Ableton live session view?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen many people say that their production process includes using the session view inside of ableton live. When I produce, I always use the arrangement view almost exclusively (even coming up with ideas) and also most of them on YouTube do the same, it just doesn't make sense to me other than while performing live. Can those who use this session view pls tell me how they integrate it in their production process, so I can try doing something. Or am I better off with another daw if I'm only using the timeline/arrangement view

The session view is a wonderful tool. I love to perform parts as I'm feeling them and record the performance into the arrangement. Then I edit and detail in the arrangement view. A bit like shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aIOxEcxT7I&t=252s

I like session view for writing. It lets me mix and match ideas and variations almost infinitely faster than I could in arrangement view alone.
Once I've got my basic ideas sorted, I drag clips and scenes straight onto the arrangement on my second monitor and get to work, still with the option to quickly drop in new parts or variations via session mode. that seamless integration between the two modes is awesome.

I constantly move between Session and Arrangement.
Some tracks can play from Arrangement while others play from Session.

With that feature i can loop section in Arrangement and record endless performance on midi keyboard into session. Then take it to Arrangement and edit best parts of it.

Or try different combination of clips. Play melody with one percussion, with another, with countermelody etc, without kick etc. Sure, possible in Arrangement - but requires user to prepare such different combinations of track. In Session - simple choose what to play and what stop to play.

And other example of usage: store in Session ideas that did not go well, but i want to save them for later and may be re-think in future. To treat Session as a container of garbage clips.

This is probably very personal, but the drawback of working in arrangement - for me, at least - is that things can very quickly get "set in stone" because my projects are usually so complex that I can't be arsed anymore to change the order or switch elements around. Working in Session (or Clip Launcher in Bitwig or Blocks mode in Reason) allows me to not commit to fixed arrangement for a long time and I can try out different order or pairing of elements very easily. I'm yet to sketch out a whole track in Session view (it's hard to get transitions right), but I'm able to at least get 1/2 or 2/3 there, because inevitably I'll get tempted to move things to arrangement precisely because Session doesn't feel as "real" or "finished".

So I guess both have their pros & cons. If you're someone who can get their ideas down quickly and have the overall shape of the track in their head, then Session might indeed seem like a hinderance. If on the other hand you're looking for inspiration or happy accidents, Session might help greatly.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

+1 on what everyone said so far, I work the same way in Bitwig too, it took some time tho coming from Logic/Cubase to adapt to it, but once I "unlearned" them and got into new mindset, all fall into place, wouldn't want to work any other way, I'm much more productive and creative, finish projects faster too, it's joy working like that.

While I still use Cubase a lot for finalizing, I loved the way Ableton works with arrangement and session views. It's not that strange for me to work that way, because in the past I used the combination of Cubase and Project 5 (v2.5).

When Project 5 got discontinued I was looking for an replacement, and settled for Ableton Live. The only thing I did not liked about Ableton, was that the session view and arrangement view where separate screens. I was spoiled by Project 5 to be able to use all that stuff in one single screen.

That's the reason why I finally sold my Live licence and jumped to Bitwig a while ago. Don't get me wrong - I don't say Ableton Live is not good or something, but as a old Project 5 user the temptation to work in both views at the same time, like in "old day's" again, was simply too big.

Anyway - Both Ableton Live and Bitwig are in my humble opinion great tools to let your creativity go wild (in a good way of course). And, if it was not obvious by now, I like to use Session view and arrangement view at the same time. They have about equal value for me.

jclosed wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:26 amThe only thing I did not liked about Ableton, was that the session view and arrangement view where separate screens. I was spoiled by Project 5 to be able to use all that stuff in one single screen.
Actually if you enable dual screen option in Live you can put the windows side by side even on single screen and it's a good way to work. The only drawback is you can't rotate the Session 90° like you can in Bitwig to align with Arrangement, but that's a minor thing.

https://youtu.be/bsMMhegTKH0
Music tech enthusiast

The session view is the sole reason I use Ableton. It enables me to combine composition and improvisation in a very streamlined and effective way. I can faff around with creative ideas without having to commit to a final structure. I get things done extremely quickly.

I work with Bitwig but idea is the same. I do bunch of ideas in clip view, then make something whole at the arrangement view.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am I work with Bitwig but idea is the same. I do bunch of ideas in clip view, then make something whole at the arrangement view.
Do you copy/paste clips & scenes manually, or do a "performance" that you record?

I always plan to do the latter, but end up with the former. I guess I don't feel confident enough :D
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am I work with Bitwig but idea is the same. I do bunch of ideas in clip view, then make something whole at the arrangement view.
Do you copy/paste clips & scenes manually, or do a "performance" that you record?

I always plan to do the latter, but end up with the former. I guess I don't feel confident enough :D
Usually drag n drop the clips/scenes I want to use. Mostly because theres so much automation etc, that it's just impossible to control 10 devices and a bunch of tracks at the same time.

Then I also spend a lot of time scratching my balls and procrastinating.

Session view its what separate Ableton from the rest of the daws (at least a couple of years ago).

It took years for me to start working in session view, but it just started making sense. I use it to create loops, different combinations, and most important, perform the song to create a basic arrangement.
I stop being stuck in loops once I started working this way.

ariston wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am The session view is the sole reason I use Ableton. It enables me to combine composition and improvisation in a very streamlined and effective way. I can faff around with creative ideas without having to commit to a final structure. I get things done extremely quickly.
This for me is the beauty of Session.

Caveat: I don't finish stuff 'til I move to Arrange and tend to spend too much time underachieving in Session, so I'm aware of the danger.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”