Tinnitus related - please advice

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:06 pm yes. i also have tinnitus. it's probably ear wax in your case. it could also be pressure issues. best to get it checked out after COVID is over. i heard they can do this thing where they remove all the ear wax that has accumulated over your lifetime. its nasty what will come out i heard.

in my case, its a clicking or scratching sound. at first thought i was hearing mice in the house. :0)

FWIW.. my hearing got worse in last 10 years. I am not sure if this new clicking/scratching which started last year is a progression of all that or the new ear phones i use at the gym. as i am hitting middle age i am going to the gym much more than i ever did in my 20s and 30s -- so i am using hear phones much more than i ever did. the gym ear phones sort of go into your ear so it could also be they are causing weird pressure issues. who knows.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Please take care of your hearing. I am also going to be more careful going further. And yes, doctor's appointment at the earliest. Hope it is a minor thing.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:27 pm
dark water wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 pm Your temporary ear noises are undoubtedly to do with the bunged up ear (ear wax) that you are currently suffering with.

Nothing to worry about.
It is a temporary problem - and even less so when you don't focus or stress about it.
Dunno about that. I'd definitely visit a doctor ASAP though. For me, I've been living with tinnitus for most of my young adult and adult time now. Probably since more than 25 years. It doesn't go away, but, it changed a bit over the years.

Sometimes I also have a feeling like clogged ear, when I wake up. In my case, it's most likely a issue with perfusion (tinnitus is always a problem with perfusion AFAIK). If the doctor can't help, and the issue persist, you have to live with it, I'm afraid. I only notice my tinnitus when it's pretty clam. It can be more apparent under stress as well, as has been pointed out.

BTW, it seems to be a family thing as well. Most of my family members also have tinnitus. IMO, it's definitely a inheritance thing.
dark water wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm ^^ I take your point entirely and agree with the inheritance possibility.

But going on the OP's statement about likely clogged ear for last 3-4 days, it'd surely be a stretch to suddenly say it was sustained tinnitus rather than the effect of a cold or allergy etc passing through the body?

If, after a few weeks the noises persist but the ear wax / clogged ear issue is no longer present (and there are no other illness/ear issues), then I would suggest we could be looking at more sustained tinnitus as opposed to just a temporary effect on the ears due to ear clog.

Which isn't to diminish the effect of a cold upon tinnitus - indeed, I believe that my own tinnitus started after a heavy cold did something weird to my left ear and certainly tinnitus (long lasting) can be brought on by a wide variety of incidents.

Currently, I wouldn't worry about it being anything other than the temporary effects of a cold/clogged ear (particularly given the effects on our physical health of being indoors currently).

Even if it does turn out to be long-lasting tinnitus, then the OP should consider how best to reduce its impact in a healthy manner as well as the link between mental factors and our 'belief' that we're suffering from an ear / ear canal problem when a lot of it could just be in the brain instead (it then becomes a matter of mental retraining rather than a physical problem per se).
I just hope it is earwax and nothing serious. Because clogging isn't much of an issue right now, but the sound/noise is. Never felt the urge to go to a doctor like this before. lol

Not feeling from cold too, but it could be related to body metabolism or stress factor too. I don't know that really triggered it to this extent.

The doctor I consulted over phone told me to reduce/avoid salt/sodium level intake for few days. We always take salt in very nominal levels (less but never more), but will still try to reduce as per his advice and see.

^^ Believe me, as a person who first got tinnitus in 2004, I understand your fears about this novel sensation for you.

It sounds like you're following some good medical advice there already.
And it is certainly a good idea to have the ENT clinician check out your hearing issues at any rate when that becomes possible again.

But say it does turn out actually to be long-lasting tinnitus, rather than a temporary reaction to a buildup of ear wax over the past 3-4 days?

Then there are very achievable ways of quite happily and successfully reducing tinnitus so it is no longer a problem.

THE KEY POINT IS: when you are stressed or have a temporary cold/illness, OR PARTICULARLY IF YOU BELIEVE THAT IT IS A PHYSICAL PROBLEM THAT WON'T EVER GO AWAY, the tinnitus will much usually be worse.

