Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

I tried out the melodic techno demo for Unify but the serum fx plugin doesn't load and I have the latest version of serum installed on my MacBook pro.

Also have the latest version of unify as well.

Any ideas as to the root cause?

It's cool. I figured it out. :)

TechM3X wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 am I tried out the melodic techno demo for Unify but the serum fx plugin doesn't load and I have the latest version of serum installed on my MacBook pro.
For the benefit of others: this happens when you haven't registered the SerumFX VST (which is separate from Serum itself) in Unify's Known Plug-Ins list. See the Unify online manual at https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/dok ... l_plug-ins

OMG! I got the Arturia Collection 7 on sale yesterday and I have to tell you.....
Unify with all of those vintage synths is GLORIOUS!!!! This should keep me busy for years to come.
Thanks again John and Shane for a great product!

Laqua wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:52 pm OMG! I got the Arturia Collection 7 on sale yesterday and I have to tell you.....
Unify with all of those vintage synths is GLORIOUS!!!! This should keep me busy for years to come.
Thanks again John and Shane for a great product!
...And this is just the beginning...watch :)

getdunne wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm
TechM3X wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 am I tried out the melodic techno demo for Unify but the serum fx plugin doesn't load and I have the latest version of serum installed on my MacBook pro.
For the benefit of others: this happens when you haven't registered the SerumFX VST (which is separate from Serum itself) in Unify's Known Plug-Ins list. See the Unify online manual at https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual/dok ... l_plug-ins

:phones: :hyper: :party: Hi Shane, tell me, is there an estimated release and realization date for Unify Pro? We are all in quarantine and we want more! Let us know! regards! :hyper: 8) :love: :phones:

Chipi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:02 am
getdunne wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm

:phones: :hyper: :party: Hi Shane, tell me, is there an estimated release date for Unify Pro? ...We are all in quarantine and we want more! Let us know! regards! :hyper: 8) :love: :phones:

getdunne wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 pm
dionenoid wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm I appreciate all the updates and added functionality. But is there any word about the latency thing ?

Would love to actually use Unify for leads and arps without having to manually move parts around, or without worrying about what plug-ins i can or can not use.

When i look at other instruments i see for example in PhasePlant that the changing latency by using different snap-ins is always reported and thus everything is played tight and in sync. Is it hard to implement something like that in Unify ?
Latency compensation is still on my to-do list, but so are a great many other things, so it may be a while before I can get to it. It's not "hard", but it will require careful implementation and a lot of testing.

Which plug-ins do you use that add enough latency that parts don't play tight? I'm genuinely curious, and also I need to know which ones to test with. (Preferably, not expensive ones...)
It's very easy to test and hear which ones add latency :
- Use one layer with Guru sampler, choose a loop.
- Duplicate that layer.
- Both loops play in sync, as expected.
- Add a plug-in to that duplicated layer, the sound will change :
------Small differences with plug-ins that only add a bit of latency (like Loudmax).
------Big differences with plug-ins that add more latency (like Fabfilter Pro-L2 for example).
Plus : the more plug-ins you add to that duplicated layer, the more delayed it will play back.

And that internal latency is adding up on the master layer :
Every plug-in that has a bit of latency will cause Unify to play with more and more delay in your daw. For fun try adding Pro-L2 and Soothe to the master layer. Totally unplayable.

I've found that most plug-ins with some sort of lookahead are unuseable. But also most plug-ins that use oversampling. So most saturators, distortions, limiters, the better compressors and eq's, all sorts of analog emulations, de-essers, multibands etc.
And even when a plug-in itself adds only a bit of latency, it's when you use a couple of them that it results in pretty big delays.
More BPM please

Chipi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:02 am ...is there an estimated release and realization date for Unify Pro?
Unify Pro most likely won't appear until next year. Too many things still to do on Unify Standard.

We don't do projected release dates. Things get released when they're done and stable enough to go out.

We're delighted to know you're enjoying Unify, and we think Unify Pro will be worth the wait!

@dionenoid Thank you for the detailed explanation about latency. We've spent all our time on plug-ins suitable for playing live, so we haven't had to deal with substantial latency yet. This is definitely on my to-do list!

getdunne wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 am
Chipi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:02 am ...is there an estimated release and realization date for Unify Pro?
Unify Pro most likely won't appear until next year. Too many things still to do on Unify Standard.

We don't do projected release dates. Things get released when they're done and stable enough to go out.

We're delighted to know you're enjoying Unify, and we think Unify Pro will be worth the wait!
Is there a wishlist somewhere of items which might be added to the Pro version?

Examigan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:28 pm Is there a wishlist somewhere of items which might be added to the Pro version?
Yes, it's 17 pages long and growing. Feel free to post any wishes here, and I'll add them. There is also a "Unify Feature Requests" forum at https://forums.pluginguru.com.

dionenoid wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:09 am
Every plug-in that has a bit of latency will cause Unify to play with more and more delay in your daw. For fun try adding Pro-L2 and Soothe to the master layer. Totally unplayable.
Well, Pro-L is a mastering limiter, so adds a lot of latency. It's not meant to be used on realtime playing.

getdunne wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:23 pm
Examigan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:28 pm Is there a wishlist somewhere of items which might be added to the Pro version?
Yes, it's 17 pages long and growing. Feel free to post any wishes here, and I'll add them. There is also a "Unify Feature Requests" forum at https://forums.pluginguru.com.
I don't know if there is a trick way to do this, but I'd like something similar to a Hold button (on some plugins) as it would be cool to have for each layer whenever you want to use it, and a record feature to output the audio from the standalone version to a WAV file.

waltercruz wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 pm
dionenoid wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:09 am
Well, Pro-L is a mastering limiter, so adds a lot of latency. It's not meant to be used on realtime playing.
Every plug-in that has latency adds latency to Unify. I gave the example of Pro-L2 because it's very obvious to hear with that one, you can even hear the time differences when switching algo's inside Pro-L2.

Btw : Every preset in Unify has Loudmax on it, which is also a limiter, and also adds latency.

As soon as you record your real-time playing in your daw, you'll notice the latency that's added by Unify. And the more plug-ins you use inside Unify, the higher that latency becomes.

But even at real-time playing : Add a few plug-ins to a layer and that layer starts going out of sync with other layers : arps start playing out of sync, beats are not tight etc.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”