Cadences for minor chord

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
msf sadib
KVRist
88 posts since 4 Apr, 2018

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm

First of all I'm starting to get better at creating chords and naming them comparing to my previous encounters.Thanks to all the genious & warm hearted people on this forum.Without you I wouldn't have come this far!

Now my question: I see most cadences are built around major chords.e.g:plagal,complete.I was told that minor chords have weak resolution so these cadences won't give proper result.So I was wondering if there is any separate cadences built just for minor chords or any other ways to make those major cadence work perfectly for minor chords as well

xtp
KVRian
943 posts since 4 Jun, 2006

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 am

Hi, wiki has a fairly comprehensive document including sound file examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence

I found it an interesting read and listen, and identified a few cadence types I seem to employ while playing, without realising I did so.

msf sadib
KVRist
88 posts since 4 Apr, 2018

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 am

xtp wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 am
Hi, wiki has a fairly comprehensive document including sound file examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence

I found it an interesting read and listen, and identified a few cadence types I seem to employ while playing, without realising I did so.
I don't seem to find any cadence related to minor chords.Can you share what your interesting read were?

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:40 am

msf sadib wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm
I see most cadences are built around major chords.
Do you mean built around pieces of music in a Major key? It’s not that common that pieces consist entirely of Major chords.

Major and minor keys will have methods to resolve a chord sequence in harmonic music, and there is both overlap and a few differences.

msf sadib
KVRist
88 posts since 4 Apr, 2018

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:40 am
msf sadib wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm
I see most cadences are built around major chords.
Do you mean built around pieces of music in a Major key? It’s not that common that pieces consist entirely of Major chords.

Major and minor keys will have methods to resolve a chord sequence in harmonic music, and there is both overlap and a few differences.
I mean in case of both major & minor keys.They both have major & minor chords.but as most cadences(e.g plagal,perfect,imperfect) I've seen so far are written for major chord resolution.i wanted to know if there was cadences built for minor chord resolution.I hope I've made that clear

xtp
KVRian
943 posts since 4 Jun, 2006

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:23 am

msf sadib wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 am
xtp wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 am
Hi, wiki has a fairly comprehensive document including sound file examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence

I found it an interesting read and listen, and identified a few cadence types I seem to employ while playing, without realising I did so.
I don't seem to find any cadence related to minor chords.Can you share what your interesting read were?
Hi, I was hearing the Phrygian half cadence and the Lydian cadence as minor.
Last edited by xtp on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:13 am

msf sadib wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 pm
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:40 am
msf sadib wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm
I see most cadences are built around major chords.
Do you mean built around pieces of music in a Major key? It’s not that common that pieces consist entirely of Major chords.

Major and minor keys will have methods to resolve a chord sequence in harmonic music, and there is both overlap and a few differences.
I mean in case of both major & minor keys.They both have major & minor chords.but as most cadences(e.g plagal,perfect,imperfect) I've seen so far are written for major chord resolution.i wanted to know if there was cadences built for minor chord resolution.I hope I've made that clear
Minor keys should resolve to the i (in most cases).

msf sadib
KVRist
88 posts since 4 Apr, 2018

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:13 am
msf sadib wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 pm
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:40 am
msf sadib wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm
I see most cadences are built around major chords.
Do you mean built around pieces of music in a Major key? It’s not that common that pieces consist entirely of Major chords.

Major and minor keys will have methods to resolve a chord sequence in harmonic music, and there is both overlap and a few differences.
I mean in case of both major & minor keys.They both have major & minor chords.but as most cadences(e.g plagal,perfect,imperfect) I've seen so far are written for major chord resolution.i wanted to know if there was cadences built for minor chord resolution.I hope I've made that clear
Minor keys should resolve to the i (in most cases).
From the same dominant chords? Or from other chord?

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 am

Yes, unless you are using natural minor, it will be the same dominant chord as the parallel Major.

msf sadib
KVRist
88 posts since 4 Apr, 2018

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 am

Forgotten wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 am
Yes, unless you are using natural minor, it will be the same dominant chord as the parallel Major.
What's with natural minor? care to explain?

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 am

The 7th of the natural minor is a semitone flatter than the harmonic minor, so the diatonic 5th becomes v rather than V.

For example, in Cm the V is G-B-D, but the natural minor will flatten the B to Bb, which is Gm.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
19667 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:49 pm

You’re hung up on the term cadences, which takes the name of a thing in place of the thing itself finally. A cadence is a cadence and it ends with I, i, or a substitute. Or half cadence on V. You wouldn’t find talk about a minor cadence as the term is not particularly useful.

What you need to do is locate the ideas in practice.

V-I vs V-i. Deceptive cadence in major is V-vi typically, in minor V-VI.

Classically v-i doesn’t constitute a harmonic cadence; natural minor is weaker functionally owing to no dominant. IE: v vs V. V has the leading tone to i same as to I, 7-8.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu May 28, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
I may be locatable @:
FB: Public

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
19667 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Minor keys should resolve to the i (in most cases).
From the same dominant chords? Or from other chord?
From the same dominant type, built on 5 as the major triad, usually as a 7th chord.
I may be locatable @:
FB: Public

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
19667 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Cadences for minor chord

Post Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am

A piece of music set in minor key finally ending on the major I uses a fairly old move known as the Picardie Third. Probably significantly less prevalent overall.

I was told that minor chords have weak resolution so...
minor v is probably what was meant.
I may be locatable @:
FB: Public

Return to “Music Theory”