Anybody who does bells?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:09 pm
digitalboytn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am You also might want to hit up Quasimodo...

He does bells :)
He does bells?

I’ll bet someone tolled him off...
Shut your clapper, you ding-dong! :phones:

Winstontaneous wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 pm
digitalboytn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am You also might want to hit up Quasimodo...

He does bells?

Shut your clapper, you ding-dong! :phones:
Don't get the hump ;)

Kwurqx wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am On bells,

In general bells tend to have a sparse spectrum. Often just a handfull higher level amplitude frequencies. This is why subtractive synthesis (filtering) is often not the way to go.

AM and FM are much better candidates to generate/modulate these sparse spectrums, since they both generate sum- and difference frequencies (sidebands), at specific spots, potentially all over the spectrum. Using sines or at least just a few harmonics as carrier and modulator, this will soon give you bell like spectrums.

Another great option is additive (or spectral) synthesis.

Some implementations of "additive" synthesis:
  • Just specifying a "static" spectrum to act more or less like a subtractive synths "oscillator" (e.g. free FathomSynth, Oatmeal, ZynAddSubFX and others). You could also use or generate samples/wavetables for this.
  • Controlling/modulating amplitude of individual harmonics (e.g. Kawai K5/K5000, MSoundFactory)
  • Do all kinds of manipulations on the harmonics level (e.g. Loom)
Like many emulations of "real world" instruments/sounds, there is also the challenge of the "attack", differing from the sustain. In this case, the "strike" segment of a bell sound.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_tone

Access to individual harmonics will help solve for this too. Though "simple" transitions using multiple "samples" or wavetables may help here too....
Bells are one of the very few things that are trivial to program in my Kawai K5000S.

JoseC. wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:26 pm

In general bells tend to have a sparse spectrum. Often just a handfull higher level amplitude frequencies. This is why subtractive synthesis (filtering) is often not the way to go.

AM and FM are much better candidates to generate/modulate these sparse spectrums, since they both generate sum- and difference frequencies (sidebands), at specific spots, potentially all over the spectrum. Using sines or at least just a few harmonics as carrier and modulator, this will soon give you bell like spectrums.

• Just specifying a "static" spectrum to act more or less like a subtractive synths "oscillator" (e.g. free FathomSynth, Oatmeal, ZynAddSubFX and others). You could also use or generate samples/wavetables for this.
  • Controlling/modulating amplitude of individual harmonics (e.g. Kawai K5/K5000, MSoundFactory)
Like many emulations of "real world" instruments/sounds, there is also the challenge of the "attack", differing from the sustain. In this case, the "strike" segment of a bell sound.

Access to individual harmonics will help solve for this too. Though "simple" transitions using multiple "samples" or wavetables may help here too....
Bells are one of the very few things that are trivial to program in my Kawai K5000S.
I have used and actually still own it's predecessor....the 1987 Kawai K5. Can you image programming additive patches via a miniscule LCD screen, using miniscule buttons and a data entry wheel? But it tought me a lot.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/kawai-k5/2552

You mention you're a Logic user, you should take a look at Sculpture. Start from the Tutorial-> 0000default, move the thing in the middle to more Glass than Steel, Media Loss to around halfway, play up a few octaves and there are some tiny little noises up there. Well, it's a starting point if you get stuck.

Kwurqx wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:35 pm
JoseC. wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:26 pm

I have used and actually still own it's predecessor....the 1987 Kawai K5. Can you image programming additive patches via a miniscule LCD screen, using miniscule buttons and a data entry wheel? But it tought me a lot.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/kawai-k5/2552
Sure I can, is the same as the K5000S :) I use the SoundDiver editor, that somehow it still works in Windows 10, but very often I also use the front panel. It is also my main controller, , with its 16 knobs, the excellent key bed and its powerful arpeggiator. I keep it on my desk right in front of me. It is true that having to use those old limited interfaces forces you to think in what you are doing and use your ears instead of relying in what you see on a computer screen, or even just randomly moving knobs.

He does bells?

:lol:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:14 pm

He does bells?

:lol:
It took time, but I'm glad someone got it... :hihi:

Sowwy....Eye ahm ah bhit sloooooooow :)
No auto tune...

Thank you for your knowledgeable background and expertise!

I guess I needed a little more than my Dean Freidman 1982 video series from the New York school of synthesis. :tu:

Sincerely,

Kiva

stanlea wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:53 pm Ogun from Image Line has some nice metallic features.

A fresh redux of an 80s sound.

Nice. :tu:

For the ubernerds that are not scared off by some scientific research on bells and their spectra....
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... urch_Bells

Return to “Sound Design”