Reaper V6.... oh boy !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hivkorn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm yep guy , i officialy switched to Reaper , now it will take time to set my preference but now i will make music more then maintenance !
Please treat yourself by downloading this ;) 
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8075/ZD-Ultimate.reascale

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 pm I can tell you this, that you will arrive back at Studio One, I'll guarantee it... :) You can cobble together a bed with odd nuts and bolts, but it's no substitute for a professionally built new one...oh and that's coming pretty soon... :-D
It's great that you love Studio One but it comes across as patronizing when you direct comments like this to other people. I've been using DAWs for probably about 21 years at this point. I know what I like, how I like things to work, and what I don't like.

And I like a LOT about Studio One. The drag and drop workflow is well implemented, audio editing is great, Control Link is nice...but I really hope they get it together on the MIDI side of the house because that's what sent me off to Cubase in the first place. But both S1 and Cubase suck when it comes to performance, and S1 does a lot of other stuff poorly IMO (MIDI is in the stone age, their "green Z" low latency mode not working with plugins that don't support VST automation, no track templates for audio, etc.). If you don't run into those roadblocks, good for you.

I can tell you this...I may upgrade my Studio One license, as sometimes I do like to keep a few DAWs on my system for plugin testing, or just taking advantage of some of the better features of other DAWs for certain workflows. But now that I've "got it," I've built up a great workflow in Reaper and find that it is the fewest weaknesses of any DAW I've ever used, and the most strengths. No DAW is perfect, but for me, Reaper's got the fewest weaknesses. Maybe Studio One 5 will address my big complaints, and be the most amazing thing ever. Maybe you know stuff I don't on that topic. But out of everything available today, it's Reaper for me. If that changes in the future...that's ok. DAWs are not religion.
Not really, I really think that continually DAW surfing is counter-productive because you are continually having to re-learn and unlearn things and you end up not making the most of your own skills to capitalise on one application you use. Reaper Cubase and Studio One are very similar, but they are ever so slightly different and that's counter-productive and lends itself to frustration when flipped between. It's for that reason I stuck to using Reason for 13 solid years and when I switched, I did it in one clean cut and didn't look back, and most importantly... music production sky-rocketed as a result.

You can pick and choose little bits of what you perceive to be restricting you and spend time trying to fill a round hole with square peg...but what happens when those addons stop working or are no longer updated... Cubase is a big DAW, and some people have been using it for 20 years and still don't use all the functions it has, because they forged their own workflow and system of music production.

The performance differences between these DAWs and the use of plugins is negligible, the regularity of how you make music with them will vary upon the needs you require, but none of them will ultimately be show stoppers that prevent you in getting to the destination you require. DAWs are just tools at the end of the day, it's a lot more about knowing your tool and mastering it and that's something you just won't do by continually jumping between them...

Where's Reaper going to be in 5 years ? Still having an underlying GUI and that's still in living in 1998...probably... I mean if playing with DAW's is just a fun hobby fair enough, but if you're serious about producing music I think and just as many other leading producers of our time do, in that when you pick a DAW, you do it for the long haul, because learning means time, money, fun and ultimately satisfaction at the end of the day, and you can do all that with just one DAW, and for that, you want the best tool to achieve that goal.

For me within the first 6 months with S1, I had already developed a completely new song development technique, and that eliminated any issues that I knew that I may encounter further along the road relating to CPU use, because I applied the skills I knew as a long time music producer that I knew I could apply regardless of the DAW being used. Stop looking for solutions and think about how to create them yourself... is pretty much what I'm saying, because it's that which will drive you past any barriers you may encounter. :wink:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:04 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 pm I can tell you this, that you will arrive back at Studio One, I'll guarantee it... :) You can cobble together a bed with odd nuts and bolts, but it's no substitute for a professionally built new one...oh and that's coming pretty soon... :-D
It's great that you love Studio One but it comes across as patronizing when you direct comments like this to other people. I've been using DAWs for probably about 21 years at this point. I know what I like, how I like things to work, and what I don't like.

