Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Much Ado About Nothing. This is not a subscription.

No, it is not what people normally refer to when they use the term subscription - I totally give you that.

But it is enforced one-click-payment for all future purchases (unless you go to the lenght of cancelling this... whatever it is correctly called)

It was late, I had to come up with an English term. In hindsight I was too hasty with my choice of words as this indeed leaves the door wide open for minunderstandings. But that was an honest mistake. And it's ridiculous that you now (ab)use this mistake in order to atempt to totally discredit my valid concearn regarding this. Would I have done the mistake of calling it "subscription" had I foreseen what you now turns this into? Certainly not. But I did not there and then in the middle of the night. But I welcome you to do better in German. In order to make the screenshot, I first had to switch Paypal to English, log out and in again, so the original text I was greeted with was in German, not English.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

For anyone unsure of the facts

1) Its not a one-click payment system. Your purchases get added to a shopping cart, not purchased immediately. Then you checkout, then you choose a payment method. Then you okay the payment.

2) Its not Paypal-only. You're given the option of a card or Paypal payment.

3) Its not a mandatory payment authorisation, there's a 'Remember Payment Method for future purchases' tickbox which you have to enable to be opted in. And remembering those details is not specific to Paypal.

4) What you would be agreeing to is the exact same thing as you'd be agreeing to with an Amazon or other online shopping account; they store your payment details so you dont have to enter them each time.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I had to do 6 clicks to complete a purchase from the app using Paypal. Was not my first purchase. There was no enforced "Remember payment method for future purchases." My experience was different for some reason.

jdanzig wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:06 pm I had to do 6 clicks to complete a purchase from the app using Paypal. Was not my first purchase. There was no enforced "Remember payment method for future purchases." My experience was different for some reason.
1 click appeared when I reinstalled the new system. It is really convenient, it saves time with the following payments. Less mouse clicks.

double post...
Last edited by jens on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Facts in my case:

- I had (as mentioned before) "remember payment method for future payment" unticked

- Credit Card gave a server error (I tried two or three times)

- I did in no way manage to purchase without having to agree to the agreement that the screenshot above shows
all I could do was to cancel the transaction

- i.e. there was NO way for me to purchase without making an agreement that would affect future purchases

- whether it is really a single-click purchase or not I can not verfiy because a) it is not explained or mentioned at all by them
and b) I can not find out without making the agreement first, which I won't

And that is basically all there is to it. I have been happily purchasing plugins for more than 15years now and never ran into something like this. And I don't think that I have a strong tendency to make a big fuss out of little things. I also don't think that I am normally overly paranoid about these matters. Often people around me are a lot more suspicious than me.
However this here certainly is a big issue for me. So big that right now I don't want to use VM anymore even though I praised it lenghtily just yesterday. Probably I'll just end up selling my licenses and be done with it. I am totally serious. I just wanted to purchase some stuff but instead I ran into this crap and had to waste time attempting to avoid it and what not...
Last edited by jens on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 pmAnd I don't think that I have a strong tendency to make a big fuss out of little things.

Care to come up with some quotes/proof?

When did I ever complain about some purchasing procedure? (Of course I am not like you who appears to always 100% support every single developer tactic of like every single developer out there like I would be getting paid for it, but... )

Anyway: this has run its course I think. I said my bit and they lost me as a customer. If everyone else thinks this is all fine and dandy that's actually not my business at all even though I am surprised to say the least...

jens wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:05 pm you who appears to always 100% support every single developer tactic of like every single developer out there like I would be getting paid for it, but...
Good one. Now tweet 'fake news' and 'Obama's fault'.

done

jens wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 pm- i.e. there was NO way for me to purchase without making an agreement that would affect future purchases
You can cancel this agreement in your Paypal account. It's called Automatic Payments.

Paypal -> Settings -> Payments -> Manage your Automatic Payments

Hi all,

For the record, I've looked into this, and here are the facts as I understand them:
  • In order for us to offer one-click payments, whether or not you choose to use this feature, Paypal requires this agreement to be in place.
  • People have been asking us for years why they can't use their Paypal balance to make purchases. It turns out, because we offer one-click payments, people are unable to make payments with their existing Paypal balance. I don't exactly understand why this is the case, but that's how Paypal works.
  • Because of the Paypal Balance issue, we've made the decision to eliminate one-click payments with the next update of our backend. Our web team tells us this change will go live possibly as early as next week. We know some people really like this feature, but there are just too many strange issues with Paypal when we have this feature activated.
To Jens, the original poster, I'm sorry you had a negative experience trying to make a purchase with us. Please understand that we have no control over how Paypal interacts with you, we simply use them as a payment processor, like millions of other businesses. If you're willing to give us another chance, I'll let you know when the One Click Purchase feature has been removed. After that change, your purchase should go very smoothly.

Finally, I wanted to give everyone a bit of an update on Voltage Modular. Like so many other vendors, we were planning to exhibit at the SynthPlex convention in Burbank, California, at the end of March. We had some very exciting announcements planned, but unfortunately COVID-19 put an end to those plans. We're still hard at work and will have some exciting news for our users soon. We're now aiming for early May, and we think you'll all like what's coming!

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

The way paypal is implemented with Cherry is different than any other implementation I've seen, from a user perspective. With other vendors, when I go to pay with PP selected, it opens up a paypal dialogue that allows me to select how I want to pay including using my balance or not. It also allows me to choose with currency to charge my card. With Cherry, it doesn't give me any options and as soon as I hit Pay, it pauses and then says I've paid with none of other dialogues.

If the Cherry story worked the way other sites work as I mentioned it would give customers a more typical experience with all the payment options PP offers usually.

Someone may have made a decision to use a different API or whatever. It would be prudent to look into implementing the more usual checkout flow.

I do wish there were sub-categories. Module devs that put cool module names that do not include a reference to the modules function are cool for real, but if I search for "envelope" that module will not be referenced. So I must call my envelope "Thor's Envelope" and not "Thor's Hammer". This defies logic, since we all know Thor was not really a mailman. So, yes, an envelope is a controller. Of the envelope type.

Return to “Instruments”