Exponential Audio Excalibur

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I learn about new products mostly from forums such as this. I think in this modern digital software age that word of mouth is a key component in marketing any software product (mostly in music in my case). User's good reviews and experiences definitely shape which products I even try out or consider buying. Similarly bad reviews and experiences make me at least pause.
Surely indeed if it is one person going on and on about bad experiences in isolation it is easier to dismiss it, if several users say the same thing, it is probably more like not to be as easily dismissed.
So how do you know about user's experiences good or bad if they don't post it?
I think sharing experience with your peers are very very important service to the industry.

Now more on topic.
I love Michael's Reverbs. I have been on record several times saying they are the best software Reverbs. For me however Excalibur is very different that the other EA products. I bought it as a way of saying I support EA and I know he had said he had major plans for it.

I don't think I have ever used it in a project alas. For me it didn't have any vibe/sound that appealed to me.. So far anyway.
rsp
sound sculptist

After playing with it a bit I had doubts like many others here about its sound quality and usefulness. Then I discovered the solution and now there's no doubt that this is one of the best multi fx plugins out there. This plugins sounds just so much better when you have your iLok2 hardware dongle connected. The physical dongle gives it a special kind of pro quality hardware sound you only find in those high end hardware effect boxes like Eventide H9000. I think this might be related to the fact that this plugin was given away so cheaply, which makes you perceive it to be lower quality than it is, but connecting your hardware iLok2 restores it's pro quality status and makes it sound warm and hardware like. This might be the reason why EA never wanted to go soft iLok for a long time as the dongle is the integral part of its pro hardware sound.
No signature here!

I even noticed btw that with plugged inned key the tails of reverb and resonators become longer. And at the same time it smells of pies from PC case.

imrae wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:37 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:10 pm If you don't want to buy from iZotope or Plugin Alliance, that's your good right. And, actually, that's the best thing you can do. Instead of crying like some people do notoriously in this place.
Heaven forbid that people discuss their preferences or share their experiences with their peers, right? What is this, a discussion forum?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

Wait till you change the spark plugs on this thing--I swear it is so much snappier and faster.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

OTOH, it’s much harder to pull your iLok2 out of your laptop after using this plugin. Hold on, I forgot its name ...

robotmonkey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm After playing with it a bit I had doubts like many others here about its sound quality and usefulness. Then I discovered the solution and now there's no doubt that this is one of the best multi fx plugins out there. This plugins sounds just so much better when you have your iLok2 hardware dongle connected. The physical dongle gives it a special kind of pro quality hardware sound you only find in those high end hardware effect boxes like Eventide H9000. I think this might be related to the fact that this plugin was given away so cheaply, which makes you perceive it to be lower quality than it is, but connecting your hardware iLok2 restores it's pro quality status and makes it sound warm and hardware like. This might be the reason why EA never wanted to go soft iLok for a long time as the dongle is the integral part of its pro hardware sound.
Underrated comment right here. It's the same reason Logic is so good, it comes with a $1500-$3000 aluminum dongle.

Seems like a good deal to me.
Last edited by revvy on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Not sure how mine works without dongle must be the faerie dust. Something in the way she moves.

dangayle wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:34 am
robotmonkey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm After playing with it a bit I had doubts like many others here about its sound quality and usefulness. Then I discovered the solution and now there's no doubt that this is one of the best multi fx plugins out there. This plugins sounds just so much better when you have your iLok2 hardware dongle connected. The physical dongle gives it a special kind of pro quality hardware sound you only find in those high end hardware effect boxes like Eventide H9000. I think this might be related to the fact that this plugin was given away so cheaply, which makes you perceive it to be lower quality than it is, but connecting your hardware iLok2 restores it's pro quality status and makes it sound warm and hardware like. This might be the reason why EA never wanted to go soft iLok for a long time as the dongle is the integral part of its pro hardware sound.
Underrated comment right here. It's the same reason Logic is so good, it comes with a $1500-$3000 aluminum dongle.
:hihi: True.
No signature here!

Probably, there is a clandestine Atari tradition, since the times when vendors stored parts of the program code in their exclusive dongles. :)

bmanic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:56 pm
pbr985 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:59 am I'm shocked reading these reviews. When this thing came out everyone on gearslutz was reaving about it that it sounds more analog than anything ITB. You can check the topic some people were saying they dropped their Eventide H3000 as this is the only plugin that can replace it ITB sound quality wise... Strange hey.
Are you SURE people called it "analogue"?? I remember distinctly people calling it a replacement for the H3000, as you said, which is 100% digital and not even remotely trying to be analogue. The hardware is as digital and sterile as it gets. Doesn't make the H3000 bad at all, on the contrary. It's exactly what I described above. Thin, unassuming and just "fits the mix".
Not that this matters in the slightest in the grand scheme of things, but I'm pretty sure there is a significant amount of supporting analog circuitry in the h3k - for example CEM filtering before the outs. I'd say the converters are probably a big part of the sound as well. It definitely has a different character to the later eventides (imho not better or worse just different)

To who sent me the pm about this thread: don't.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

v1o wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm Has anyone been successful in activating the demo activation code? I keep getting an error message saying the code has been activated too many times.
Same issue. Trial code from both plugin boutique and izotope is the same as well. Sent plugin boutique support message but no reply as yet

tomheavybeats wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:59 pm
v1o wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm Has anyone been successful in activating the demo activation code? I keep getting an error message saying the code has been activated too many times.
Same issue. Trial code from both plugin boutique and izotope is the same as well. Sent plugin boutique support message but no reply as yet
Good to know I'm not the only one. I also contacted PB support with a message but am yet to hear back.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Effects”