And I like a LOT about Studio One. The drag and drop workflow is well implemented, audio editing is great, Control Link is nice...but I really hope they get it together on the MIDI side of the house because that's what sent me off to Cubase in the first place. But both S1 and Cubase suck when it comes to performance, and S1 does a lot of other stuff poorly IMO (MIDI is in the stone age, their "green Z" low latency mode not working with plugins that don't support VST automation, no track templates for audio, etc.). If you don't run into those roadblocks, good for you.

I can tell you this...I may upgrade my Studio One license, as sometimes I do like to keep a few DAWs on my system for plugin testing, or just taking advantage of some of the better features of other DAWs for certain workflows. But now that I've "got it," I've built up a great workflow in Reaper and find that it is the fewest weaknesses of any DAW I've ever used, and the most strengths. No DAW is perfect, but for me, Reaper's got the fewest weaknesses. Maybe Studio One 5 will address my big complaints, and be the most amazing thing ever. Maybe you know stuff I don't on that topic. But out of everything available today, it's Reaper for me. If that changes in the future...that's ok. DAWs are not religion.
Not really, I really think that continually DAW surfing is counter-productive because you are continually having to re-learn and unlearn things and you end up not making the most of your own skills to capitalise on one application you use. Reaper Cubase and Studio One are very similar, but they are ever so slightly different and that's counter-productive and lends itself to frustration when flipped between. It's for that reason I stuck to using Reason for 13 solid years and when I switched, I did it in one clean cut and didn't look back, and most importantly... music production sky-rocketed as a result.

You can pick and choose little bits of what you perceive to be restricting you and spend time trying to fill a round hole with square peg...but what happens when those addons stop working or are no longer updated... Cubase is a big DAW, and some people have been using it for 20 years and still don't use all the functions it has, because they forged their own workflow and system of music production.

The performance differences between these DAWs and the use of plugins is negligible, the regularity of how you make music with them will vary upon the needs you require, but none of them will ultimately be show stoppers that prevent you in getting to the destination you require. DAWs are just tools at the end of the day, it's a lot more about knowing your tool and mastering it and that's something you just won't do by continually jumping between them...

Where's Reaper going to be in 5 years ? Still having an underlying GUI and that's still in living in 1998...probably... I mean if playing with DAW's is just a fun hobby fair enough, but if you're serious about producing music I think and just as many other leading producers of our time do, in that when you pick a DAW, you do it for the long haul, because learning means time, money, fun and ultimately satisfaction at the end of the day, and you can do all that with just one DAW, and for that, you want the best tool to achieve that goal.

For me within the first 6 months with S1, I had already developed a completely new song development technique, and that eliminated any issues that I knew that I may encounter further along the road relating to CPU use, because I applied the skills I knew as a long time music producer that I knew I could apply regardless of the DAW being used. Stop looking for solutions and think about how to create them yourself... is pretty much what I'm saying, because it's that which will drive you past any barriers you may encounter. :wink:
Performance in S1 is not even close to REAPER, where did you get that? From one of those useless plugin count tests?

If studio one could received midi note off message, and manage mpe like Reaper...Ui is a thing, workflow is another. And in terms of workflow, Reaper is really great.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:52 am And in terms of workflow, Reaper is really great.
Shhh...quieten down there Buddy...

You can't say things like that...

The Reaper haters will be here soon...

Best to keep all da good stuff away from the bigots :)
No auto tune...

