Exponential Audio Excalibur

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 am
Daimonicon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 pm No demo's?
There's plenty on YT.
Any recommendations? I didn't find any that really explore the fx algorithms and demonstrate the workflow. Just preset-hopping and the modulation system...

imrae wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:55 am
robotmonkey wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 am
Daimonicon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 pm No demo's?
There's plenty on YT.
Any recommendations? I didn't find any that really explore the fx algorithms and demonstrate the workflow. Just preset-hopping and the modulation system...
You are correct about that there aren't many that explore the fx algorithms. That's actually one of the things I did not find on YT and I could not find the manual either. As it cost me 5$ I went ahead and bought it anyway. There's not that many fx algorithms in it. Pretty standard stuff, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Pitch Shifter, Distoriton and Resonator.
No signature here!

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 am
c_voltage wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:21 pm I already multi FX from UA
Even with just this, i think you will not miss anything.
The only minor advantages of Excalibur i guess, it's near to zero cpu usage, and impressive automatable list, which really huge.
In rest, i believe that if has all of UA fx's, they can give a much more.
I have all UA and still amd happy with Excalibur at $10 - for example the resonator sounds different to BYOME. I am goign to spend a bit of time with it to get a few chorus presets I like - I think all the modulation will work well with that. It seems to embed nicely inside BlueCat Late Replies so that will get some use as well
Well, ok, about resonance-related built-ins - i did not compared with UA stuff frankly to say yet, you right.
But if talk about sounding\setting of this modules, i'm just did not impressed, for example due to quite short maximum decay time (9 sec), and feedback not counts here.

Frankly would prefer some other resonators, where you not restrict by tail time, that quite important moment for design needs\some related genres imo.
The same can say btw about built-in reverb, sad lack.

Due to that little moments (incl. what i wrote about delaytime before), i'm during dig Excalibur in last night, once again convinced of his too subtle nature. I mean, yes - it can sounds fully wet, with entirely covering of signal by some ordinary effect. OR, dynamically, creating some inclusions or spatializing (that is his main advantage, i assume). Likewise, mixing all this (often giving a dirty). In the end, covering all sorts of dirty sound options.
But, i see picture where not capable to give clean and radical transformation of signal, and i guess not a last reason it's exactly lack of infinity (constant) tails ability, and fully modulating the delay, thats could give a keep of clear energy (and concomitant effect on short modulations), and a serious mangling of time.
Sometimes it seems to me that developers too greedy for remove the barriers so that the person himself determines them. :D

Finally got around to playing with this and even at €9 it's overpriced. It's a UI abomination and the sound isn't good enough to make up for it. Back in the drawer it goes.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

So you are saying that if I dont get this thing, I would first save about 9 Bucks which is around 18 Cans of Beans or even more; then second wouldnt have to get embarrassed about how bad the Denise #freebie actually sounds & still be more than happy about all of this?

@Mushy
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:02 pm So you are saying that if I dont get this thing, I would first save about 9 Bucks which is around 18 Cans of Beans or even more; then second wouldnt have to get embarrassed about how bad the Denise #freebie actually sounds & still be more than happy about all of this?

@Mushy
I can't see myself ever using it TBH. I scrolled through a few presets and nothing stuck out as interesting. Then I went straight to the sound I needed right now which was a Flanger then realised I couldn't scroll through the presets. At that moment I replaced it with Echobode and got a result instantly.

EDIT: So clicking left/right on the keyboard allows scrolling of presets. Still prefer Echobode though 8)
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:05 pm I couldn't scroll through the presets.
Yes you can, just use the arrow keys of your keyboard.
More BPM please

Ok, but Echobode is also a real Winner & just got Updated, too! :tu:

@Mushy
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

dionenoid wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:11 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:05 pm I couldn't scroll through the presets.
:shock:

Wow, well who knew that was possible. I stand corrected.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:11 pm Ok, but Echobode is also a real Winner & just got Updated, too! :tu:

@Mushy
Yep, Echobode would have to be my favourite all time effect. It gets used on every track without fail.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:13 pm

I hate when they do that btw, found it out the hard way as the arrow keys are used in my daw. :dog:
More BPM please

iLok only?

BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:24 pmiLok only?
you don't need the physical ilok. just the licenser authorization tool

the one who is reading the manual: p. 18

muki wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:33 pm

the one who is reading the manual: p. 18
Touché. It didn’t stand out enough to invest time in it (ie read the manual). If I like something I’ll learn it inside out, this was a bit meh.

Return to “Effects”