am i the only one who dreads installing plug ins?!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

most vst installation is not a problem to me. i only use freeware.

my two main daws, reaper 6 and cubase le 5, just blacklists vstplugins they don't like. so, whatever plugins doesn't work for cubase i just move to the reaper vstplugin folder, and vice versa.

that's why the same song loaded into reaper sounds different when loaded into cubase... because the two daws uses different vst plugins.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Rickskii wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am Never had a problem. I use Mac though.
Ditto. That’s probably because of the more strict locations that various components install to, so it’s easier to test during development.

Sure, you can almost always decide where the VST dll file goes, but many installations also want to put uninstallers in your Program Files, manuals in Documents or Common Files etc - not to mention installing AAX versions even when you don't use ProTools.

It's not a problem to you but it is to others.

My C: drive is a small SSD so I'm becoming weary of what's needlessly filling it up.

80% of the time? Yikes! I've never had near that many issues - and I have a Windows machine!

All the time , it's the dog gone Plugin / Sound /preset library installers wanting to sheet all over your C drive all over the place . I also don't like sample or presets library installers that magical sheet all over you computer too and don't ask you where you want sheet installed at .

Feeling the installation pain right now after building a new studio machine. It's taking days to log into every account, download and authorize everything I own. I have to admit this is where something like iLok really shines. Most companies on iLok don't bother hiding their full installers behind an account so you can get up and running a lot faster without having to find all your original emails with your authorization information. I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet or something to keep track of all this for the future. :lol:

I do wish there was some of centralized download center for this, but that will never happen for obvious reasons. Of all the companies who have their own multi-installer, PA definitely has the best one. Lightweight and can download only what you need. IK Multimedia is by far the worst, because it installs every single plugin they make whether we like it or not.

I dread installing updates just because I CBF'd if something works already, but installs? Nope. I can't even remember the last time an install didn't go as planned. 2004 perhaps :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Kilohearts developer here.

We have our own custom installer software. It's a double edged sword. For 99% of users it's far more convenient than any other way, but for 1% it fails in some unexpected way, and fixing it becomes really frustrating.

We would love to have just a single .dll file that you put wherever you like, but for various reasons that's not an option.

People could "install" our plugins manually if we told them how, but it wouldn't be a fun ride. There are license files for all 30-ish plugins that need to be correct, and in the right place. There are actual the actual plugins in 1 to 5 formats depending on your preferences, that all need to be in the right places. There is shared code and resources that has to be placed correctly and everything needs to have the same versions. You can't have duplicates of anything because no DAWs handle that gracefully. There is factory contents like samples and wavetables and presets that all have to be in very specific folders, and then there are default locations for your user presets that need to be created with the correct file permissions before you attempt to actually save a preset. Then there are about a hundred other things to consider.

I'm not saying OP is wrong. I've had other installers be a pain for me in the past and that sucks.

Per Salbark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:42 amKilohearts
Hi, firstly I love your products and thanks for chiming in here.

While I have you is there a way to move the 1GB I have in Program Data\Kilohearts to another location?

I am mildly frustrated that I installed to E: and the installer decided to ignore part of that instruction and put some data on C still.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 pm While I have you is there a way to move the 1GB I have in Program Data\Kilohearts to another location?
You don't have to move it, but you can just delete the big culprit "Program Data\Kilohearts\Cache".

Per Salbark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 pm While I have you is there a way to move the 1GB I have in Program Data\Kilohearts to another location?
You don't have to move it, but you can just delete the big culprit "Program Data\Kilohearts\Cache".
:tu:

Great, thanks. I will do this. Thank-you, sir!

The PA installation manager is also pretty decent but doesn't even identify what versions of plugins you have installed. In this respect the Kilohearts installation manager is really awesome, good work :clap:

Who remembers Acustica Audio installations before Aquarius? What a nightmare!

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:12 amI always set a Windows restore point before installing any software.
Really? I wouldn't even know how to do that, let alone why I'd bother.
Time consuming if doing research if you have a concerns about a particular install.
The obvious fix, therefore, is not to worry about it. Seriously, I've never worried and I've never had even the slightest problem. Of course, I always buy my plugins from a reputable source so I know they'll be OK. If you're using pirated software, then you probably should be careful.
fedexnman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:28 amAll the time , it's the dog gone Plugin / Sound /preset library installers wanting to sheet all over your C drive all over the place . I also don't like sample or presets library installers that magical sheet all over you computer too and don't ask you where you want sheet installed at .
Which ones do that? All my sample libraries go exactly where I want them to go - into a directory called NI_MEDIA on my E:\ Drive.
nonstatic wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:16 am Feeling the installation pain right now after building a new studio machine. It's taking days to log into every account, download and authorize everything I own.
I did that mid last year and it wasn't so bad. Native Access took care of the bulk of my sound libraries and all their plugins and what was left wasn't too bad. I do keep a folder on one of my drives with all the installers I download in it, so I didn't have to go looking for anything on line.
I have to admit this is where something like iLok really shines.
Agreed. Along with Native Access, it made things a lot easier.
Per Salbark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:42 am Kilohearts developer here.

We have our own custom installer software. It's a double edged sword. For 99% of users it's far more convenient than any other way, but for 1% it fails in some unexpected way, and fixing it becomes really frustrating.[/quyote]
Your installer is awesome!!! Everyone should make it as painless as you guys do.

Anyway, mostly its the easiest thing imaginable. I had a bit of trouble recently with the update to Ujam's VB_Rowdy 2 but all I had to do was download it again and it was fine. That's probably the biggest hassle I've had in ages.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Russell Grand wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 am 80% of the time? Yikes! I've never had near that many issues - and I have a Windows machine!
Don't know if this part was sarcasm, but this lingering misconception about Windows is laughable.

I've used Windows and OSX as daily driver operating systems for most personal computing things, but I've been a Windows user for much longer overall. I've had few to no problems over the course of decades save for some a couple of rare hardware misbehaving interactions back in the old Windows 95 days.

I agree windows gets a lot of unjustified flack. Its always worked fine on all my machines. I'm still on 8.1 ... it works well for me. I have an old XP laptop too. Been going strong for 15 years running Live. I bought it for Live 7 Suite. It has 2 x 80gb HDDs :)

Return to “Effects”