Therefore, why increase a problem and particularly if a lot of it is in our minds anyway?

dark water wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:43 pm ^^ Believe me, as a person who first got tinnitus in 2004, I understand your fears about this novel sensation for you.

It sounds like you're following some good medical advice there already.
And it is certainly a good idea to have the ENT clinician check out your hearing issues at any rate when that becomes possible again.

But say it does turn out actually to be long-lasting tinnitus, rather than a temporary reaction to a buildup of ear wax over the past 3-4 days?

Then there are very achievable ways of quite happily and successfully reducing tinnitus so it is no longer a problem.

THE KEY POINT IS: when you are stressed or have a temporary cold/illness, OR PARTICULARLY IF YOU BELIEVE THAT IT IS A PHYSICAL PROBLEM THAT WON'T EVER GO AWAY, the tinnitus will much usually be worse.

Therefore, why increase a problem and particularly if a lot of it is in our minds anyway?
Thanks again for your calming advice, it really helps. The main reason is exactly that it is novel to me and is unsettling. I thought to post here because I know it's a very common thing in a lot of people, and certainly for those who are into music production. Hearing from people helps to gauge the problem, at least till the time doctor checks it.

I will remember your key points. I need to get it outside of my head to the extent that it does not ruin my day.

I will keep you guys updated with the progress.

Michael L wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 pm I find the Mayo Clinic website generally of high quality:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20350156
deleted

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:27 pm Hi guys,

I am facing this strange problem in my left ear for the first time ever (the right ear is fine). It's a light, whistling sound that is seemingly coming from the inside of left ear and it is continuous/static. It's not ringing, but it's a little high pitched. Similar to sound of distant crickets at night. I am able to hear everything properly, though I feel a sense of clogged ear in a sense that earwax has probably gone much deeper. This is just my assumption. I am in my early 30s. I have not listened to anything loud for last so many days, neither through my monitors or headphones. And in general, I always keep a check on volume while listening and also the duration. So, I am thinking something else might have triggered the tinnitus.

Due to this COIVD-19 situation I am not able to go outside and all the ENT clinics seem to be closed.

It's been there for last 3-4 days now, so I am a little worried. Although I observed that the sound has gone away almost completely for a few moments on 3-4 occasions during these last 3-4 days, but otherwise it's always there. Based on doctor's advice on phone, I am putting ear drops to help with the earwax since yesterday night, so two doses done.

Has anyone faced such a problem before? Is it alarming?
I have had this same issue on a couple of occasions. My GP has had surgical training and has a suction machine and a microscope suitable for guiding removal of wax buildup from the eardrum in his consulting room. Tinnitus in the affected ear was resolved straight away on each occasion. An ENT could handle this if you can access one.

egbert wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:27 pm Hi guys,

I am facing this strange problem in my left ear for the first time ever (the right ear is fine). It's a light, whistling sound that is seemingly coming from the inside of left ear and it is continuous/static. It's not ringing, but it's a little high pitched. Similar to sound of distant crickets at night. I am able to hear everything properly, though I feel a sense of clogged ear in a sense that earwax has probably gone much deeper. This is just my assumption. I am in my early 30s. I have not listened to anything loud for last so many days, neither through my monitors or headphones. And in general, I always keep a check on volume while listening and also the duration. So, I am thinking something else might have triggered the tinnitus.

Due to this COIVD-19 situation I am not able to go outside and all the ENT clinics seem to be closed.

It's been there for last 3-4 days now, so I am a little worried. Although I observed that the sound has gone away almost completely for a few moments on 3-4 occasions during these last 3-4 days, but otherwise it's always there. Based on doctor's advice on phone, I am putting ear drops to help with the earwax since yesterday night, so two doses done.

Has anyone faced such a problem before? Is it alarming?
I have had this same issue on a couple of occasions. My GP has had surgical training and has a suction machine and a microscope suitable for guiding removal of wax buildup from the eardrum in his consulting room. Tinnitus in the affected ear was resolved straight away on each occasion. An ENT could handle this if you can access one.
That's really great to know. Thanks a lot. I definitely need to go to ENT, but do you think I should stop worrying about it to the point it ruins my day? It has already ruined my two days!

