New: Brainworx bx_console SSL 9000 J

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dip200 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Aloysius wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm
RafaelMorgan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm I'll never trust Brainworx again after their bx_refinement plugin.
Is there something wrong with it? Asking for a friend.
iirc it's just a peak EQ which removes frequencies at around 3 khz. You can modulate the EQ either with an LFO or an envelope follower. Nothing wrong with that of course. But it has a lot of marketing bs around it and ofc shiny tubes on the GUI.
I'm surprised to hear that. Thanks for the info'. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Dirk = Slate

kmonkey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:51 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:54 pm
it really doesn't. It randomizes phase/freq response a little and parameters, which in a big picture is nice, but it's nothing magical.
Ah i see your older post now. I get it i misunderstood you. I agree nothing magical - but no other plugin does it in such nice subtle way. Little bit for everyone can't harm. Like you said it's nothing magical but sometimes it can yield "that" bit.

Btw i dig compressor on this one. Quite punchy.
Well, Acustica Audio actually does it with some of their channels strips and unlike the totally random and nonsensical TMT hypetech (remember, this is the company that tried to claim they invented Mid/Side processing!!) Acustica Audio _actually_ sampled each channel of the desk and the various busses separately. So yeah..

Then again, with Acustica Audio you are dealing with another difficult company and a huge selection of products that are at best unreliable in how they work.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

kmonkey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm I clicked random 30 times, THD is a simple soft clipper - i don't remember console i worked on acting like a soft clipper.
It was a 9000 J lol. :hihi:
With all due respect it's not! Show me soft clipper which can shift phase and panorama like that? I beg you to do it ( I would like to have such saturator).

I get it that THD is saturation "only" but whole TMT is not only saturation. Sorry if i am mistaken and does not understand you properly. I am under impression you are saying that whole TMT is just a soft clipper. Again i apologize if i misunderstood you.

Simply put any Bassdrum sample, put SSL 9000 behind it. Select some preset (audio is not important for test). Place vectorscope behind it and look what it does to audio. Hitting RANDOM each time get you different audio result within the reach of channel count obviously.

You can even hear it in busy mixes it can shift stereo a lot. Sometimes it even destroy it, mixes can fall apart. It's a feature and it's optional. Everything for everyone.
I think Ploki just has all the terms mixed up. TMT is indeed randomizasion of a bunch of internals.. basically tiny variations in frequency response (phase changes happen because of this), compressor timings, knob positions etc.

However, TMT is _extremely_ lazily done and at least in my experience results in nothing like how a real large format console would vary between channels. Heck, sometimes it doesn't even make sense. It really feels like no human took an actual listen to these randomizations (just like no real proper critical listening was ever done to their THD stuff.. it has serious aliasing issues).

Brainworx is mostly all about marketing, always has been ever since their first "OMG We do MID/SIDE processing!" days.

bmanic wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm I think Ploki just has all the terms mixed up. TMT is indeed randomizasion of a bunch of internals.. basically tiny variations in frequency response (phase changes happen because of this), compressor timings, knob positions etc.

However, TMT is _extremely_ lazily done and at least in my experience results in nothing like how a real large format console would vary between channels. Heck, sometimes it doesn't even make sense. It really feels like no human took an actual listen to these randomizations (just like no real proper critical listening was ever done to their THD stuff.. it has serious aliasing issues).

Brainworx is mostly all about marketing, always has been ever since their first "OMG We do MID/SIDE processing!" days.
I never mixed any terms tho. :)
was specifically talking about THD and TMT separately.
THD stuff as i said earlier is just a non-oversampled soft clipper - it's a banal form of waveshaping (check it out with an oscilloscope)
most of their new stuff aliases like a bitch tho

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 pm I never mixed any terms tho. :)
was specifically talking about THD and TMT separately.
THD stuff as i said earlier is just a non-oversampled soft clipper - it's a banal form of waveshaping (check it out with an oscilloscope)
most of their new stuff aliases like a bitch tho
Ah ok my bad. Thought you had them mixed up. :tu:

Anyhow, yeah I agree with you. Not sure what has happened with their coding skills but ever since Ray left it's been quite bad on the technical front.

I'm just going to make three revolutionary statements no one has ever heard:

1. The game has been changed

2. I put it in all my mixes, on every track and 72 times, to make sure I take advantage of all the nuances of each instance

3. Thanks Di*k
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Check it out, LVC's T-Chain rack modules also have "TMT"! :wink: And they sound amazing, and they oversample, and they cost barely more than $10 :D

This one of the most offensive threads I have ever read.

kelvyn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 pm This one of the most offensive threads I have ever read.
Towards whom?

kelvyn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 pm This one of the most offensive threads I have ever read.
Exactly. Old fellows with a chip on their shoulders towards PA. They could come out with a fifty dollar plugin that spits hundred dollar bills out of the front of your computer and they'll find a way to turn that into a negative.

Just imagine if PA were the ones that released Sunset Sound Studio Reverb....yikes!!! Hahaha.

Having said that, I'm an old fellow that is grateful to have access to all of the PA plugins. This is a wonderful addition to the collection.

Idk man, are you sure that's all it is?

i‘m so bored by the pa bashing in every pa post. Just dont ever spend more than 30-40 dollars for a plugin by them and you get pretty impressive deals (i got diezel herbert, spl iron and shmc at that price tag)the marketing is of course bs, but we should have get used to it by now.

as for their channelstrips, i own three of them (focusrite, neve and ssl-e) and have to admit that i mostly use the focusrite since i got it. the other two get used occasionally only.

Still, as soon as the 9000 console will be part of their sales i‘ll test it and see if it does something for me.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:28 pm Check it out, LVC's T-Chain rack modules also have "TMT"! :wink: And they sound amazing, and they oversample, and they cost barely more than $10 :D

t-chain is a premium example for good sounding software that frequently crashes myhost. love the sound but unreliable here (logic x). developer responds by thanking for my crash reports but i never saw updates addressing the issues i reported.

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:13 pm
Towards whom?
If the cap fits wear it.... The whole Arturia, Waves, Slate and now PA bashing that’s been perpetrated in threads like these are tiresome and extremely out of order. Critique all you want but the bile that comes with it is completely unnecessary.
It feels more like cathartic outrage than anything else and the personal swipes at Dirk... just stop it.

Return to “Effects”