am i the only one who dreads installing plug ins?!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 80% of the time, it never goes smoothly. Either it won't show up in my plug in manager, or it won't show up in my DAW, or even during the install, it isn't zipped up and is just all over the place, and if it has anything to do with ilok it's just extra steps. I don't think i'm the smartest guy when it comes to this stuff either though, so i know that's a factor, but i find myself having to google "______ not showing up in DAW" for most specific plug ins i download. If it's not the FX or instruments, then it's the presets that won't show up and i either spend hours trying or just give up (especially if it's free). by the time i've finally downloaded it, i don't even have the energy to sit around and experiment with the stuff :x :x

i'm so thankful for when i'm able to just open up a folder straight from a VST that shows the exact location i can just copy and paste it in to alleviate the process. Can't do that with every plug in though.

Never had a problem. I use Mac though.

You're not the only one - it's a trial and error process. For example my Windows crashed awhile back and rolled back to a restore point using 'Automatic Repair'. This messed up some activations on my C: drive.

So now I custom install to D: wherever possible.

The other day I downloaded an update for free Focusrite/Sonible 'Balancer' plugin and it crashed my FL Studio plugin manager when running a scan - I then lost my entire list of plugins and had to run a fresh scan from scratch.

Then there's the venerable Waves plugins...

Etc etc, it feels like you roll the dice each time you install something new - you never know what or where problems may arise. In an ideal world I would only install plugins tested and proven to be stable with my system...

Rickskii wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am Never had a problem. I use Mac though.
No problems here either. I use Windows. ;)

No problems here - Win10, Cubase Pro 10.5, (and v6.5 and 9.5), Waves v9 and v10, EastWest sub, some NI Kontakt libraries, dozens of Plugin Alliance thingies, &tc, &tc. Only issue I've had is that the last Cubase update broke Amplesound vst3 instruments (and Amplesound are aware and working on a fix).

Rickskii wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am Never had a problem. I use Mac though.
Ditto, I use Windows though.
Say NO to CLAP!

Not really...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

It's the best part

No issues here. Do you use some obscure DAW?

I always set a Windows restore point before installing any software.
Well sometimes I forget or to busy to to do so.
I also have Revo Installer installed just in case I need to uninstall.

I have gotten better through the years when installing software.
I am always a bit concerned if it will go well.
Should I first check the files with VirusTotal?
What do I do if there are a few threats.
False positives?
Write the developer or install anyway?
Time consuming if doing research if you have a concerns about a particular install.
I want do it right to avoid any issues.
Most time all goes well but the few times it does not.

I have a All Manuals folder in the C drive that has the manuals and such from each software.
Sometimes I forget and other times cannot locate the manual online.

My main issue I have is when I update software.
Do I un-install the current version before installing the new one?
Are there special instructions to update?
Some developers inform you by putting a note on the installer to tell you what to do.

My favorite update is when I see "check here for update".
"Yes there is an update available"
"click here to install the update"
"Done"
Love that! :love:

But then I see that many of the experts have no issues with instilling software.
I have seen experts install software and handles issues very swiftly.
Gee, I wish I could be more like them. :tu:

Never had a problem. Never install plugins in their default location (except VST3). I have a special folder in the root drive. Eg. c:\VST Plugins and then x32 and x64 directories under that with separate folder for instruments and FX. After the last reinstall, of course, my x32 folder is empty as I finally went 100% x64bit.
So my folder structure is:
c:\VST Plugins\
\x32
\Instruments
\VST fx
\x64
\Instruments
\VST fx
Every plugin goes into its own sub folder. Sample content goes to other SSD drive, again meticulously sorted under its own directory structure. After the initial installation updating is easy as most plugins can remember where the previous version was. Keeping your plugin folder outside the %programfiles% also makes sure that there's never any kind of access permission issues and need to run your DAW as admin.

I think I've had this system over a decade, maybe even longer, and never had a much problems with installing and updating plugins. If anything, the problems have been related to plugin installer not allowing to set install paths, select VST versions and such. In that case there's some manual work needed. That's why I hate most of the software centers like NI Access with a passion.
No signature here!

Never a problem installing but i’ve has a few hassles with plugs not showing in Ableton unless i jump through a few hoops. As an example it took me a bit of trouble getting Ableton v9 to recognize Omnisphere v2. Windows 7
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

StarSMASH wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:25 amMaybe it's just me
Yes, you are the only one who has plugin antibodies.
If we had your blood, we could make a vaccine.
Then we would all be protected from GAS.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Not really. 95% of installers ask for path for VST2 and I keep them all in one folder, with subfolders for developers. Some allow you to choose a path for VST3, which makes it easy; if not, they're always in C:/program files/common/vst3 so I move the files by hand. The only cringe is with Waves stuff, that scatters their files all over the place and keeps individual plugins in 'shells' - but one ends up knowing how to handle those soon enough. Many developers also have their dedicated hubs, which makes stuff easier (Arturia, NI, UVI, KiloHearts, iZotope, etc.)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

No big issues here... the most times a plugin didn't show up in the DAW after installation was in Cubase for me. Cubase seems to have quite strict checks. With Studio One, I never had such issues.

Return to “Effects”