One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 pm Eheh...yeah, I had it from years ago (2015, I think) and didn't like it then...still can't ever warm up to the PPG for some reason. Certainly a clean synth, but...well... hey, maybe an OSC would force me to find the good sides!?! :shrug: :lol: :tu:
I also don't really like them, but that would make it more of a challenge, huh? Maybe using Attack for bass sounds? Resonance in D-Pole? I dunno. Will have a listen with the latest versions and report back :)

EDIT: OH MAN, these things are worse than I remember them... for a company that makes such great hardware, I don't understand how they make such terrible software... The UIs have been updated a bit graphically but they have the same controls and layout as before, as far as I can tell. PPG Wave 2.2v is largely menu driven to really get into editing a lot of the sound's guts, which makes for a terrible experience. had they spent the time to just move ONE of those menus into the main UI, it would be a pleasure to use, I bet. Attack and PPG Wave 2.2v (both VST and VST3) have a wonderful bug that CRASHES the Bitwig audio engine when the GUI is closed. :tu: This also happens when the GUI is "hidden", e.g. when changing tracks and set to only show plugins on the selected track. At least, being Bitwig, nothing is lost... except it seems that due to some other reasons it doesn't send all the edit information quickly enough, so you can easily lose the work you've done on a patch. I don't know if this bug affects any other hosts or happens on Windows. D-Pole might actually be the best of these 3 plugins, providing... well, providing the same sorts of filters that you can find in any host these days. But hey, at least it doesn't crash when closing the GUI!

EDIT 2: I strongly rescind my suggestion that using these plugins would be a good idea! :phew:

:lol: :tu: ... :phew:

That 's just an interesting candidate:
https://github.com/mikerodd/june-21/releases
This is a Roland Juno emulation that can read and play Juno 1/2, MKS-50 presets
Pros: It's just cool, in the spirit of Dexed and SQ8L!
Cons: This is still in development. And, it seems, it works on the " audience award among sound engines " - cabbage. Yes, a dubious minus...
I haven't launched it yet, and I just assume that this synthesizer deserves attention and after some time may become a good candidate for getting a monthly subscription to the OSC challenge!

Your post has 1000% more information than the github page...; - ) Seems a bit early...

Just putting in a request that the April 2020 synth be something capable and deep so we can dig in. So many of us are stuck at home. CheeseMachine was, well, CheeseMachine. ;)

Sounds like it’s time for another “anything goes” challenge!

This seems to be a brilliant candidate for the next round:
https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2
Very responsive dev as well...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542997

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:34 am This seems to be a brilliant candidate for the next round:
Yeah that one looks pretty good for an OSC synth! EDIT: I just downloaded and tried it out. WOW, that's a really capable synth with a bunch of sound design potential! Really impressive, tbh!

Tj Shredder wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:34 am
This seems to be a brilliant candidate for the next round:
I agree. Looks realy promising. But I failed by installing it to my win7/64bit PC.
I see it in the VST.INI of my Reaper. But the entry is not complete. Tried to install the mentioned "latest VC++ Redistributable". No difference :(
Than I installed it to my PC in the office with Win10/64 and it worked in Reaper (btw, the GUI is realy much so tiny). I copied the entry from this VST.INI file to my music PC - hey, that would be too simple. No success :cry:

Any ideas?
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

I found the problem!

My CPU is too old. It does not uderstsand the AVX instruction set :x

photonic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm I found the problem!

Ah, that’s the cause :(
Has you reported it?
:)
:nutter: if you can read this, your screen is big

Joi Polloi wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Has you reported it?
No need to report that. It was allready mentioned on the webside from TheWaveWarden:
CPU - CPU with AVX instruction set (about 2012 or later)

photonic wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:03 am
Joi Polloi wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Has you reported it?
No need to report that. It was allready mentioned on the webside from TheWaveWarden:
CPU - CPU with AVX instruction set (about 2012 or later)
Photonic, I have the same issue that you but it seems the AVX limitation is gone, according to this post of TheWaveWarden:
TheWaveWarden wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:17 am I just uploaded Version 2.0.17 beta. This version should:

- finally put an end to the crashes when selecting certain modmatrix sources!
- remove requirement for AVX instructions - everybody with a computer from this century can use Odin now :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=7734977#p7734977

:party:

Thank you very much E-LectroBit :tu:

This new version realy works! Allready has a 2hours noodeling with it. Wow, a lot to learn what all the oscillators and filter can do and how the filter matrix works.
The only problem I saw till now is aftertouch. I got no effect from it, whatever I tried.

photonic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm Thank you very much E-LectroBit :tu:

This new version realy works! Allready has a 2hours noodeling with it. Wow, a lot to learn what all the oscillators and filter can do and how the filter matrix works.
The only problem I saw till now is aftertouch. I got no effect from it, whatever I tried.
Yeah I have this one on my bugs-list. If you're up for it: I could need a tester for this specific bug (I don't have a keyboard with aftertouch, so I implemented it "blindly" - big surprise: It isn't working :D ). If so contact me via the contact email on my homepage. It might be a few days until I tend to the matter though!

On topic: I would be honored if Odin 2 was chosen for an OSC. I think I got most crashes fixed by now, however there might be still some bugs lurking somewhere. It's a beta-phase after all :wink:

How is the decision process, who's in charge? I'd appreciate if you contacted me if this something planned, so we can prepare for it! Same email as mentioned above :tu:

Return to “Instruments”