Which Studio Monitors to buy for Techno/Bass Music

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey!

I'm looking to upgrade my current Yamaha HS80M + RME Fireface UC set up with a better pair of studio monitors.

I'm at small room, with minimal treatment and i use Sonarworks Studio Reference for better sound, which does an amazing job btw, especially to my low end.

Which monitors should i buy in order to get good sub response, 45HZ minimum but a small woofer so that the room won't act too muddy.

Do they exist?

I'm thinking of Genelec 8330, 5'' woofer with a 45 Hz - 23 kHz frequency response.
Is it any good? Is there a cheaper/better solution without emptying the bank?

Many thanks!

I have Genelec 1029A which have a 5" woofer. I also have 1091A sub which is matched. For recording and mixing any kind of electronic music I found the sub to be essential. You can mix at low levels and still hear the bottom end. Before adding it my mixes were often too bass heavy.
Genelecs are pricey, but mine are more than 20 years old now, and have never had any issues. :)

is a configuration with a Sub more preffarable for small rooms?

It will be boomy anyway, you will need to put bass traps.

In short: any monitors. Your tracks won't mysteriously gain "techno" from any speaker setup.

Think about it.. You change your techno speakers to "jah mon" speakers and boom. Your techno went to reggaetechno.

Sub will definitely bring more problems, opposed to what you expect, but it's kinda essential for doing music that so heavily rely on low end, like techno, maybe instead of getting another pair of monitors, just treat your room more and get a sub.

There's cheaper sub's that will do the job just fine, KRK and Fluid have good sub's for the buck, also if you want smaller, but more detailed monitor than Yamaha, Neumann KH 80 DSP could be another option, it doesn't go as low as you expect, but you can extend it with sub and get really great sounding system without breaking a bank.

Frequency response in specs is generally somewhat misleading. Some are more so than others, admittedly.

For a start, do they note the levels (dB) at the specified frequencies? -3 is kinda far from, say, -10. Also keep in mind, their testing (if it’s even legit) would’ve been done in circumstances radically different from anywhere you’re ever likely to be. Et cetera.

If you can go have a listen to some, with known tracks, that might help. Do an A/B, or whatever.

Otherwise, check some reliable reviews. They’re out there.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 am In short: any monitors. Your tracks won't mysteriously gain "techno" from any speaker setup.

Think about it.. You change your techno speakers to "jah mon" speakers and boom. Your techno went to reggaetechno.
i didn't ask my monitors to be techno my friend, i stated i make Techno/Bass music to emphasize the point that i need great Sub-Bass monitoring
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 am Sub will definitely bring more problems, opposed to what you expect, but it's kinda essential for doing music that so heavily rely on low end, like techno, maybe instead of getting another pair of monitors, just treat your room more and get a sub.

There's cheaper sub's that will do the job just fine, KRK and Fluid have good sub's for the buck, also if you want smaller, but more detailed monitor than Yamaha, Neumann KH 80 DSP could be another option, it doesn't go as low as you expect, but you can extend it with sub and get really great sounding system without breaking a bank.
that's what i'm close to right now, after a night of heavy researching
i think i'll buy the Yamaha HS8S sub and invest in some portable bass traps
kvotchin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 am Frequency response in specs is generally somewhat misleading. Some are more so than others, admittedly.

For a start, do they note the levels (dB) at the specified frequencies? -3 is kinda far from, say, -10. Also keep in mind, their testing (if it’s even legit) would’ve been done in circumstances radically different from anywhere you’re ever likely to be. Et cetera.

If you can go have a listen to some, with known tracks, that might help. Do an A/B, or whatever.

Otherwise, check some reliable reviews. They’re out there.
true!

WolfLikeMeGR wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:39 am Sub-Bass monitoring
Get headphones, mix with both. Then when you think you're done, listen with different environments. Car (with a sub), phone, home stereo..

Or buy a sub for your monitors.. IMO though, you'll just mess things up unless you have a "real" studio space. At least I'd never put a sub in my bedroom or similar.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 am In short: any monitors. Your tracks won't mysteriously gain "techno" from any speaker setup.
:tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I have a 7" inch near field monitor that goes down to 42hz +-3db. When I'm listening to different electronic music including techno, I don't think I miss something in the low end, like with 5" monitors I heard.
I also have few 13 cm thick bass traps to tame the low frequencies, but if I was adding a sub then I'd have to add thicker bass traps which are more expensive.
Your theories about small woofer that goes low won't muddy the room are wrong, because it's about the frequency not about the woofer size. The woofer size should be appropriate to the distance you're sitting from the speaker. We're talking about near field monitors which optimally are around a meter away distance. Anything between 6.5" and 8" is a good choice.

WolfLikeMeGR wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:39 am that's what i'm close to right now, after a night of heavy researching
Good call, those Yamaha speakers you got are more than fine for the genre you are doing, just extend the low end and you are golden.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm
WolfLikeMeGR wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:39 am that's what i'm close to right now, after a night of heavy researching
Good call, those Yamaha speakers you got are more than fine for the genre you are doing, just extend the low end and you are golden.
For the low end: Presonus Eris just got a facelift, with another 10 Hz lower than before. (Now 48Hz for 5 inch and 35 Hz for 8 inch.) Not sure they are for you, but maybe worth checking out. https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris-E5-XT
https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris-E8-XT

And then the iLoud MTM comes to mind, of course. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”