Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone else getting antsy stuck inside and waiting for this as a new toy to play with or is it just me? I've been holding off on most music related purchases in order to pick up this and eventually VCV Rack 2/Rack For DAWs when both are available. I'm hoping everyone's staying healthy (most important) and release will be soon (secondary).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:19 pm Anyone else getting antsy stuck inside and waiting for this as a new toy to play with or is it just me? I've been holding off on most music related purchases in order to pick up this and eventually VCV Rack 2/Rack For DAWs when both are available. I'm hoping everyone's staying healthy (most important) and release will be soon (secondary).
I am a member of this club, yes. And with things as they are globally right now, who knows when / if there will be any sign of this thing in the near future :(

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:19 pm Anyone else getting antsy stuck inside and waiting for this as a new toy to play with or is it just me?
+2

I think my personal hype for this is because I've been wanting a high-quality Virtual Oberheim Polysynth for a long time. I am not a fan of the OP-X, for reasons discussed at great length in at least one other thread. The Arturia stuff is OK, but not really what I was looking for. Oberhausen is very nice, but also very limited; a virtual SEM was never what I really wanted...I want a virtual OB-X, or OB-Xa, or OB-8....

For a while I thought U-He would be the company to do it, but when I heard Synapse would be the ones to finally take this on, I was very happy, having been quite impressed with both The Legend but also, notably, the high-quality RE's that Synapse has made for Reason, including many 'analog' effects and an excellent synth (Antidote).

So, for me this synth *potentially* will scratch an itch I've had for, quite literally, many years now. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment. But I'm optimistic. Hopefully we get to see it soon :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:19 pm Anyone else getting antsy stuck inside and waiting for this as a new toy to play with or is it just me?
just you, been playing with it for weeks here :hihi:

mholloway wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 pm I think my personal hype for this is because I've been wanting a high-quality Virtual Oberheim Polysynth for a long time. I am not a fan of the OP-X, for reasons discussed at great length in at least one other thread. The Arturia stuff is OK, but not really what I was looking for. Oberhausen is very nice, but also very limited; a virtual SEM was never what I really wanted...I want a virtual OB-X, or OB-Xa, or OB-8....

bx_Oberhausen and OP-XPro II are great at doing SEM and OB-X synthesis. The Arturia Matrix 12 is versatile and maybe some Matrix hardware owner has an opinion on how close it is to hardware.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:38 am
mholloway wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 pm I think my personal hype for this is because I've been wanting a high-quality Virtual Oberheim Polysynth for a long time. I am not a fan of the OP-X, for reasons discussed at great length in at least one other thread. The Arturia stuff is OK, but not really what I was looking for. Oberhausen is very nice, but also very limited; a virtual SEM was never what I really wanted...I want a virtual OB-X, or OB-Xa, or OB-8....

bx_Oberhausen and OP-XPro II are great at doing SEM and OB-X synthesis. The Arturia Matrix 12 is versatile and maybe some Matrix hardware owner has an opinion on how close it is to hardware.
https://youtu.be/tfi-nZBDOsY?t=539

The choir sound at 9:00 perfectly demonatrates how off the Arturia emu is.
Basic waves have been done fairly well (as can be heard at the begining of the video) but when things get more complex, the accuracy decreases.

AnX wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 pm
just you, been playing with it for weeks here :hihi:
I know you may be getting bored in Covid lockdown,but you really should stop playing with it...

Soon,you may be so blind that you may not be able to see the piano keyboard...

So be a good boy and put it away and get on with making some music :wink:
No auto tune...

I'm still working actually, not much time for music...

raysaul wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:07 am https://youtu.be/tfi-nZBDOsY?t=539

The choir sound at 9:00 perfectly demonatrates how off the Arturia emu is.
Basic waves have been done fairly well (as can be heard at the begining of the video) but when things get more complex, the accuracy decreases.
Actually. it sounds pretty close to me. I would only adjust the envelopes of the Arturia preset to gve them a little more release time. That's the only thing that lacks, and gives the real Matrix-12 a kind of reverberated tale.

The EP sound that followed was more distant, but Nori easily fixed by raising a bit the FM index.

I find that the Matrix-12 V is not exactly on pair with the original, but that's not in these aspects. These simple, bread'n butter sounds are pretty well nailed. Only when the modulations start to be (much) more complex, with those kind of sounds that most people around here never use (abstract, kind of randomized modulated sounds) that I find it difficult to get a match between the two.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:59 am
Actually. it sounds pretty close to me. I would only adjust the envelopes of the Arturia preset to gve them a little more release time.
Let's agree to disagree.

I agree. That you should disagree. ;)

I hadn't seen direct sw/hw comparisons and in complete honesty, I'm quite impressed at how close they had the software to sound.

The reason why the preset at 09:00 sounds so different is mainly because it's a preset highly characterized by a resonant bump emphasizing a specific frequency range. The preset on the plugin had the filter set up (by ENV1) to open significantly higher, which highlights the wrong frequencies, and that alone screws it up. VCA envelope (ENV2) also plays a part, as said above... it closes too soon in the plugin preset.

Same way in the preset right after that (electric piano), he got a lot closer by tweaking the filter cutoff.

With that said, I'm sure looking forward to the Synapse OB-Xa... the company's track record has been outstanding, the Legend is so close to the real thing... and I'm also really looking forward to the new release because most of my analog emulations are not MPE compatible.

bx_Oberhausen pretty much cured my gas for an OB sound so I am in no hurry. If you are waiting and you haven't tried it you realy should....its pretty easy to get hold of for very little dosh with all the PA sales and vouchers around!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:19 pm Anyone else getting antsy stuck inside and waiting for this as a new toy to play with or is it just me? I've been holding off on most music related purchases in order to pick up this and eventually VCV Rack 2/Rack For DAWs when both are available. I'm hoping everyone's staying healthy (most important) and release will be soon (secondary).
I'm sure the Synapse will have a better UI, but OP-X ProII already comes extremely close to Oberheim hardware soundwise and has the best factory library of any synth. It probably is going to be more like the difference between NI Monark and Synapse Legend, two different flavors like the small difference between two different hardware units.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”