Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

I have a feature request (or guidance if this is already available) but I need the LFO/Mod Wheel to manipulate the volume as an adjustable waveform in the Unify Sampler. Meaning I need to use the Mod Wheel to vary the pulsating volume (like tremolo), not just the pulsating pitch (vibrato). This is especially useful for flutes and vibraphone type sounds when set to a sine or triangle waves, but can be much different when set to square and saw waves, of course. Thanks!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 pm I have a feature request (or guidance if this is already available) but I need the LFO/Mod Wheel to manipulate the volume as an adjustable waveform in the Unify Sampler. Meaning I need to use the Mod Wheel to vary the pulsating volume (like tremolo), not just the pulsating pitch (vibrato). This is especially useful for flutes and vibraphone type sounds when set to a sine or triangle waves, but can be much different when set to square and saw waves, of course. Thanks!
This is something I'll be adding very soon! In the meantime, consider using an instance of PumpHouse as an insert effect, and using a macro knob to connect the Mod Wheel to its Depth parameter. A bonus of that approach is that the PumpHouse "LFO" is tempo-synced and can have any shape you like.

getdunne wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 pm
SciFiArtMan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 pm I have a feature request (or guidance if this is already available) but I need the LFO/Mod Wheel to manipulate the volume as an adjustable waveform in the Unify Sampler. Meaning I need to use the Mod Wheel to vary the pulsating volume (like tremolo), not just the pulsating pitch (vibrato). This is especially useful for flutes and vibraphone type sounds when set to a sine or triangle waves, but can be much different when set to square and saw waves, of course. Thanks!
This is something I'll be adding very soon! In the meantime, consider using an instance of PumpHouse as an insert effect, and using a macro knob to connect the Mod Wheel to its Depth parameter. A bonus of that approach is that the PumpHouse "LFO" is tempo-synced and can have any shape you like.
Thanks Shane, I'll give that workaround a try!

getdunne wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:30 pm
Chipi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 am The concept that I had in mind ... would be that you could be in any sound, and that another window could be opened under a separator with another sound. It would be impressive if you could audition one or the other to select layers of a sound that interests us, copy and paste it to the sound of the main section, and continue pre-auditioning other sounds in the section below. In this way the copy / paste layers and effects function would be very convenient.
We're planning something similar to what you suggest for a future update to Unify.

However, you can already do this by adding an INST layer and choosing Unify itself (i.e., the Unify VST plug-in) as the instrument. You can then open the "embedded" Unify, load patches to audition them, and copy/paste layers into the "outer" Unify, etc. Solo that INST layer to hear only the embedded Unify; Mute it to hear the patch you're building without it.

Unify is just another plug-in. You can even open multiple instances of Unify within Unify.

Thanks Shane :tu:

@getdunne

Now with the PolyBox implemented, will you add a feature to randomize how it plays each layer? Not just a straight round-robin. I would find this very intriguing.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I appreciate all the updates and added functionality. But is there any word about the latency thing ?

Would love to actually use Unify for leads and arps without having to manually move parts around, or without worrying about what plug-ins i can or can not use.

When i look at other instruments i see for example in PhasePlant that the changing latency by using different snap-ins is always reported and thus everything is played tight and in sync. Is it hard to implement something like that in Unify ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm I appreciate all the updates and added functionality. But is there any word about the latency thing ?

Would love to actually use Unify for leads and arps without having to manually move parts around, or without worrying about what plug-ins i can or can not use.

When i look at other instruments i see for example in PhasePlant that the changing latency by using different snap-ins is always reported and thus everything is played tight and in sync. Is it hard to implement something like that in Unify ?
Latency compensation is still on my to-do list, but so are a great many other things, so it may be a while before I can get to it. It's not "hard", but it will require careful implementation and a lot of testing.

Which plug-ins do you use that add enough latency that parts don't play tight? I'm genuinely curious, and also I need to know which ones to test with. (Preferably, not expensive ones...)

There's one thing that I find strange (perhaps it's just my awkward thinking) :
There's a preset in the factory library, I completely change it, replace instruments, turn off effects, then I unable to save it, because : "You cannot save over .upf preset. Use a new filename for your own patches". So can I save it or not, and if yes - how, and if no, will this change in the future? Of course it's not a huge thing, but can be painful ...

dune_rave wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:42 pm There's one thing that I find strange (perhaps it's just my awkward thinking) :
There's a preset in the factory library, I completely change it, replace instruments, turn off effects, then I unable to save it, because : "You cannot save over .upf preset. Use a new filename for your own patches". So can I save it or not, and if yes - how, and if no, will this change in the future? Of course it's not a huge thing, but can be painful ...
For me, the answer is to save to the User Library, and then I add my name to the end of the title so I know it's my version of the patch. And then in the future, I will load my patch and not the factory patch. I do this to most patches as I love to fine-tune 'em.

I just tried out Beepstreet's Dagger (4 instances) in Unify and it sounds very good using PolyBox. I tweeked the same preset a bit for each of the 4 layers. :)

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm @getdunne

Now with the PolyBox implemented, will you add a feature to randomize how it plays each layer? Not just a straight round-robin. I would find this very intriguing.
+1

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm @getdunne

Shane (in comments) and John said, in one of the streaming videos that they were already looking into this. As I understand it, this sequencing effect was not specifically intended, as the original focus was to play mono synths in a poly mode, and they kind of discovered the sequencing part after the fact. PolyBox's sequencing effect is amazing, and much fun could be explored in various patterns and layer stacks. It'll be cool to see how it develops!

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm Now with the PolyBox implemented, will you add a feature to randomize how it plays each layer? Not just a straight round-robin. I would find this very intriguing.
Yes it's a great idea, which is definitely on my to-do list along with several other variations.

Does anyone know here if I can use the Guru Sampler to upload my own samples there? is it possible to upload samples to that instrument? :?: :?

Yes, it is possible. Please check the online manual.

Return to “Instruments”