I think i have too much plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My name is kovacs and I have too many plugins.

But not too many guitars. Nope. I need just one more.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Hello kovacs! :clap:

Don't be shy. When did you buy your first plugin? Tell us. We aren't pushing you, take your time if you need it.

ztrauq wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 am Right around ~1200 for me, although that's definitely skewed by certain things (like generating all of
Weirdly enough, I kind of have the opposite view regarding FX, as I want to limit how many synths I'm working with so I can learn them more deeply, but when it comes to FX one of the things I do a lot is building insane FX chains with a lot of different plugins, so as long as the plugins each have enough difference to set them apart or provide a specific function/sound that I don't get (or get as easily) in other plugins, I tend to want to keep them around.
i mean it's not the opposite view really, since i have 10x more FX than i do synths :)

Dombaeb wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:16 pm Hello kovacs! :clap:

Don't be shy. When did you buy your first plugin? Tell us. We aren't pushing you, take your time if you need it.
Why thanks! it was in 2002 and the plugin was Native Instruments' "Kompakt" which was a, well, compact version of Kontakt. I didn't realize what a slippery slope it was, and the route was short to full Komplete packages. And of course all the other brands, and it went downhill from there. :lol:
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Is it possible to do a good recording and mix with no additional plugins then what come with your DAW?

Yes

Is it possible to do a better one with additional plugins?

Yes

I'm calling the plugin police... now.

I thought I was bad with 1500-2000-ish plugins, tbh I'm surprised that so many have such large collections. Heh, just for fun you should all try to legitimately estimate the cost of your collections, you might be surprised at the amount of money that's been spent. I can claim somewhere around $40 k in plugins alone. As I have said before, my expensive hardware systems pale in comparison for real.

kovacs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 am My name is kovacs and I have too many plugins.
Me too, sometimes I can resist buying plugins...
Not just once I almost bought a plugin I forgot that I have already, I always have to double check...; - )
kovacs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 am But not too many guitars. Nope. I need just one more.
But not too many Tibetan Bowls. I need just one more...
Collecting physical objects is simply more fun... They are also unique...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:32 am But not too many Tibetan Bowls. I need just one more...
Collecting physical objects is simply more fun... They are also unique...
And no fishy activation procedures... :D

Got the same problem with bundles. If I need one or two plugins from developer, I end up buying whole bundle because the bundle with 20 plugins cost the same as 4 plugins bought separately.

Oh wow, so my 193 plugin collection isn't actually that crazy? Nice.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

[quote=Ploki post_id=7714223 time=1585865131 user_id=221865]
Talking about FX, not synths. I don't have that many synths, I actually have an impressively small amount of synths compared to FX.

Problem is i use half of them... from all bundles, but not the whole bundles. If i bought single plugins from all vendors that i actually use, it would've been more expensive than the bundle. :roll:
Especially for some vendor that doesn't even have singles unless you buy Advanced version of everything.
Now it feels dirty and expensive despite the fact that it was cheaper.

What do you do if you have bundles that you don't use? keep em in your browsers "just in case" or hide them away? Try to use some from other bundles to replace them so you could shrink them down?
Or just accept the fact that you're a hoarder
[/quote]

When you produce music and have focus on music you usualy dont think about such things because most of the time you reach for the go-to plugin, unless you want to experiment. So my advice is, focus on the music, not the plugins.

I have 71 3d party plugins (FX), without counting mono/stereo variations.

And 20 vst instruments.

You can also do great recordings with plugins that are $50 or less. But me, I just play guitar a lot and don't worry if I record because it's my own private space. It's alone time really. Sad but true

I have way too many plugins as well.I have not even installed all. Buying them and just to play with them is fun, but doesn't help to create good music.

I recently had a plugin depression and thought about getting rid of most. But the truth is, I learned a lot about sound quality while playing and comparing them. It's like collection vinyl or something. Just don't mix it up with art.

I think after all it doesn't really matter. I have fun buying plugins. When I don't make good music it's only my fault and not because I have to many or not enough plugins.

When you don't create good music you wouldn't do differently with less plugins.

So don't fall into the trap and make too many or too less plugins responsible for that. :phones:

Return to “Effects”