I've been using Reaper for years and today was a typical experience for me - after weeks of smooth sailing, I got some projects happening last night, shut everything down for the night. Opened up this morning and the last project from last night would not even open. Much mucking around seeing which plugin it was etc - it was Riffer with certain settings (all of which have been fine for months) - so rewound the Reaper version a few updates - and, just as bad. Then I changed to an old config backup and things were still much the same. Until they weren't. Who knows? but for me this is very much part of the Reaper experience, and I would love to change to something better - but I have yet to find it - I have been tempted by Studio One, Bitwig and Live with M4L but great as they are they all have their own issues. So I live with the flawed Reaper, mostly happy enough because I am very comfortable with how it works. Live with M4L is a tempter tho, but way too expensive for me.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:36 am I've been using Reaper for years and today was a typical experience for me - after weeks of smooth sailing, I got some projects happening last night, shut everything down for the night. Opened up this morning and the last project from last night would not even open. Much mucking around seeing which plugin it was etc - it was Riffer with certain settings (all of which have been fine for months) - so rewound the Reaper version a few updates - and, just as bad. Then I changed to an old config backup and things were still much the same. Until they weren't. Who knows? but for me this is very much part of the Reaper experience, and I would love to change to something better - but I have yet to find it - I have been tempted by Studio One, Bitwig and Live with M4L but great as they are they all have their own issues. So I live with the flawed Reaper, mostly happy enough because I am very comfortable with how it works. Live with M4L is a tempter tho, but way too expensive for me.
A problem i have yet to have, ever. But it is true, all DAWs have their issues. I’m good with Alive with M4L and Reaper. Someday maybe i’ll have Nuendo, too.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:04 pm
If you're serious about producing music, the tool used is not important as long as the they are in the same technical range.
You can have the best tools but if you don't know how to use it ?
A good producer can make good song with any DAW.
I red about a porducer which was still working with a 10 years old Logic version because it was stable.
Good songs where done before DAW ever existed.

And also, many if not all leading producers work with a team with each a different task, ghost producers, sound engineer, composer, marketing ... and different tools are used during the process and lot of unafordable hardware outgears.

digitalboytn wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 am
Whywhy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:52 am And in terms of workflow, Reaper is really great.

I hate Reaper because
It is cheap
customisable
CPU efficient, can run on a 10 years old potatoe
only 19.7 Mo to download
Updated every weeks
doesn't need agressive marketing to sell
portable install
no fancy girls on video tutorials
not promoted by stupid famous fake artists
Is made for real men not pussies
Is way ahead of the competition

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

dupont wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 am

I hate Reaper because
It is cheap
customisable
Does not crash enough
only 19.7 Mo to download
Updated every weeks
portable install

I hate Reaper because
It is cheap
customisable
Does not crash enough
only 19.7 Mo to download
Updated every weeks
portable install

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 pm Performance in S1 is not even close to REAPER, where did you get that? From one of those useless plugin count tests?
In fact and at least on Windows the performance of S1 is very very close to Reaper...

Reaper got a little bit of "headroom" before the system maxes out because of the prerendering of it´s anticipative FX and therefor it maxes out every single core a little bit better but these are only noticeable in very extrem situations...

Perhaps this is a little bit more noticeable with very little buffer settings which are BS in my opinion when it comes to performance but Reaper being far ahead over all others is longtime history and by far not true anymore...

On Macs I cannot tell but this is a different story anyway...

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm
hivkorn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm yep guy , i officialy switched to Reaper , now it will take time to set my preference but now i will make music more then maintenance !
what is this stuff ?

Trancit wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 pm Performance in S1 is not even close to REAPER, where did you get that? From one of those useless plugin count tests?
In fact and at least on Windows the performance of S1 is very very close to Reaper...

Reaper got a little bit of "headroom" before the system maxes out because of the prerendering of it´s anticipative FX and therefor it maxes out every single core a little bit better but these are only noticeable in very extrem situations...

Perhaps this is a little bit more noticeable with very little buffer settings which are BS in my opinion when it comes to performance but Reaper being far ahead over all others is longtime history and by far not true anymore...

On Macs I cannot tell but this is a different story anyway...
On Mac, I encounter random audio glitches with S1, frequent bug on OSX, not with Reaper.

hivkorn wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm
what is this stuff ?
Crapload of scales. Just pick for example G (and maybe some Hindu scale) and you'll never miss a note ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”