Logic Pro

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:34 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:28 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:25 pmAlchemy and Sculpture are worth it alone for me. Nothing like it elsewhere.
Everything else is a giant bonus for me.
Buy Alchemy 2, get a full DAW for free :tu:
I just wish they would add the autosampler to Logic and i would have not go the way trough Mainstage.
Also i actually like the sound design and presets which comes with Logic.
Mostly no one talks about DAW stock synths/instruments and presets but i like the one in Logic more than from most third party tools. Logic team has some really good sound designers on board.
Oh and i just like the Logic arp, simple but my favorite still mostly for live input.
Add to that all the other good instruments and FX (especially ChromaVerb is another favorite here), amp designer, drummer etc. etc. and last but not least it works great together with my iOS devices.
Yup! Great channel-strip presets :tu:

Also, I mainly use Chromaverb and Space Designer for 'verbs, these days. 2C-Audio's B2 and DearVRPro are the only other two that I use.

It really is a great package.

I have yet to try a DAW that I like as much as Logic. My biggest issue with it is it opened the door to €€€€s of 3rd party instruments and fx, although Logic's aren't bad. I am continuously amazed at the tool I have at my fingertips. Wish I'd had it when I started out as a kid!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:42 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:25 pmAlchemy and Sculpture are worth it alone for me. Nothing like it elsewhere.
I just wish they would add the autosampler to Logic and i would have not go the way trough Mainstage.
Mostly no one talks about DAW stock synths/instruments and presets but i like the one in Logic more than from most third party tools. Logic team has some really good sound designers on board.
Oh and i just like the Logic arp, simple but my favorite still mostly for live input.
Add to that all the other good instruments and FX (especially ChromaVerb is another favorite here), amp designer, drummer etc. etc. and last but not least it works great together with my iOS devices.

Also, I mainly use Chromaverb and Space Designer for 'verbs, these days. 2C-Audio's B2 and DearVRPro are the only other two that I use.

Hah, welcome. The only third party FX i use are from 2CAudio and the NI Replika-XT delay. Everything else Logic delivers for me.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Hah, welcome. The only third party FX i use are from 2CAudio (the Precedence and Breeze 2 combo is just a game-changer for me) and the NI Replika-XT delay. Everything else Logic delivers for me.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Hah, welcome. The only third party FX i use are from 2CAudio and the NI Replika-XT delay. Everything else Logic delivers for me.
To be fair, I was referring to reverbs only.

I do have other third-party FX. There's some speciality type stuff that isn't so well catered-for in Logic :shrug: I also keep some other plugins that offer functionality I can get in Logic, but that I keep for that moment when I might have to ditch Mac entirely, and perhaps end up with a DAW that doesn't have the same quality first-party plugs.

I never could get warm with Logic, had to do some projects with it. The waveform display is close to useless if you need to edit non beat centric music...
Bombadil wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:07 pm I am continuously amazed at the tool I have at my fingertips. Wish I'd had it when I started out as a kid!
Having too many tools at your fingertips is not necessarily nursing creativity. I was always buffled, back in the day when the Berlin wall still was up, how the musicians from the east turned their lack of tools into musical gold...

I agree with the last bit, but if I was just starting out, I'd like to think that I'd get a grip on what works for me and what doesn't. It's only after working with a minimalist setup for so long that I feel overwhelmed by all the choices now at hand.

As far as editing audio, I rarely need to do it, and generally have good results when I do.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:58 pmHaving too many tools at your fingertips is not necessarily nursing creativity. I was always buffled, back in the day when the Berlin wall still was up, how the musicians from the east turned their lack of tools into musical gold...
The idea of too many tools stifling creativity may seem logical in some cases, but by no means is it true of all people, at all times.

And yes, good music can happen in spite of the tools. But again, that's not an argument against having a wide range of tools :tu:

Agree, think people go into extremes, like having barely essentials vs being a hoarder, there's fine line in middle which works for the best, having enough tools and options to actually do something great in shortest period of time and with least amount of work, that's actually productive.

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:41 pm Agree, think people go into extremes, like having barely essentials vs being a hoarder, there's fine line in middle which works for the best, having enough tools and options to actually do something great in shortest period of time and with least amount of work, that's actually productive.
But I don't think there are extremes. It all depends on the particular artist and the particular project. I'm not making an argument for hoarding, but if a musician understands what each bit of gear they buy can give them, even if it's just another colour, then it might be justifiable.

I also don't necessarily view shortness-of-time as a function of productivity. If you are working against a deadline for a client, then that's one thing. However, for an artist just producing for themselves and their own audience, productivity is an ongoing, non-linear, process which exists even if a project has not been finished.

