What piece of gear helped you speed up or improve your workflow the most?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious, what gear helped you guys the most with getting compositions down, or producing, or mixing...

I’m debating getting a 88key midi controller, or a workstation, or a mini keyboard and good monitors and headphones, or some other things, right now I just use piano roll

HREQ wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am I’m debating getting a 88key midi controller, or a workstation, or a mini keyboard
If you have a piano-playing background, the 88key master keyboard makes most sense. But since you're asking, chances of you being a piano player are quite slim. Otherwise a midi controller with 3 to 5 octaves will do just fine.
If you're tired of working in the box and want to sequence on hardware, then the old-fashioned workstation could make sense (still you need some keyboard playing chops.) If desktop space is really sparse, then get a mini keyboard.
HREQ wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am good monitors and headphones
Those are essential! If you don't hear what it's supposed to sound like, it's like shooting in the dark.
HREQ wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am right now I just use piano roll
So did Avicii and numerous others, and it doesn't seem to hold them back.

Last weekend I saw a documentary about Nile Rodgers, he did collab with Avicii and watching him drag notes up & down on the piano roll was painful for me to watch. I thought: if you don't know the next note of the melody yet, what the F^&* are you doing! But apparently he got things done that way, so who am I to judge :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

All those stuff are essential, get 61 key controller for starters, there's Nektar Impact 61+ that is quite great for the buck, move to something better if you really develop need and taste.

About monitors and headphones, how much are you willing to spend?

BertKoor wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:10 am Last weekend I saw a documentary about Nile Rodgers, he did collab with Avicii and watching him drag notes up & down on the piano roll was painful for me to watch. I thought: if you don't know the next note of the melody yet, what the F^&* are you doing! But apparently he got things done that way, so who am I to judge :shrug:
He had two full time songwriters working with him, session players, engineers and etc. :shrug:

A MIDI keyboard.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am A MIDI keyboard.
... with drum pads, knobs & faders :hyper:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yep. :tu:

If you don't have any gear already then yeah, a MIDI controller.

For me one of the biggest improvements was when I bought a cheap Neutrik patchbay and a cheaper 19" rack frame. Result: more of my toys out and available to play with quickly. Less rummaging around for cables and power supplies.

Softube Console 1

a kazoo, so I can quickly come up with melodic lines
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

An acoustic guitar and a piano. Between them it’s easy to compose and work on arrangements.

Having less gear worked for me. The less choices i have the more tracks i finish.
Nowadays i have a laptop, headphones and a daw. And it works for me.

Moving from Sonar/Windows to Logic/Mac.

I’m not trying to start yet another “verses” thread derailment. It answers the question the thread asks. This was the change that improved my productivity most.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

By far:
Gear: LinnStrument
Software: Max/MSP & Bitwig

Anything I added to those (and I added a lot because of GAS disease), distracted more than focused my workflow. But its fun never the less...

A vertical mouse..., and room treatment.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”