Logic Pro X Update around the corner? (with screenshot)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

Coxy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:00 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:05 pm Logic is the only DAW that locks you on a single platoform.
Magix Samplitude.
And Sequioa. And Sonar.

But yeah, it sucks in all cases. Just makes collab harder.

Logic is the only DAW which saves me and prevent me to use windows ;)

Ploki wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:00 pm
revvy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 am It's a thread about logic. We don't need you to tell us it's Mac only. Sounds like a feature to me.
makes life much easier for collaborators.
On that front you're right. I'm referring to the ease of developing and hopefully therefore playing to the strengths of one single platform.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

fmr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:05 pm Logic is the only DAW that locks you on a single platoform.
Magix Samplitude.
Seqoia
SADiE
ACID Pro
Mixcraft
Sound Forge (that crippled Mac version doesn't count)
LUNA will be available for Mac only for quite some time

How long was FL Studio or WaveLab only available for PC?

The feature would just make sense and would make apple loops the hero of the show. I think apple loops just beg for this feature

I hope I didn’t develop carpal tunnel after clutching your pearls with such vigor. :lol:
[/quote]

Ok, that was very very funny!

SpiderMix
Custom Built MacPro (SpiderMac) Intel Q9450-OC 3.5ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB Hard Drive, Dual 24" LCD Monitors, Focusrite Saffire Audio Interface, Axiom 61 Controller, Roland Fantom G7 Workstation.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 am I made it a bit more complex than it actually is just for those who like to use the Piano Roll versus just using a midi controller. Otherwise just Ctrl-Shift-Return to create new tracks for the instrument then change channels on the controller.

I've been using multi-timbral instruments in Logic since Kore. Multi-timbral instruments were never really that complicated in Logic past LP8.
Yeah, but the problem is, whether using the menu or a shortcut, you can only setup a track for multi-timbral on track creation. You cannot take an existing track, attach it to another instrument, and change its channel to get the same effect. FFS, you can't even specify the channel number when you create the track. It's a broken workflow.

The workflow in Logic Pro X has been getting progressively worse year after year. Basic functionality is suffering bit rot. Simple stuff link automation editing, where a click on a node may or may not actually do anything. Automation copy-and-paste may or may not spontaneously convert your curves to steps. The mouse pointer will suddenly stop changing so you have no idea which tool is active or whether you are extending or looping a clip (until you restart Logic). The "track follows pointer" feature often has to be toggled off and on for the piano editor to sync up. And many more that I can't remember right now.

Logic's functionality is great, but it's accumulating more and more UI quirks as time goes on. Makes me want to scream sometimes.
Last edited by teilo on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outerspacecat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:04 pm
Magix Samplitude.
Seqoia
SADiE
ACID Pro
Mixcraft
Sound Forge (that crippled Mac version doesn't count)
LUNA will be available for Mac only for quite some time

How long was FL Studio or WaveLab only available for PC?
And FL Studio crashes on my Mac just siting there playing the example songs... so it’s still not really *properly ON* the Mac.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

teilo wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm
apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 am I made it a bit more complex than it actually is just for those who like to use the Piano Roll versus just using a midi controller. Otherwise just Ctrl-Shift-Return to create new tracks for the instrument then change channels on the controller.

I've been using multi-timbral instruments in Logic since Kore. Multi-timbral instruments were never really that complicated in Logic past LP8.
Yeah, but the problem is, whether using the menu or a shortcut, you can only setup a track for multi-timbral on track creation. You cannot take an existing track and attach it to another instrument, and change its channel to get the same effect. It's a broken workflow.

The workflow in Logic Pro X has been getting progressively worse year after year. Basic functionality is suffering bit rot. Simple stuff link automation editing, where a click on a node may or may not actually do anything. Automation copy-and-paste may or may not spontaneously convert your curves to steps. The mouse pointer will suddenly stop changing so you have no idea which tool is active or whether you are extending or looping a clip (until you restart Logic). The "track follows pointer" feature often has to be toggled off and on for the piano editor to sync up.

Logic's functionality is great, but it's accumulating more and more UI quirks as time goes on.
I suspect this is because Apple are breaking API stuff in Mac OS (either while rewriting parts of Mac OS in Swift, or just introducing bugs while adding questionable features to support iOS device sales). Mac OS has been collecting more and more bugs since 2013. It’s nowhere near as bad as iOS, but it’s getting to where it’s starting to be reminiscent of Windows... which was why I LEFT Windows!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

teilo wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Yeah, but the problem is, whether using the menu or a shortcut, you can only setup a track for multi-timbral on track creation. You cannot take an existing track, attach it to another instrument, and change its channel to get the same effect. FFS, you can't even specify the channel number when you create the track. It's a broken workflow.

The workflow in Logic Pro X has been getting progressively worse year after year. Basic functionality is suffering bit rot. Simple stuff link automation editing, where a click on a node may or may not actually do anything. Automation copy-and-paste may or may not spontaneously convert your curves to steps. The mouse pointer will suddenly stop changing so you have no idea which tool is active or whether you are extending or looping a clip (until you restart Logic). The "track follows pointer" feature often has to be toggled off and on for the piano editor to sync up. And many more that I can't remember right now.

