New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

CircuitEYE wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:25 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:41 pm Add a third oscillator.
Yes, or a forth....
A lot of systems will fall over and it will could potentially it unusable to many working live.

I would just like a sub oscillator in dual wavetable mode.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:57 am Wow, awesome stuff indeed, Simon. :tu: When will your Pigments 2 library be released?
I've just started collecting, but sooner than later.
That's the spirit! Looking forward to it! :tu:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

As a quick recommend - if you are making ITB electronica or anything in a synth bass style then the Sub Fleet preset pack is a good buy.

Very useable bass patches with lots of options for macro modulation and some grit and grind.

And by the way all the preset packs are at 50% at the moments (as well as all the software instruments and effects) :).

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:41 pm I would love dual wavetable plus analog sub osc.
The Wavetable and Sample engines have a Sub oscillator in the Modulator section.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 am Improvising live on video with a custom Pigments 2 patch which uses an electric guitar soundscape in granular OSC1 and an analog synth sound in OSC2, tweaking the installed Macros and the modulation wheel/aftertouch on the fly.
This highlights a problem I have with a lot of VSTi - why do you need to be able to do that from a single instrument? That sort of thing is what I have Cubase for. It is definitely very impressive but pointless. It tells me this instrument has been made for "sound designers" because I find that Pigments is pretty much useless in a mix. I really like working with it but every time I try and put it into a song it fails and I end up using something else. It is both frustrating and disappointing because it's a synth I want to use all the time but most of the time it doesn't deliver.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Big question mark. That totally depends on the music you're producing, doesn't it? Those kind of patches fit very well into my mixes and also playing live gigs with these kind of sounds is very inspiring, so...

BONES wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:19 am I really like working with it but every time I try and put it into a song it fails and I end up using something else. It is both frustrating and disappointing because it's a synth I want to use all the time but most of the time it doesn't deliver.
It shows there is so much more music than what your style of songs expects... If you like working with it, let it lead you to new grounds and simply don‘t try to destroy it with what your band is used to deliver...
I agree, its not useful for Novakill, but it seems there are areas of music you could relate to if you‘d allow yourself to go there. So much more to explore...

Igro wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:32 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:41 pm I would love dual wavetable plus analog sub osc.
The Wavetable and Sample engines have a Sub oscillator in the Modulator section.
OH YEAH!

I kind of have a similar experience to Bones. When I use Pigments, all or nearly all other sound sources come from Pigments. So usually I will start a project or song with pigments and use it exclusively, or not use it all.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm I kind of have a similar experience to Bones. When I use Pigments, all or nearly all other sound sources come from Pigments. So usually I will start a project or song with pigments and use it exclusively, or not use it all.
Interesting finding!

For me it's the opposite... but still kinda same, so to speak... :wink:

I have found I don't use it for the bread'n'butter stuff of the songs (I use simpler and less CPU-hungry synths and romplers for that), but for a break or third chorus or so, I bring out some granular pad beast from Pigments. So, it plays well as a contrast to other synths in my (not so new-agey) music.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 amBig question mark. That totally depends on the music you're producing, doesn't it? Those kind of patches fit very well into my mixes and also playing live gigs with these kind of sounds is very inspiring, so...
No, that's not it at all. I don't use presets, I make my own sounds and the fact I can't make sounds that work in my mixes points to a problem with the synth, not the style of music I make. As I said, it is really frustrating because I love the synth, I just can't make it work the way I need it to.
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:37 amIt shows there is so much more music than what your style of songs expects... If you like working with it, let it lead you to new grounds and simply don‘t try to destroy it with what your band is used to deliver...
That's ridiculous. It can make exactly the types of sounds we use and, on it's own, they sound great. But when I try to put them into a mix, it can't compete with everything around it. Only an idiot would let their instruments decide what kind of music they make, that's completely nuckin' futz. The music is what matters, the instruments are there to serve it, not the other way around.
I agree, its not useful for Novakill...
It should be because I've got some really good sounds out of it, and quite a few of them, too. It has all the right ingredients but, in the end, it struggles to hold it's own against even lesser synths. e.g. Union, which is the complete opposite of Pigments - it's PITA to use and it's basic architecture tells me it shouldn't be all that useful (no X-mod, etc.) but I can drop it into any mix and get it working almost instantly.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pigments 2 is quickly becoming a go-to for layering with "organic" modelers for me. Blends well and easily in the mix. Captures the types of synthesis I look for without sticking out like a sore thumb.

(BTW, I have Union too, which so far, serves only one purpose. And that's to buy something cheap to get the current store freebie I actually want. It's not a bad synth, but its sound is rather droll in the current offerings.)

What the hell does "droll" mean in this context? Union has presence, it sits in a mix without dominating, which is kind of how I expected Pigments to be, given that it doesn't necessarily have a full sound, but Pigments gets swamped where Union holds its own.

Return to “Instruments”