I agree, gear can be just inspiring, even if I don‘t use it in the end.
Recently bought Hornets Hatefish, it was a buggy and didn‘t do what it was supposed to do, but was worth every penny (was cheap as hell anyway). It inspired me to finish the PhasePlant OSC. I did it without Hatefish, but with the basic idea behind it...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm But I don't think there are extremes. It all depends on the particular artist and the particular project. I'm not making an argument for hoarding, but if a musician understands what each bit of gear they buy can give them, even if it's just another colour, then it might be justifiable.
There are still extremes and you can observe them right here on this forum, don't know what you argument is about, I just presented healthy way of having gear without that being a problem, guess my point wasn't obvious.
I also don't necessarily view shortness-of-time as a function of productivity. If you are working against a deadline for a client, then that's one thing. However, for an artist just producing for themselves and their own audience, productivity is an ongoing, non-linear, process which exists even if a project has not been finished.
Yes, but if you invest more time and energy just because you are workarounding, than it's time wasted, that's my point, again in favor of having enough tools to get the job done best way as possible, but you might disagree on that too, fair enough.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:26 pm I agree, gear can be just inspiring, even if I don‘t use it in the end.
Recently bought Hornets Hatefish, it was a buggy and didn‘t do what it was supposed to do, but was worth every penny (was cheap as hell anyway). It inspired me to finish the PhasePlant OSC. I did it without Hatefish, but with the basic idea behind it...
Great job! A similar thing happened to me, many years back. Was demoing Sylenth, and there was a preset that had some note movement/patterns that I really loved. However, because I knew I wasn't going to end up buying Sylenth, I ended up learning to play the particular pattern of notes as a keyboard part, which ended up being the inspiration and backbone of a piece which was much better (and very different) than it would have been had I tried to use the original patch :tu:

The key to not being overwhelmed by choices, if that's what generally happens, is to set the parameters of the project, going in. It's no different to having a well-stocked kitchen. If you know that what you want for dinner is a simple pasta arrabbiata, then it doesn't matter how many thousands of other ingredients you have in the pantry, you won't be overwhelmed :tu:

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm But I don't think there are extremes. It all depends on the particular artist and the particular project. I'm not making an argument for hoarding, but if a musician understands what each bit of gear they buy can give them, even if it's just another colour, then it might be justifiable.
There are still extremes and you can observe them right here on this forum, don't know what you argument is about, I just presented healthy way of having gear without that being a problem, guess my point wasn't obvious.
I made a very clear distinction that if an artist/producer can justify each bit of gear, no matter how seemingly insignificant, or how little it will get used, then it can be justifiable. This is different to hoarding, which is buying gear for the sake of buying. And while that no doubt happens, it is not within the original context of my line-of-reason i.e the oft-suggest idea that having too many choices will result in some kind of decision paralysis not necessarily always being the case. Not saying that isn't a phenomenon. However, that's not a product of the amount of choice; rather, the fault is in the hands of the producer/artist
Passing Bye wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pmI also don't necessarily view shortness-of-time as a function of productivity. If you are working against a deadline for a client, then that's one thing. However, for an artist just producing for themselves and their own audience, productivity is an ongoing, non-linear, process which exists even if a project has not been finished.
Yes, but if you invest more time and energy just because you are workarounding, than it's time wasted, that's my point, again in favor of having enough tools to get the job done best way as possible, but you might disagree on that too, fair enough.
Not sure what you mean by "workarounding". Also not sure about "having enough tools to get the job done best way as possible". While it is true that having one synth can be the exact amount of tools to get the job done the best way possible, I also believe that having access to a whole range of colours, spices, aromas and flavours, in the right hands, can be an inspiration rather than a burden

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:55 pm I made a very clear distinction that if an artist/producer can justify each bit of gear, no matter how seemingly insignificant, or how little it will get used, then it can be justifiable. This is different to hoarding, which is buying gear for the sake of buying. And while that no doubt happens, it is not within the original context of my line-of-reason i.e the oft-suggest idea that having too many choices will result in some kind of decision paralysis not necessarily always being the case. Not saying that isn't a phenomenon. However, that's not a product of the amount of choice; rather, the fault is in the hands of the producer/artist
I'm discussing that actual phenomenon, taught I was clear enough.

Not sure what you mean by "workarounding".
Means taking more steps to do something, again in favor of having all the right tools available that are most suitable for the given job, instead of wasting time trying to make something less suitable to work for you.
Also not sure about "having enough tools to get the job done best way as possible". While it is true that having one synth can be the exact amount of tools to get the job done the best way possible, I also believe that having access to a whole range of colours, spices, aromas and flavours, in the right hands, can be an inspiration rather than a burden
That's what I said, it's obvious now you totally missed my point, forget about it, I never said anything, let's move on.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”