I think i have too much plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I have enough plugins for the most part. Now I'm working to collect hardware "alternatives"... to go with them, yeah that's it. :tu:

My problem is my OCD :(
Once I have a few plugins from a certain developer I have to collect them all. Waves, PA, Soundtoys, Softube, Slate, Papen, U-he, Arturia.... the list go on... and on... and on. Help!
Now it’s Harley Benton guitars :(

kelvyn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 amMy problem is my OCD :(
Once I have a few plugins from a certain developer I have to collect them all. Waves, PA, Soundtoys, Softube, Slate
Stop right there!
Do you know that Slate also makes very expensive multitouch controllers, hardware, and even desks? Oak Felder who produces Demi Lovato uses one, Slate says everyone needs one, and that includes you!! https://slatemt.com/raven-core-station/
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I am absolutely stunned that I have 4,000 :shock: After seeing the number I double checked but it's true. I guess this highlights the importance of a good VST management system like in Cubase because looking at that list I would have guess between 200 and 300.

However 4this would imply I've forgotten about 3,700 of them but thats not the case either :confused:

I wonder how many of these are part of the Waves bundle though. Hmmmm. If I've bought that many plugins I'll ban myself from this hobby for good.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Is it possible to export the contents of a folder to a TXT/XLS file? (Windows10)

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:19 am ...

wholesome post!
TheSynthScientist wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:39 am Some times I will buy a plugin as part of a bundle and not use it for a month or so, then finally use it and realize how useful it is and be glad I purchased it.
Maybe you should try using all the plugins you purchased, you might find them useful.
that happened with D16 Antresol and Decimort for me! Bought bundle for others :)

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 am
kelvyn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 amMy problem is my OCD :(
Once I have a few plugins from a certain developer I have to collect them all. Waves, PA, Soundtoys, Softube, Slate
Stop right there!
Do you know that Slate also makes very expensive multitouch controllers, hardware, and even desks? Oak Felder who produces Demi Lovato uses one, Slate says everyone needs one, and that includes you!! https://slatemt.com/raven-core-station/
Thank goodness... Safari wouldn’t open the link. Phew!!!
Funny thing about the Oak video was that he actually used his mouse more than the touch screen... interesting!

kelvyn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 am My problem is my OCD :(
Once I have a few plugins from a certain developer I have to collect them all. Waves, PA, Soundtoys, Softube, Slate, Papen, U-he, Arturia.... the list go on... and on... and on. Help!
Now it’s Harley Benton guitars :(
yeah i tend to do that as well. And for some that I had bad experience with i find alternatives elsewhere (in my case, PA)
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:08 pm I am absolutely stunned that I have 4,000 :shock: After seeing the number I double checked but it's true. I guess this highlights the importance of a good VST management system like in Cubase because looking at that list I would have guess between 200 and 300.

However 4this would imply I've forgotten about 3,700 of them but thats not the case either :confused:

I wonder how many of these are part of the Waves bundle though. Hmmmm. If I've bought that many plugins I'll ban myself from this hobby for good.
fwiw waves makes (s), (m-s) (s-s) and (m) for their every plugin.
so you likely have 1000

Ploki wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:08 pm fwiw waves makes (s), (m-s) (s-s) and (m) for their every plugin.
so you likely have 1000
Yes, good thinking. Still double what I would like though.

kelvyn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:57 pmFunny thing about the Oak video was that he actually used his mouse more than the touch screen... interesting!
He often used the mouse in his right hand to focus, and then shortcut keys left hand, with mostly Logic and Slate plugs. When time is money, too many plugs slooowwws you down!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Hi

I wonder what the largest amount of plugins someone has in their VST folder that is used/scanned by their DAW?

I have about 18k and usually turn my DAW on before I go to bed - that way it will have scanned the folder and be ready to use after 6-7 hours (roughly when I get up the following day). :x

original flipper wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:29 pm 18k
Wow, I think you may have actually caught them all :shock: Maybe you should consider a DAW that doesn't scan plugins on startup :hihi:
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pm
original flipper wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:29 pm 18k
Wow, I think you may have actually caught them all :shock: Maybe you should consider a DAW that doesn't scan plugins on startup :hihi:
Scanning plugins is the most useless action host programmes can do and most do it. I don't have the slightest idea why. Glad my main DAW is Bitwig.
They could simply keep the same database they fill while scanning, but only scan if you actually want to use a plugin the first time...

Ploki wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm
fese wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 pm you’re not “hoarding”, you are supporting a lot of nice and talented software developers who would otherwise have to take jobs in insurance companies if it wasn’t for people like you (and me and all of KVR)
To be honest, most of what i own is not from the big guys - sans iZotope and FabFilter I guess? Is FabFilter considered one of the big guys?
D16, u-he, Black Rooster, Voxengo, WavesFactory.
My Components folder counts 146 files, some of those are demos and some freebies. :)
I would consider no plugin company "big guys"... they're all rather small and medium businesses, the biggest of them probably with a couple hundred employees max (even Waves, despite what some forum people like to suggest, are not some "mega corp"). Thats nothing compared to the rest of the business world.

Right around ~1200 for me, although that's definitely skewed by certain things (like generating all of the included Cabbage plugins, that's probably a couple hundred right there, the CM Mag collection, the Plug n' Mix bundle is 50 on its own, etc.). Variety is good, I guess?

It's one of those things where if you just keep up on places like KVR, even if you're not spending a cent, you are still accumulating interesting free plugins at a reasonable rate, and if you buy some it just adds on top of that, and then you do an upgrade from one plugin to a bundle and it balloons from there... I don't think I even spend all that much each year, but for the most part the old plugins stick around and the new plugins add to them, and after many years of this there's a giant stack of plugins to deal with. Which is workable, so long as you don't try and update them all at once...

Weirdly enough, I kind of have the opposite view regarding FX, as I want to limit how many synths I'm working with so I can learn them more deeply, but when it comes to FX one of the things I do a lot is building insane FX chains with a lot of different plugins, so as long as the plugins each have enough difference to set them apart or provide a specific function/sound that I don't get (or get as easily) in other plugins, I tend to want to keep them around.

Return to “Effects”