Softube Chandler Germanium compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In this crazy time of crisis due to to Covid 19 it would be crazy to buy and spend money for a plug-in especially a compressor plugin that is not cheap.

And that just what I did

Yes it is that good
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

It’s a very special compressor, Softube did a great job with it.

After taking advice from users recommending how to use it, I demoed it for the second time today and discovered it was an amazing sound tool. Have actually only used it on a Roland Cloud TB-303 but spent about an hour experimenting with it because it just sounds so good once you find that sweet spot. And there are plenty of sweet spots!! Really looking forward to trying it on drums.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Yes, I agree, it's absolutely awesome, one of the best sounding compressors I've ever heard, if not the very best. But it's very hard to master at first, with its weird dry/wet behaviour and its unintuitive drive and feedback parameters. But the price is crazy when compared to what you can get elsewhere, even with all discounts applied. I'll wait for a better offer on this one.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

For me, the Germanium is far more than a compressor. In the very brief time I have used it I can tell that it has some really fantastic sound shaping capabilities. I would put this right near the top of my pile of favourite compressors alongside the Kush Audio AR-1 and the Empircal Labs Arouser (plus the UAD FATSO and Distressor). Plus I must not forget the fabulous MIA 925Compressor. I can hear that these other compressors will get used after the Germanium as the Germanium will, most times, need to be tamed before it sits well in the mix. I have put two Germaniums in series with the first adding some extra low end and the second then gelling the sound but it still needed another compressor after it to sit well in the mix. But, like I say, I have only used it briefly for a few hours today on a couple of Roland Cloud TB-303s. I might discover other areas where it excels, perhaps if used more "delicately" and then, maybe, no other compressor would be needed after it.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

When I first tried the Chandler Germanium I was like wtf because it didn't seem to react how I expected. I'm so glad I gave it another shot, because I eventually discovered what a creative tool it is.

The two knobs ; drive and feedback is where you control the tonality, distortion and color. You can make it clean and bright or thick and creamy if you want. It’s also giving you analog punch and depth for your stereo buss when you use it in conjunction with softube tape plugin. f**king amazing I would say.

I have all kind of compressor plugins ie. Sonnox, FF, Eventide, Melda TurboComp, klanghelm and more and these are very good but nothing like germanium.

It’s simply the best compressor plugins ever made.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

I demoed it and decided not to buy it, but then I've been using a pair of the hardware Germ Comps as my main mastering compressors almost daily for over twelve years now (they are my fave pieces of gear of all time). I would love to be able to sell them off, buy this, and gain a fat wad of cash, but it just ain't happening. They sound kinda close, but not close enough. What is cool is the extra post process gain stage and the built in M/S functions.

The Germ Comps are all about the gain staging.

Does it take a lot of Cpu power?

This plugin is the best compressor I have ever heard. Plugins like this I like buying... i canot replicate what the germanium is doing with anyother tool

yeah it's pretty good.
Softube is expensive, but somehow most of what i get from them it becomes a part of my go-to list.

This compressor is great ! Very specific sound that I can't replace with any other ITB compressor. Softube did a great job with the Chandler and Weiss bundles.

Weiss is absolutely gorgeous. I love it

*lol*

After applying the discount code it's still 199$ - what a bargain - I want some of what they're smoking...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:35 am *lol*

After applying the discount code it's still 199$ - what a bargain - I want some of what they're smoking...
Yeah we got so used to price-dumping none of us can imagine paying a fair price for a good plug anymore.
Well there’s always waves and PA for you

Return to “Effects”