Logic's functionality is great, but it's accumulating more and more UI quirks as time goes on. Makes me want to scream sometimes.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's why I use S1 as my primary DAW and not Logic. The weird UI bugs started to really annoy me.That being said my response was to FMR who seemed to think Multi-timbral Kontakt was impossible in Logic without messing with the environment. It's not.

Like I said this was easier in LP9. There was a function that let you create a track with next midi channel. It's still there but now it's a shortcut versus a menu item. So the functionality is:

1. Create Track with multitimbral instrument.
2. Assign Midi Channel 1 in the inspector.
3. Press Control + Return on your keyboard and Logic will automatically assign the next midi channel to that track. (Keep in mind to assign the first track from All to midi channel 1 or Logic will instead create a new track when pressing Control + Return).

After some testing (it's been a while since I've used Logic extensively). The New Track with Next Channel does indeed show up in the menu but like I wrote you need to make sure to assign a midi channel to the main instrument track first. The menu item is dynamic. A bit confusing but okay.

Doing it this way you get the added benefit that you can freely change the midi channel in the newly created track without affecting any of the other tracks.

Also you can take an existing track and assign to another instrument and it's fairly straight forward. Just right click on the track and you should see Reassign Track. Go to Mixer > Software Instruments and choose where you want the instrument routed to. If you don't see these options then make sure Logic is set to Advanced mode in your preferences.

Logic has so many different ways of doing things and LPX really messed some things up in-terms of the UI. Things that were easy to do are now harder or more hidden for no apparent reason.
Last edited by apoclypse on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:50 pm That being said my response was to FMR who seemed to think Multi-timbral Kontakt was impossible in Logic without messing with the environment. It's not.

Like I said this was easier in LP9. There was a function that let you create a track with next midi channel. It's still there but now it's a shortcut versus a menu item. So the functionality is:

3. Press Control + Return on your keyboard and Logic will automatically assign the next midi channel to that track. (Keep in mind to assign the first track from All to midi channel 1 or Logic will instead create a new track when pressing Control + Return)

Doing it this way you get the added benefit that you can freely change the channel in the newly created track without affecting any of the other tracks.

Logic has so many different ways of doing things and LPX really messed some things up in-terms of the UI. Things that were easy to do are now harder or more hidden for no apparent reason.
FMR's a clown. :clown:

He openly admits he thinks Apple are evil, consistently and relentlessly denigrates anything to do with Apple and by extension Logic yet perceiveably spends most of his KVR posting time on Apple threads. Go figure.

It's healthy to have proponents on every avenue of opinion, it creates an open honest culture of qualitative discussion. FML regrettably seems bitter and resentful against Apple its products and users and imo contributes nothing of quality to the honest culture of progression.

So you'd be better off ignoring his passive aggressive remarks about Apple and Mac users and instead accept challenges from those KVR forum participants who engage in more healthy debate about pros and cons of said topic.

Coxy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:24 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:50 pm That being said my response was to FMR who seemed to think Multi-timbral Kontakt was impossible in Logic without messing with the environment. It's not.

3. Press Control + Return on your keyboard and Logic will automatically assign the next midi channel to that track. (Keep in mind to assign the first track from All to midi channel 1 or Logic will instead create a new track when pressing Control + Return)

Doing it this way you get the added benefit that you can freely change the channel in the newly created track without affecting any of the other tracks.

FMR's a clown. :clown:

He openly admits he thinks Apple are evil, consistently and relentlessly denigrates anything to do with Apple and by extension Logic yet perceiveably spends most of his KVR posting time on Apple threads. Go figure.

It's healthy to have proponents on every avenue of opinion, it creates an open honest culture of qualitative discussion. FML regrettably seems bitter and resentful against Apple its products and users and imo contributes nothing of quality to the honest culture of progression.

So you'd be better off ignoring his passive aggressive remarks about Apple and Mac users and instead accept challenges from those KVR forum participants who engage in more healthy debate about pros and cons of said topic.
I don't know anything about that nor am I interested in attacking someone on here. I just wanted to clear up some misinformation since I know its helpful to me to find the right information when I google for stuff on the interwebs.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Coxy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:24 pm FMR's a clown. :clown:

Do I know you? Do you know me? I don't think so. Saying that I spend most of my KVR posting time in Apple threads is uttely insultuous. Fortunately, I have a (big) life outside of Apple. But I don't let pass an oportunity to leave my alert, that's for sure. :x

You're the clown, if you eat anything Apple throws through your throat. Anyone with a brain would understand that. Anyway, I'm out. I left the Logic train some years ago, when Apple screw all the LP9 users asking them to purchase Logic (again). This a few years after having screwed the Windows users when it bought Emagic. :x

BTW - did anyone find the mentioned screenshot already? :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pmSaying that I spend most of my KVR posting time in Apple threads is uttely insultuous.
Coxy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:24 pm perceivably spends most of his KVR posting time on Apple threads. Go figure.

Fernando gets off on trolling and ridiculing Apple users. Just ignore him and talk about the issue instead.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”