VST Synths you purchased that were very disappointing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

felis wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:46 am All the ones that don't run anymore. Very disappointing.
Agreed! :(

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:31 pm Sonivox Twist. A purchase that gives the lie to "no-brainer deal". There is practically no price at which it makes sense. If you got it for free, you'd probably feel justified demanding compensation for wasted time.

Hexeract ain't that great either, it's true. But it is by no means in the same ballpark as Twist.
Yeah, IMO Sonivox in general sucks (sorry!).

kvotchin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:57 pm Wusikstation
Iris
VocalSynth
Serum
Gotta agree with Iris. I was so excited to get it and at this point I never use it. Seems to be a deep, capable synth (with a few unfortunate bugs), but I just couldn't get on with it.

clipnotic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:01 pm For various reasons ... :D

VST synths:

- Vengeance Avenger
- GForce ImpOSCar
- Wusikstation
- Korg Mono/Poly (Legacy VST)
- Korg Wavestation (Legacy VST)
- Dune 1 (Dune 2 and 3 are good)
- Rob Papen SubBoomBass
- Rob Papen Albino 3
- Rob Papen Predator
- z3ta 1 & 2
- East West Symphonic Choirs
- East West Voices of Passion
- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Image Line Harmor
- Image LIne Sakura
- uhe Zebra (but support is really great!)
- NI Absynth 3 and 4
- NI FM8
- Waldorf Largo
- Steinberg Padshop

other VSTs:

- FXpansion Geist 2
- Spectrasonics Stylus RMX (Omnisphere and Trilian are great)
- NI Battery 3
- Sugar Bytes Effectrix
- Sugar Bytes Turnado
- Sugar Bytes Consequence
Only those? :wink:

I didn’t get along with Falcon, actually just the programming, the sound and presets were great. Maybe my brain was just melted but i found it quite frustrating to patch. Probably should have kept it and revisited later? Some updates/upgrades have been questionable but usually i just wait until i’m sure i want them.
Otherwise i am quite happy with my vst synth stash (and effects).
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:58 am Gotta agree with Iris. I was so excited to get it and at this point I never use it. Seems to be a deep, capable synth (with a few unfortunate bugs), but I just couldn't get on with it.
Iris was a very promising piece and that’s the perfect example of a botched upgrade IMO.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

claudedefaren wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 am Synthmaster here. Both Synthmaster 2.9 and Synthmaster One are riddled with bugs, and the unison detune isn't great either. I have found way too many different bugs and flaws with both of those synths. KV331 doesn't seem to pay attention to their support forum here either.
I agree with you about Synthmaster but I love Synthmaster One; I haven't noticed any bugs in SM One yet, though, so...

If you don't mind me asking, are you on Mac or Win?

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 am
clipnotic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:01 pm For various reasons ... :D

VST synths:

- Vengeance Avenger
- GForce ImpOSCar
- Wusikstation
- Korg Mono/Poly (Legacy VST)
- Korg Wavestation (Legacy VST)
- Dune 1 (Dune 2 and 3 are good)
- Rob Papen SubBoomBass
- Rob Papen Albino 3
- Rob Papen Predator
- z3ta 1 & 2
- East West Symphonic Choirs
- East West Voices of Passion
- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Image Line Harmor
- Image LIne Sakura
- uhe Zebra (but support is really great!)
- NI Absynth 3 and 4
- NI FM8
- Waldorf Largo
- Steinberg Padshop

other VSTs:

- FXpansion Geist 2
- Spectrasonics Stylus RMX (Omnisphere and Trilian are great)
- NI Battery 3
- Sugar Bytes Effectrix
- Sugar Bytes Turnado
- Sugar Bytes Consequence
Only those? :wink:
:hihi:

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:05 am
Russell Grand wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:58 am Gotta agree with Iris. I was so excited to get it and at this point I never use it. Seems to be a deep, capable synth (with a few unfortunate bugs), but I just couldn't get on with it.
Iris was a very promising piece and that’s the perfect example of a botched upgrade IMO.
Exactly, Wizard. It's a shame really.

Wusikstation
Einklang
Mangle
Sample Tank
Digital Synsations
Neo Soul Keys
Superior Drummer
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

I agree on Effectrix. It was fun to play with, but I never feel compelled to use it.

Iris 2--I love its concept, and I don't get why there aren't newer "synths" with this ability to grab sections of a spectral image. Steinberg has SpectralLayers, but it's for sound editing. But Iris 2--I just don't like the GUI.

Biotek 2--I dislike creating sounds with it. The granular controls are limited. It does have some nice presets.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

KhS ONE
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Since i am a developer i won't mention software synths. My biggest disappointments in hardware:

Waldorf Microwave 2, Waldorf Blofeld:
I bought these synths because of the wavetable synthesis.
I was disappointed by the harsh sound of the filters and the user-interface.

Access Virus ti:
I bought this one to do measurements for the hypersaws. Imho one of the most overhyped synths out there.
If someone is interested in it contact me

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:37 am
robotmonkey wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:50 pm Pretty much all of them.
Never heard of a demo, eh?
Who has time to mess around with demos. :hihi:
No signature here!

^ Yeah... I wouldn't ever pay proper money for a synth I hadn't demo'ed but, meh, that's me, perfect... :hihi:

I think Iris 2 is my only real disappointment though that was when it was free so doesn't really count. Spectral stuff is fun but I struggled to get on with it beyond that, just didn't gel with my workflow.

not many:

bx_oberhausen: i have the sem v2, i use it a lot. i thought the extra stuff in oberhausen, unison, fm modulation, would make an addition. no, not for me. and buggy as hell. the sem v2 i get better results, the unison feature doesn't do it for me.
soundspot union: not bad, but i don't use it. so disappointment, i thought i could do more with. maybe it will.
synthmaster one: also not bad, pretty good. bought on impulse. i have many other better wavetable synths, or better, better for me. like synthmaster 2.9 by the way. but is no addition to what i already have and can do.

selling them, only oberhausen, can give me some money back...

all other synths i bought i like.

Return to “Instruments”