Because as I mentioned in one post, I had to go to ENT last year July where the earwax was on the ear drum and had to be removed via suction machine. However, last time it was an obstruction issue and not tinnitus. I just hope I can get rid of that earwax soon. :pray:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm do you think I should stop worrying about it to the point it ruins my day?
No, keep worrying about it. It will keep your mind off coronavirus! :lol:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I can only speak for myself, but, as my tinnitus is permanent, as are the floating particles I see in my field of view, the only way to cope with it is to stop worrying about it. If you can't do anything about, you have to live with it. Not nice, but, there's always something which could be worse.

Anyway, in this case, you should really see your ENT first, of course, to know if there's something you can do about it.

Nothing much to add that other's haven't already said :) I've had moderate tinnitus since November 2017, definitely noise induced. It went up a notch after a night of DJing in less than ideal conditions and neglecting to wear my earplugs. I have a few tones in both ears - the loudest being a high pitched whistle in my left ear which I can hear pretty much all the time. It used to really upset me but thankfully these days I've basically tuned it out / habituated to it. That said, I do usually sleep with a pair of "bedphones" - a fabric headband with small speaker drivers in - playing some speech / podcasts on a low volume to distract me. Probably more out of habit these days than anything.

Hoping that your situation is just a case of earwax. Temporary tinnitus from earwax build up is not uncommon. I know mine certainly gets worse and I notice new tones when my ears are clogged and also when I have cold / flu symptoms. Also excess caffeine, stress and dehydration. I've had some scary moments when waking up with a hangover :)

Advice would be keep your mind occupied on other things for now if you can :)

Take care!

I've had tinnitus recently and found getting acupuncture really helpful. The doctor said it might have disappeared anyways but if you know someone who is skilld in that field I'd give it a try since it doesn't have any side effects. Listening to Ambient/Drone music on a moderate loudness level also helped me in the first two days.

Michael L wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm do you think I should stop worrying about it to the point it ruins my day?
No, keep worrying about it. It will keep your mind off coronavirus! :lol:
Lol, I don't watch/read news, so it is already off coronavirus. :hihi:

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:17 am I can only speak for myself, but, as my tinnitus is permanent, as are the floating particles I see in my field of view, the only way to cope with it is to stop worrying about it. If you can't do anything about, you have to live with it. Not nice, but, there's always something which could be worse.

Anyway, in this case, you should really see your ENT first, of course, to know if there's something you can do about it.
Yeah, I understand. I talked to the ENT today and explained the situation. Unfortunately, can't go for the treatment as the clinic is closed and only emergencies are allowed. However, she said it's mostly like that earwax has gotten too deep and nothing to worry about, as everything else looks fine. I hope she is correct. What a horrible situation to be in - can't even go to a doctor!

andymcbain wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 am Nothing much to add that other's haven't already said :) I've had moderate tinnitus since November 2017, definitely noise induced. It went up a notch after a night of DJing in less than ideal conditions and neglecting to wear my earplugs. I have a few tones in both ears - the loudest being a high pitched whistle in my left ear which I can hear pretty much all the time. It used to really upset me but thankfully these days I've basically tuned it out / habituated to it. That said, I do usually sleep with a pair of "bedphones" - a fabric headband with small speaker drivers in - playing some speech / podcasts on a low volume to distract me. Probably more out of habit these days than anything.

Hoping that your situation is just a case of earwax. Temporary tinnitus from earwax build up is not uncommon. I know mine certainly gets worse and I notice new tones when my ears are clogged and also when I have cold / flu symptoms. Also excess caffeine, stress and dehydration. I've had some scary moments when waking up with a hangover :)

Advice would be keep your mind occupied on other things for now if you can :)

Take care!
Appreciate your time to write about your experience. This thing really sucks, but at least I felt relieved to know that it is not only me who has this problem.

Thanks for your kind words, and I hope you get rid of your tinnitus somehow. :)

EqualizerB wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:38 am I've had tinnitus recently and found getting acupuncture really helpful. The doctor said it might have disappeared anyways but if you know someone who is skilld in that field I'd give it a try since it doesn't have any side effects. Listening to Ambient/Drone music on a moderate loudness level also helped me in the first two days.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”