Logic Pro crashes trying to import old GarageBand project

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got this old song I'd like to upgrade, so I attempted to import it to Logic but it crashes before its finished. I tried opening it in an old version of GarageBand, but got an error saying it stopped working "while using MOTU Symphonic Instrument".
Now I think the problem is that I no longer have MSI on my computer, but I'd really prefer not to reinstall it just for one song (especially since it costs money), unless there's no other solution. Is there a way of fixing this somehow, or maybe someway of tricking Logic into ignoring that particular track?

You can try importing all the tracks except that one to a new project. You can do that from Logic's browser.

1. Create a new project.
2. Navigate to the old project in Logic's browser,
3. Click on the project and click Import on the bottom right.
4. It will list all tracks, busses, and effects in the browser and you can check and uncheck what you need.
5. Click add and it will add it to the new project.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Have you tried opening it in a newer version of GarageBand then resave it without the missing plugin?

apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:22 pm You can try importing all the tracks except that one to a new project. You can do that from Logic's browser.

1. Create a new project.
4. It will list all tracks, busses, and effects in the browser and you can check and uncheck what you need.
The button only says "Open".
Forgotten wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm Have you tried opening it in a newer version of GarageBand then resave it without the missing plugin?
I have, it crashes too.

tymime wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 am
apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:22 pm You can try importing all the tracks except that one to a new project. You can do that from Logic's browser.

1. Create a new project.
The button only says "Open".
Forgotten wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm Have you tried opening it in a newer version of GarageBand then resave it without the missing plugin?
I have, it crashes too.
Sorry. I misread your original post I though you had converted the file to Logic already. You can only do that with Logic files not Garageband files.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Do you have an iPad or iPhone with GarageBand that you can try to open it with?

Forgotten wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:54 am Do you have an iPad or iPhone with GarageBand that you can try to open it with?
Sorry, no. :(

Maybe try this;

Turn off core audio
Import the file. remove MSI and re save. And quit relaunch.

andypryce wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm Maybe try this;

Turn off core audio
Import the file. remove MSI and re save. And quit relaunch.
I already said in my first post that I don't have MSI anymore, so there's nothing to remove.

Yes ı know.
That is why I suggested to turn off Core Audio so Logic will not try to load a nonexistent plugin. It will not load any 3rd party plugin for that matter. Then you can delete the track that's supposed to have that plugin and save your project.

I see, that wasn't clear.
That did it, though, thanks. Funny though, I was kinda impatient to get started, so I referenced an old mixdown and recreated it by scratch last night. This new import did help me get some details I missed though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”