Im want to become a producer

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

My name is Cesar Cuevas im from venezuela but living in argentina at the moment!

And I would like to actually ask you for your help because I would like to know the best plug-ins for instrument virtualization for pro-tools or fl studio, im trying to produce my own songs, since I have a few written already and well... we're on quarentine right here. so yeah.

Im looking for a jeremy zucker kind of vibe, pop, trap, or even rocky sound.

(Im new at the forum so I dont really knwo If I should be posting this in this section but yeah)

Thank you so much in advance.

CesarCuevas wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:12 am Hello!

My name is Cesar Cuevas im from venezuela but living in argentina at the moment!

And I would like to actually ask you for your help because I would like to know the best plug-ins for instrument virtualization for pro-tools or fl studio, im trying to produce my own songs, since I have a few written already and well... we're on quarentine right here. so yeah.

Im looking for a jeremy zucker kind of vibe, pop, trap, or even rocky sound.

(Im new at the forum so I dont really knwo If I should be posting this in this section but yeah)

Thank you so much in advance.
here is your best bet ...
perhaps a mod will come along and move it for you ...

np :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I didn't know the artist, but I think you can get near that with Kontakt, like previously pointed out. However, first use the standard plugins that come with your DAW before even thinking about buying Kontakt. Get a feel if you really like music production first, I recommend.

Start by spending a lot of time working with the stock tools that come with your DAW.
You mention Pro Tools and FL Studio. Do you have those already or are you just considering them?
If you are still looking for a DAW, Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and comes with a lot of high quality stuff if you're on Windows, and Logic is relatively cheap and comes with a ton of great stuff if you're on Mac.

Everybody is obsessed with plugins but plugins should be thought of as specialized tools for professionals. If you are a beginner, you simply do not need them (I'm talking about 3rd party plugins as opposed to stock plugins that come with your DAW).

It's like someone saying, I would like to start dabbling in photography, what high end lens should I buy first?
If you are starting, learn the basics. And there's no better way to do that than just spending a lot of time with whatever it is you already have.
Time, experience, and work are a thousand times more important than having a particular type of tool when you are just starting out.

After a while you will start to know what you are doing and then you will know what part of your tool set is lacking. You won't even have to ask. You will know.

Hi

Some advices, but keep in mind Im not a pro:

1 - Pick a daw. Try a few demos, all of them do basically the same but with different workflows.
2 - Keep your tools limited. You don't need 5 eq's and 10 synths, this would make you lost focus. Don't waste time browsing for the "best synth", or "best reverb". Instead I suggest you browse "how to use reverb" or "how synths work".
3 - Make a ton of tracks and don't aim for perfection. Keep in mind that most of them will suck, but it's part of the learning process.

Cheers

youtube will be your friend for DAW tutorials.

Or have a look at groove3 (training videos).

PS - I'd personally avoid Protools and go with something like FL or Ableton.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Same tips from here. Start with a free DAW and if it doesn't contain any synths, grab a couple of freeware synths.

Don't spend a single coin on synths.

Play first year or two with freeware.

Bedroom producers blog can help you greatly, when looking for your freeware studio.

And Pro Tools isn't the best for midi-instruments. For strictly wav, or aiff-files, yes. Cubase is the best one when it comes to midi. But others might be enough for you anyway. Cakewalk by bandlab is still free so go get it. You can't get any better DAW that is free. It used to cost at least 100$ each year for upgrade if I'm not wrong.

the most basic list i can think of for someone who wants to become a producer from 0

1) Learn a DAW whether its Fruityloops or Cubase (download tutorials ,learn how to automate ,shortcuts)

2) Learn some basics on sound Synthesis (programs like Syntorial can make it an awesome process ) Start with a subtractive (Sylenth) go on to Wavetable Synth (Serum) and then check out FM synth (fm8,dexxed,sytrus) - this will also help later on with eq-ing ,compression,evnelopes etc

3) learn the basics of A)Compression + sidechaining with compressors B)Equalizers - linear and parametric C)Limiters

4) What is a Reverbs , Delays and Distortion plugins , Gates and Arpegiattors

5) Track Arrangement (different styles of music have usually different arrangements and

6) Referencing tracks , cross-referencing for levels,loudness,quality,arrangement , metering and volume differences

7) Mixing & mixing techniques, this is natural process that should be going on while you are composing your track , learning compression,eq, will help you improve in this but also make it easier to master a track

8) Mastering , this should usually be left do a dedicated professional when you have a track ready to hit the floors but until then it won't hurt to learn through some tutorials , again learning EQ and Compression and Limiters will help in this stage too

9) Last and best Groove and Rythm and drum placement , most new producers specially on electronic music have a hard time making decent drum grooves ,get D16 Drumazon vsti and 200 Drum Machine Patterns off of Amazon and recreate as many drum patterns as you can,do the same for iconic drum breaks , there are tons of good tutorials around so good luck

and like most of us recommend keep it simple , 2-3 synths , 1-2 compresor's , 1-2 eq's you dont need thousands of different plugins to keep you occupied from learning a few really well in shorter time
"Proud Steinberg Cubase 8.5 User ever since Cubasis AV"

The comment from koukouba highlights some great things you should definitely take a look at as a beginner, so I won't repeat what has already been said.

But, I just wanted to add that there's no need for you to jump into buying plugins and cashing out a hefty amount of money, especially giving Jeremy Zucker a listen, you might be able to find free plugins that can produce a similar sound and something you're looking for. Of course, it's not ideal and free software can be limited, but there are definitely gems out there. And once you feel like you're comfortable producing such music, take the leap and invest in some good software.

There's no need to rush as a beginner.
Take care :wink:

I can't believe that no one starts their list with "learn a musical instrument". This to me should be the number one priority - you don't need to learn it really well, just get some basics under your belt so you can play music...

Forgotten wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:12 pm I can't believe that no one starts their list with "learn a musical instrument". This to me should be the number one priority - you don't need to learn it really well, just get some basics under your belt so you can play music...
Because it isn’t a necessity. That’s why.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”