Exponential Audio Excalibur

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 am
c_voltage wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:21 pm I already multi FX from UA
Even with just this, i think you will not miss anything.
The only minor advantages of Excalibur i guess, it's near to zero cpu usage, and impressive automatable list, which really huge.
In rest, i believe that if has all of UA fx's, they can give a much more.
I have all UA and still amd happy with Excalibur at $10 - for example the resonator sounds different to BYOME.
Indeed, same here. 8)

Those saying this plugin isn't worth $10 obviously spent no more than 5 minutes with it, shrugged and decided they're not interested. If one actially invests some time learning it, Excalibur is a quality plugin capable of some fantastic effects.

dayjob wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:28 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:24 pmiLok only?
you don't need the physical ilok. just the licenser authorization tool
Which is still the same software I avoid at all cost.
Last edited by BBFG# on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

:hihi:

I personally like it a lot. And what I say or do doesn't mean sh

:lol:

I DON'T WANT GUITAR LESSONS!!!!!!

ORANGE IS NOT MY FAVOURITE COLOUR!!!!!

Russell Grand wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 am Those saying this plugin isn't worth $10 obviously spent no more than 5 minutes with it, shrugged and decided they're not interested. If one actially invests some time learning it, Excalibur is a quality plugin capable of some fantastic effects.
This is my main point though really and it's not specific to Excalibur. We are so spoilt for choice lately that any new plugin has to impress right from the very start. Otherwise why would I waste time learning something that may sound good when I can just fire up any one of a dozen alternatives that I know for a fact do.

One day when I have downtime I'll visit my folder of unused plugins and have a pointless play. Excalibur will no doubt have its time to shine then.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:21 am
Russell Grand wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 am Those saying this plugin isn't worth $10 obviously spent no more than 5 minutes with it, shrugged and decided they're not interested. If one actially invests some time learning it, Excalibur is a quality plugin capable of some fantastic effects.
This is my main point though really and it's not specific to Excalibur. We are so spoilt for choice lately that any new plugin has to impress right from the very start. Otherwise why would I waste time learning something that may sound good when I can just fire up any one of a dozen alternatives that I know for a fact do.

One day when I have downtime I'll visit my folder of unused plugins and have a pointless play. Excalibur will no doubt have its time to shine then.
yes that is quite right. they must impress. but i, gladly, look what a plugin can do for me, if it is an extension. with excalibur, i don't know yet. this time a did it differently.... but this kind plugins i dig... so a tenner it was worth it. and yes impressive plugins are more tempting... the approach i now have, can be done, because i have a lot of plugins, in "all" categories. if see something in sale, i look if i can mimic it. like physion. can be mimiced (??) with melda stuf, and i own several meldaplugins, the nice ones... and in a way that suits me better. doens't mean physion is bad, or this or that. a new or old plugin lets me look what i have and can do. tonal/transient seperation with melda, didn't do that, until the sale for physion.. it is very usefull! so... different roads... i like that everyone has it's own approach.. because only in that case you can really learn.
i don't have a 1000 plugins, don't know how many, and in the end all plugins are used, that i have. it's like a studio, sometimes that dusty compressor in the cornes does the trick, that others don't do.

EDIT: i postponed buying excalibur, because i have also byome, triad, 20 melda plugins (also the free bundle, payed for) and MXXXCore. and other modular aproaches, voltage modalur with psp, for example, or reaktor. but i was too interested, and every plugin can give, or every..., many plugins can give new ideas.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:29 am yes that is quite right. they must impress. but i, gladly, look what a plugin can do for me, if it is an extension. with excalibur, i don't know yet. this time a did it differently.... but this kind plugins i dig... so a tenner it was worth it. and yes impressive plugins are more tempting... the approach i now have, can be done, because i have a lot of plugins, in "all" categories. if see something in sale, i look if i can mimic it. like physion. can be mimiced (??) with melda stuf, and i own several meldaplugins, the nice ones... and in a way that suits me better. doens't mean physion is bad, or this or that. a new or old plugin lets me look what i have and can do. tonal/transient seperation with melda, didn't do that, until the sale for physion.. it is very usefull! so... different roads... i like that everyone has it's own approach.. because only in that case you can really learn.
i don't have a 1000 plugins, don't know how many, and in the end all plugins are used, that i have. it's like a studio, sometimes that dusty compressor in the cornes does the trick, that others don't do.
That was my logic also. For a tenner it was a no brainer and thought for that price I'm happy to have it sitting collecting dust for a few weeks until I'm ready to use it properly.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

80% of my plugins are unused 80% of the time...its no big deal, they dont eat any bread and I like having them :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Nice to know that I'm not the only one!

lol

Well, I shall keep saying it's all a mere mater of taste.

Otherwise I would have to say that whoever spent more than five minutes with it and still thinks it is any good needs a lot to learn. :hihi:

But in all seriousness personally I just don't like the algorithms - the chorus, the phaser, the flanger, yadda yadda - they all don't sound very good to me.

And I don't think I ever saw anyone recommend Excalibur when the question arose "what's the best" chorus, phaser, flanger? How come nobody ever recommends Excalibur, even those that do claim they like it and use it? Sure, in a way it may indeed be more than the sum of its parts but then again, personally I certainly prefer to start with individual algorithms that really do what I want them to do, instead of adding more and more additional processes in an attempt to hide that they don't.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:52 am 80% of my plugins are unused 80% of the time...its no big deal, they dont eat any bread and I like having them :-)
I find that to be a problem, imho. Plugin bloat always leads to issues along the way with opening older projects. Also it leads to huge waste of time, when you play with and try to combine all those plugins. Less is definitely more in this case.
No signature here!

Return to “Effects”