Help me choose my first polyphonic synth.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YouTube the bejeezass out of all those you are considering, assuming you haven’t already.

Short of trying them in a store (okay, probably not in these times), that is your best bet. Also maybe hit up SoundCloud - sometimes there’s some good examples there too.

My own recommendation, for what it’s worth, is to get a nice analog polysynth, even if you need to save for it. Nothing comes close.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:41 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:25 am So instead of rational thinking, what does your heart say? Mine says "if I had 1500€ or more, I'd grab the best analog poly I can get :lol:
That said, the combination of these is very tempting

https://www.thomann.de/fi/asm_hydrasynt ... cf040cc504
https://www.thomann.de/fi/novation_49sl_mkiii.htm

I think I'll leave this thread in peace before I destroy my credit card balance with stuff I can't afford right now :dog:
As you know, I already have an SL MKIII. If I buy a poly, probably going to be desktop version.

kvotchin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 am YouTube the bejeezass out of all those you are considering, assuming you haven’t already.

Short of trying them in a store (okay, probably not in these times), that is your best bet. Also maybe hit up SoundCloud - sometimes there’s some good examples there too.

My own recommendation, for what it’s worth, is to get a nice analog polysynth, even if you need to save for it. Nothing comes close.
I think I'm going to go hybrid or analog, probably hybrid, because I already have a Moog Grandmother, so I'm covered on the bass, lead and arp department. But like you said, saving a little bit more and getting a poly analog module like an OB-6 for example, is very tentative.

Tino Fiumara wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:41 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:25 am So instead of rational thinking, what does your heart say? Mine says "if I had 1500€ or more, I'd grab the best analog poly I can get :lol:
That said, the combination of these is very tempting

https://www.thomann.de/fi/asm_hydrasynt ... cf040cc504
https://www.thomann.de/fi/novation_49sl_mkiii.htm

I think I'll leave this thread in peace before I destroy my credit card balance with stuff I can't afford right now :dog:
As you know, I already have an SL MKIII. If I buy a poly, probably going to be desktop version.
Okay? You just said in the first post that you need a midi controller so I thought that you need one :D

Tino Fiumara wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 pm As you know, I already have an SL MKIII. If I buy a poly, probably going to be desktop version.
Well why comment on aftertouch on Prologue, it has aftertouch on midi in!

Just assuming SL has aftertouch then, being so important to you.

Roland Jupiter Xm : the best of a lot of worlds in one synth.
If you have not yet a polysynth, there is nothing better for the price at this moment as far as I can see.
If you want even more knobs and have a higher budget : Roland Jupiter X.

PatrickW wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:55 am Roland Jupiter X.
Virtual analog 3 synths and 4 drum machines in a box. Not sure what to think of it :D

Jupiter Xm - mini keys.
Jupiter X - full size keys
Makes Xm a toy more or less.

I'd rather go for a System-8 in this case. But suffers from only 64 memories for patches.

But overall - Prologue offers a lot, sounds great, fun to work with knobs for 95%, extend with user oscillators and such if built in multiengine is not enough. 500 preset slots and decent librarian to move things around to make room as you create new patches. A lot of headroom in Prologue.

Access Virus TI2 (there and there, but might got lucky and get the desktop around 1500) <- does not function as intended on MacOS Catalina atm tho.
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

lfm wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 am
Tino Fiumara wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 pm As you know, I already have an SL MKIII. If I buy a poly, probably going to be desktop version.
Well why comment on aftertouch on Prologue, it has aftertouch on midi in!

Just assuming SL has aftertouch then, being so important to you.
After touch is not so important to me, I just needed to say something ''negative'' about ir, some con. I like the Prologue but there are more flexible options in terms of sound design. Still considerating it.

Hey guys, new user on KVR - longtime audio aficionado in the process of transitioning from digital to hardware setup.

