Mixing Headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking into buying a pair of mixing headphones for myself as I'm looking to get into studio mixing (I work in live sound at the moment).
I've done some research, but what I don't get is a lot of people recommending closed-back headphones? Generally from what I understand, studio mixing in open-backs give you much better results, seeing that you're looking for a flat frequency response & an honest sound especially without in-your-face lows/bass.
Max is $150.
Heard some good things about the AKG MKII, K240...
Yes, I know you should use studio monitors, but it's not in the cards right now. There will be a lot of cross-referencing.
Also, I'm assuming maybe some recommendations might have higher ohms and therefore would need a DAC/amp of some sort; can audio interfaces work as such? Scarlett 2i2 in particular.

Get good amp for sure and at least get Behringer C50/C5A's as reference source, they are cheap, small and used by majority of mixing engineers last few decades, well, Auratone's, but it's on point replica and you don't have to use single one either.

About cans, in that budget maybe is worth looking into Sony MDR-7506, but you will get bunch of recommendations about other usual suspects, so I will throw these.

For the price.. try AKG K 612 Pro

I was just thinking on same,i use Samson 850(open) and Samson950(closed) around 30 euro price and specially 950 model is comparable to any 150 euro cans you can get as monitor,really flat sound,but they are not comfortable and i need replacement:)
Thinking of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X around 130eu.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_ath_m50_x.htm

I'd go with Audio Technica and buy Sonarworks Headphone.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I got the Audio Technica ATH-M40X last week and they're phenomenal. I got them to listen to music on the go (I already have the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro for making music) and for the price (89 euros) they are superb value.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

There is no better headphones under $200-300 than Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee. Use APO eq to reduce 5k peak couble db and give high shelf +2-3db around 2k to get some highs and sparkle and you are good to go. Fast, dynamic and punchy driver, sub bass is there. Driver is more punchy and faster than HD600/650 or 660. Amazing headphones for the value.

Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee sound very pleasing according to this test,also hd599 has a lot of positive reviews :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUbB23SzR2U

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:56 pm Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee sound very pleasing according to this test,also hd599 has a lot of positive reviews :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUbB23SzR2U
I actually just finished watching that guys in depth review video before you posted this. That guy was so pissed off, he sold it to me in one review alone :hihi:
Seriously though, seems like these might be it!

Oluv is doing much better reviews and especially sound demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNgbkPDujw

I myself run a Devine Pro headphone, not sure if these are available where you are from though. If I really want to get technical I grab my Shure SE425's IEMs, not really headphones, but they reflect the master 1:1 because of their technical flat curve. The most important thing to look for is a flat cure, with no boosted bass, mids or highs.

am i missing something? how does one do "sound demos" of the headphones without actually having them?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:45 am Sonarworks Headphone.
It doesn't work for me. It makes very crackly sound, and thereafter (after i uninstalled) i still have very crackly sound from internet but not Windows Media Player.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:45 am Sonarworks Headphone.
It doesn't work for me. It makes very crackly sound, and thereafter (after i uninstalled) i still have very crackly sound from internet but not Windows Media Player.
Sorry, i think it is the new Microsoft Edge which is causing the problem not Sonarworks Headphone.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”