Your thoughts on Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist Geist2

simmo75 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:08 pm Quick Geist2 question.
Can you drag and drop samples onto Geist 2’s pads via your DAW browser?
In the tutorials people seem to use the Geist browser.
Drag and drop from anywhere on your system with the right keystroke modifiers. In reaper its CTRL ALT DRAG

focusrite wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 pm
rpm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 pm Another quick Geist 2 question:
Can I sample computer audio (e.g., from a youtube video playing in my browser) directly into Geist 2? The reaperblog guy demonstrates sampling audio from Reaper into Geist 2 but I am trying to find the easiest way to sample from youtube and slice and loop. I can sample with audacity but it seems difficult to chop and to start looping immediately to see if it will sound good as musical phrases.

In fact, if you know a very efficient way other than Geist 2, please point me to it. Thanks!
Route audio into your daw, set geist to sample external audio
I wanted to sample directly into Geist because, if I can, I want to avoid extra burden on the CPU. But I guess your answer suggests that this is not possible, so I will have to insert the DAW inbetween. The thing is, I'm not even sure that the computer audio can be routed into the DAW (Waveform 8.). Thanks for the reply.
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

rpm wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm
focusrite wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 pm
rpm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 pm Another quick Geist 2 question:
Can I sample computer audio (e.g., from a youtube video playing in my browser) directly into Geist 2? The reaperblog guy demonstrates sampling audio from Reaper into Geist 2 but I am trying to find the easiest way to sample from youtube and slice and loop. I can sample with audacity but it seems difficult to chop and to start looping immediately to see if it will sound good as musical phrases.

In fact, if you know a very efficient way other than Geist 2, please point me to it. Thanks!
Route audio into your daw, set geist to sample external audio
I wanted to sample directly into Geist because, if I can, I want to avoid extra burden on the CPU. But I guess your answer suggests that this is not possible, so I will have to insert the DAW inbetween. The thing is, I'm not even sure that the computer audio can be routed into the DAW (Waveform 8.). Thanks for the reply.
On the standalone version you can use the inputs from your sound card.

https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

Seems like that is only 32-bit. I'll try the computer audio > DAW > Geist 2 first. Thanks!

this from the manual:
• Spitter2
Spitter2 is used to route audio from a host DAW into Geist2's sampler. By loading an instance of
Spitter2 to the track you wish to record, you can then sample the incoming audio by changing the
input of Geist2's sampler to 'Spitter2' (or whatever you may have renamed the instance of
Spitter2 running in your DAW).

It's all in the manual.

Thanks, good to be reminded of Splitter but I'm trying to figure out how to get computer audio directly in Geist 2, rather than getting DAW audio into Geist. Maybe this is not possible and my DAW also cannot receive computer audio (unless I guess I spend 109 bucks on an upgrade which gives me a new sampler device that can directly sample computer audio). All of this is no big deal, I'll just sample some other way and drag-drop those into Geist. I just wanted to see if there was a quicker way to try a lot of random samples from the internet in my songs in Geist. cheers!

rpm wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:38 am Thanks, good to be reminded of Splitter but I'm trying to figure out how to get computer audio directly in Geist 2, rather than getting DAW audio into Geist. Maybe this is not possible and my DAW also cannot receive computer audio (unless I guess I spend 109 bucks on an upgrade which gives me a new sampler device that can directly sample computer audio). All of this is no big deal, I'll just sample some other way and drag-drop those into Geist. I just wanted to see if there was a quicker way to try a lot of random samples from the internet in my songs in Geist. cheers!

http://www.virtualaudiostream.com/ is $29

Or you can rip YouTube audio with jdownloader

Thanks, I can record with Audacity and that'll do. cheers!

My thoughts on Geist 2 :D

I bought Geist 2 some years ago and it crashes constantly in my DAW. Therefore I wrote in their forum, that I want my money back, but they explained me the never ending story in the VST world, that it could be my DAW and so on. So I uninstalled it and never used it again. Perhaps meanwhile it got many updates and it could work on my system now, but if I'm pissed, than forever. :D

clipnotic wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:16 pm My thoughts on Geist 2 :D

I bought Geist 2 some years ago and it crashes constantly in my DAW. Therefore I wrote in their forum, that I want my money back, but they explained me the never ending story in the VST world, that it could be my DAW and so on. So I uninstalled it and never used it again. Perhaps meanwhile it got many updates and it could work on my system now, but if I'm pissed, than forever. :D
You might want to sell it to me, if you don‘t use it?
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:57 pm

ha ha, is this possible? How works the license transfer? :D

I see in my account, I have Bloom, too. But it's discontinued ... :D

Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:57 pm

I really have not used it in anything I've produced. I always have the plan to learn it thoroughly but never get around. So yeah, I would consider selling it except where I'm located, paypal doesn't work.

Are they really want 50$ for a license transfer??? 🤣

Hoping Geist 2 finally starts getting some support.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:49 pm Hoping Geist 2 finally starts getting some support.
I read that Roli just sold BFD. I hope they sell Geist as well.

Geist is basically abandonware. It is technically still being developed, but the pace of development is so slow that it actually falls farther behind. Unfortunately, FXpansion is unable to give Geist what it deserves. Geist 2 is a great tool... but it needs some solid work and that just aint gonna happen housed where it is. It needs an enthusiastic (and solvent) new developer.

Return to “Instruments”