I saw you mentioned Novation Peak on the 1st page though in a negative light. I got mine a few weeks ago (sadly haven't had much time to play with it much) but one of the first things I noticed was about the sound quality as well, seeming a bit less than organic / analogue to put it mildly. I guess I'll just use it for a stepping stone and try to make the best out of the sound for now, LOL.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 pmIf getting away from a computer is important in this decision, I recommend that you don't choose menu diving synths.
I'd suggest the opposite - VSTi all have one knob per function so if you're sick of that, trying something that isn't one knob per function might be just what's needed.
A lot of the suggestions you've received so far have an awful lot of menu parameter levels to get through. I'd try to stick with something that has a lot of panel control with the options being tweak stuff and not main controller stuff.
Maybe if all you want to do is make patches but if you want to use the instrument to actually create music, then it is of little consequence in the overall process.
christian f. wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:48 pm Get a vintage synth. Better investment and of course arguably will sound better.
Personally, I rather have any "lower end" vintage synths than any of the new synths from Behringer to Dave Smith.
For $1500 you could get a combination of things like Kong DW 8000 , Poly Six , Poly 61 , Roland Juno 6, 106, JX 3P , Ensoniq ESQ 1, Sequential Prophet 600.
All of those synths are rubbish compared to even freeware softsynths. If you are going to spend proper money, you should at least be looking at something useful. I've owned and used half of them and I wouldn't swap Tyrell N6 or Zampler for any of them. (Actually, I would because I can always download them again for free, then sell the hardware and make some money.)
kvotchin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 amMy own recommendation, for what it’s worth, is to get a nice analog polysynth, even if you need to save for it. Nothing comes close.
My farts come close. I have several of each in my current set-up and, honestly, I get a lot more use out of the digital synths because they can do so much more and they sound just as good. I would never make a purchasing decision based on whether a synth was digital or analogue, there are way more important factors to consider.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

OK, if you want my recommendation, I'll make it from synths I have owned over the past three years or so, which include a couple of Roland Boutiques, a Monologue, a Minilogue, Rocket, Pulse 2, Uno, Skulpt, MicroMonsta, Craft 2.0, Trueno, Analog Four and Ultranova. If I could only have one out of all those synths it would be Ultranova. It sounds amazing, is a good size to fit into any set-up and it will never let you down.

You get 18 voice polyphony, 14 different filter types, 36 wavetables, 5 effects slots and it even comes with it's own audio interface, so using it with your existing computer set-up is a breeze. You'll even be able to run your Moog through it, mixing it with the output from your computer and the Ultranova, so you won't need a mixer. It has a full-size 37 key keyboard with aftertouch and enough front panel controls to make it really easy to work with and to tweak during live performance. In fact, it has a whole range of features geared to live performance (that I've never used). You can still pick one up brand new if you're lucky and it will only set you back half of your budget. I've probably owned around 50 synths in my lifetime and Ultranova is easily, hands down the best of the lot of 'em. I've had it for 8 and a bit years now, which is more than twice as long as I've ever owned any other synth. I can't imagine ever being without it, it's just too good to let go.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:38 am OK, if you want my recommendation, I'll make it from synths I have owned over the past three years or so, which include a couple of Roland Boutiques, a Monologue, a Minilogue, Rocket, Pulse 2, Uno, Skulpt, MicroMonsta, Craft 2.0, Trueno, Analog Four and Ultranova. If I could only have one out of all those synths it would be Ultranova. It sounds amazing, is a good size to fit into any set-up and it will never let you down.

You get 18 voice polyphony, 14 different filter types, 36 wavetables, 5 effects slots and it even comes with it's own audio interface, so using it with your existing computer set-up is a breeze. You'll even be able to run your Moog through it, mixing it with the output from your computer and the Ultranova, so you won't need a mixer. It has a full-size 37 key keyboard with aftertouch and enough front panel controls to make it really easy to work with and to tweak during live performance. In fact, it has a whole range of features geared to live performance (that I've never used). You can still pick one up brand new if you're lucky and it will only set you back half of your budget. I've probably owned around 50 synths in my lifetime and Ultranova is easily, hands down the best of the lot of 'em. I've had it for 8 and a bit years now, which is more than twice as long as I've ever owned any other synth. I can't imagine ever being without it, it's just too good to let go.
Thanks for taking your time to write. I will consider the Novation Ultranova as an option. For now buying a new synth is not so urgent, I'm going to wait, do my homework a little bit more and save all these helpful comments.

Much appreciated brother.

Bit of advice: don't take, well, advice regarding analog polysynths of quality, from people who have no idea how they truly sound, much less ever owned one.

But in the end, I don't truly care what you or anyone else happens to buy.

Best of luck, and hope you end up with something you enjoy greatly. :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”