Reaper V6.... oh boy !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 pm Performance in S1 is not even close to REAPER, where did you get that? From one of those useless plugin count tests?
In fact and at least on Windows the performance of S1 is very very close to Reaper...

Reaper got a little bit of "headroom" before the system maxes out because of the prerendering of it´s anticipative FX and therefor it maxes out every single core a little bit better but these are only noticeable in very extrem situations...

Perhaps this is a little bit more noticeable with very little buffer settings which are BS in my opinion when it comes to performance but Reaper being far ahead over all others is longtime history and by far not true anymore...

On Macs I cannot tell but this is a different story anyway...
Not my experience at all (Windows 10).

S1 craps out much sooner, especially with heavy Kontakt libraries. It’s like the CPU core being used by the track is maxed out quicker.

In REAPER the spread among the cores seems to more balanced. I can open several more instances of big libraries, intensive effects, etc. It opens projects MUCH quicker too.
And, the more your project grows the more you notice the difference.

S1 is not bad at all but REAPER, Cakewalk and Samplitude at all more efficient and snappier on my system. Ymmv off course.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm
hivkorn wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm
hivkorn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm yep guy , i officialy switched to Reaper , now it will take time to set my preference but now i will make music more then maintenance !
Please treat yourself by downloading this ;) 
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8075/ZD-Ultimate.reascale
what is this stuff ?
Crapload of scales. Just pick for example G (and maybe some Hindu scale) and you'll never miss a note ;)
Thanks for that, looks like it includes every scale you will ever need!

thx for that ! :D

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm Not my experience at all (Windows 10).

S1 craps out much sooner, especially with heavy Kontakt libraries. It’s like the CPU core being used by the track is maxed out quicker.

In REAPER the spread among the cores seems to more balanced. I can open several more instances of big libraries, intensive effects, etc. It opens projects MUCH quicker too.

S1 is not bad at all but REAPER, Cakewalk and Samplitude at all more efficient and snappier on my system. Ymmv off course.
At least you are the first person mentioning Cakewalk being very performant...

I don´t use bigger Kontakt libraries but in terms of CPU usage with normal synths like Serum and FX the performance differences between Reaper and S1 are about the last 5% more or less...

I.e. if Reaper is able to handle 25 Serum instances S1 handles about 23-24 instances... etc...pp...
I never max my system out like this and would have bounced out a lot before so S1 never gives me any trouble in this regard...

Trancit wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm Not my experience at all (Windows 10).

At least you are the first person mentioning Cakewalk being very performant...

I don´t use bigger Kontakt libraries but in terms of CPU usage with normal synths like Serum and FX the performance differences between Reaper and S1 are about the last 5% more or less...

I.e. if Reaper is able to handle 25 Serum instances S1 handles about 23-24 instances... etc...pp...
I never max my system out like this and would have bounced out a lot before so S1 never gives me any trouble in this regard...
I was actually quite surprised with Cakewalk’s performance when I tried it last week. It has some settings to spread a VSTi load between the different cores. It actually opens projects faster than REAPER and seems completely stable on my modest system. Automation and CC editing are very primitive though.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm I was actually quite surprised with Cakewalk’s performance when I tried it last week. It has some settings to spread a VSTi load between the different cores. It actually opens projects faster than REAPER and seems completely stable on my modest system. Automation and CC editing are very primitive though.
Bandlab seems to do a lot of good things for this DAW...
I never was a Cakewalk guy so I am not very interested in but many people seem to experience great improvements on the software... :tu:

Trancit wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:22 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm I was actually quite surprised with Cakewalk’s performance when I tried it last week. It has some settings to spread a VSTi load between the different cores. It actually opens projects faster than REAPER and seems completely stable on my modest system. Automation and CC editing are very primitive though.
Bandlab seems to do a lot of good things for this DAW...
I never was a Cakewalk guy so I am not very interested in but many people seem to experience great improvements on the software... :tu:
It seems that the developers team is now in the driver´s seat, instead of bean counters or marketing guys. They are doing an excellent job.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:45 pm
And performance/stability is top notch. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the occasional stuck notes.
so, this afternoon, during my "use and learn reaper" time slot, I had that problem.

previously, i think i misunderstood what you meant by "stuck notes".

to me, stuck notes meant that when pressing the play button on the transport bar, reaper would stop for a second at some point in the song and then continue.

but i guess i now know what you meant and it happened to me too today with the dexed synth and a few other synths.

here's two people conversing about it (copy-pasted from reaper forum):

1. "I've been dealing with stuck notes in certain synths in reaper for a while now, usually caused by skipping the play head during playback. F3 wouldn't even kill the notes. I've seen many people with similar issues so I wanted to share what fixed it for me:

In preferences>plug-ins>vst, I had to uncheck the box for Don't flush synthesizer plug-ins on stop/reset."

2. "I keep having the issue in the same situation, even with that box unchecked. Are you sure that was it? Any other things that could cause it?

It mostly happens with Specific plugins including Massive X, but others too."

so, i look at preferences but that box was already unchecked. i press the play button again and the problem is not there anymore with the dexed synth at least.

i didn't change anything. wtf? i guess it comes and goes. maybe it's my computer itself multitasking in the background and interferring and intermittently causing the stuck notes.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Stuck notes are just a "Reaper thing" IMO. A blemish on an otherwise terrific DAW that I hope they eventually suss out once and for all. That said, there's an action called something like "Send Note Offs to All Instruments and MIDI Devices" that you can keybind for when it happens.

I have major problems with stuck notes, the worst being Kontakt. It seems the only way around it is to close the project and reopen it.
It happens every time I use Kontakt without fail.

Had this been a long term problem in Reaper?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 pm Stuck notes are just a "Reaper thing" IMO. A blemish on an otherwise terrific DAW that I hope they eventually suss out once and for all. That said, there's an action called something like "Send Note Offs to All Instruments and MIDI Devices" that you can keybind for when it happens.
Where is this action?

simmo75 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:35 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 pm Stuck notes are just a "Reaper thing" IMO. A blemish on an otherwise terrific DAW that I hope they eventually suss out once and for all. That said, there's an action called something like "Send Note Offs to All Instruments and MIDI Devices" that you can keybind for when it happens.
Where is this action?
In the action list. :wink:

In all seriousness, sounds like you're pretty new to Reaper. Like most DAWs bury functions in menus, Reaper has a giant action list that lets you do a million and one things. Any action can be bound to a keyboard shortcut, and actions can be strung together to be turned into Custom Actions (aka "macros"). Actions you use regularly you should assign to keyboard shortcuts, or put in a custom toolbar. To bring up the action list, I think the default shortcut is the question mark key or go to Actions -> Action List. Once there search for something like "Note Off" and you should find the action I was talking about.

Thanks so much for this, you’re a star!
I am pretty new to Reaper and keep learning more about its capabilities all the time. I love how light it is on resources.

simmo75 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:34 pm I have major problems with stuck notes, the worst being Kontakt. It seems the only way around it is to close the project and reopen it.
It happens every time I use Kontakt without fail.

Had this been a long term problem in Reaper?
I was having this problem and solved it by checking the box in preferences in the "Playback" section - "Reset MIDI CC/Pitch on playback stop". I have no idea why this wasn't checked by default to be honest. The reason I had to check it was because I had synth VST's where the sustain never released when I stopped playback.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”