haptix wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 am In 9 years has there been any change to where I can install VST3 plugins?
Why not? The ...blahblah/commonfiles/blah.. is just a default location.
I have all my audio software on E:

My understanding is that the restrictions are imposed by the DAW or the plugins themselves. A lot of installers don't offer an install location option, and if a DAW doesn't have an option to scan custom folders, you're lumbered with the defaults.
So I'd say it's down to 3rd party developers, not the VST standard.
Short version: it all depends...

I had a installer recently which let me choose where to install the VST3. Of course, you have to add the custom folder to your DAW's plugin folders in order to see them.

So, nope they don't HAVE to be installed in Program Files/Common FIles/VST3, or the x86 equivalent. But, most installers won't let you choose the destination.

Ok, thanks guys.

My C drive it out of control so trying to trim it down where possible.

A Symbolic Link would fix this. Check out:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am A Symbolic Link would fix this. Check out:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
Well aren't you a clever one. This is my project for the weekend :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”